Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:26 PM

160 posts, read 148,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
he's just trying to be funny because hes mad he isnt as good looking as us Brazilians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 07:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
is it just me or is there construction in every single corner of the city?
That is a good thing.

[]

Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,649 times
There really is. Construction is everywhere. I'm in noho and it's only getting started.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:22 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,886 times
In south bay too. They're tearing up the center medians. I avoid Carson St. They have that tore up and down to one lane for a stretch. They're basically fixing stuff that was never broke. They should spend that money on repaving pot holed and bumpy roads and streets.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
Quote:
perhaps you should have realized the areas im talking about are far from where I bought my condo?

i thought geeks were intelligent? guess i was wrong booboocakes.
The property near transit is/will be valued much higher. I'd rather have bought in one of "those areas" if I were you, you'd make a much bigger profit in 5-10 years.

Also to those complaining "they should be spending this money on fixing roads!!" sorry but that's idiotic. Private builders are building these buildings (say that three times fast ) , it's the city's job to maintain public streets.

And where the city is (barely) pitching in, I'd say they're putting money in the right place. Driving on mildly bumpy roads is a mild inconvenience, whereas everyone needs a place to live.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:49 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
The property near transit is/will be valued much higher. I'd rather have bought in one of "those areas" if I were you, you'd make a much bigger profit in 5-10 years.

Also to those complaining "they should be spending this money on fixing roads!!" sorry but that's idiotic.Private builders are building these buildings (say that three times fast ) , it's the city's job to maintain public streets.

And where the city is (barely) pitching in, I'd say they're putting money in the right place. Driving on mildly bumpy roads is a mild inconvenience, whereas everyone needs a place to live.
You could not resist taking a cheap shot instead of contributing some intelligence?

Also, the median in the middle of the road is being privately financed? The landscaping at Carson city hall is privately financed too?

It looks more like the city has come into some money somehow and city council decided to give these "beautifying" projects to the lowest bidders and pocket the difference.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post

Also, the median in the middle of the road is being privately financed? The landscaping at Carson city hall is privately financed too?

It looks more like the city has come into some money somehow and city council decided to give these "beautifying" projects to the lowest bidders and pocket the difference.
Are you talking about the part of Carson Street in downtown Carson? That project is publicly funded (mostly with bonds). A private contractor may be building it but it is publicly financed.

Carson passes a $71.3 million fiscal year budget that’s late, but balanced

My understanding is the project is reducing the number of traffic lanes to create wider sidewalks and bike lanes. The medians will also be reduced in size to allow for wider sidewalks, bike lanes, landscaping, etc.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
More construction in L.A is a good thing...It means changes/improvements are on the way.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
More construction in L.A is a good thing...It means changes/improvements are on the way.
Yeah I think so for the most part. Also bring in more jobs too. Lot's of people seem to be antidevelopment..but L.A has a lot of older buildings that are in pretty bad shape

I'm not talking about nice old buildings that have been maintained and are historic...but the old ones that are pretty much falling apart.
Lot's of these landlords would like to develop their properties i'm sure..but the city makes it so hard.

It seems like you actually see a lot more bigger projects happening outside L.A...in Glendale there are a ton of larger buildings that seem to be under construction right now.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
Everybody and their mother wants to put up an apartment building. People keep coming to LA and they need to supply that demand.

Heck, House of Blues in WeHo, which was a nice venue, decided to close down cause they could make way more from selling the land to a developer for mixed use residential/retail than from running concerts.

To some extent we might be on the higher end of a residential real estate cycle where there might be a few too many overzealous developers hoping to cash in, but the fact is that there is housing demand to be met.

I wish people would stop posting photos of sunny LA during winter on social media. You're just feeding the frenzy of envious East Coast folks ditching another atrocious winter to move to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles