Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,187,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
^^Parts of Los Angeles are snobby...especially when compared to some other parts of the country.
You could say that about any city considering how trashy and backward some parts of the country are. To label Los Angeles a snobby city is just dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:21 PM

29 posts, read 34,393 times
LA can be a very crowded but at the same time very lonely place. And some people feel evil here (see other posts!!)

Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You could say that about any city considering how trashy and backward some parts of the country are. To label Los Angeles a snobby city is just dumb.
I didn't label LA as a snobby city. I said "parts" of LA are snobby and probably more so than many other cities (peer cities with as much or even more of that than LA would include NYC, SF, Orange County, Miami, etc. to name a few).

That doesn't mean all or most of LA is like that. It is great that you've taken such a liking to your adopted city. But let's not kid ourselves...LA's got more than its fair share of plastic and snobby folks. I say all of the above as a "proud" native who is not afraid to admit that with all the "good" that comes with LA, there are also some "bad" aspects.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,187,386 times
Quote:
I didn't label LA as a snobby city. I said "parts" of LA are snobby and probably more so than many other cities (peer cities with as much or even more of that than LA would include NYC, SF, Orange County, Miami, etc. to name a few).

That doesn't mean all or most of LA is like that. It is great that you've taken such a liking to your adopted city. But let's not kid ourselves...LA's got more than its fair share of plastic and snobby folks. I say all of the above as a "proud" native who is not afraid to admit that with all the "good" that comes with LA, there are also some "bad" aspects.
Have you ever left Los Angeles?

Old 03-22-2016, 12:44 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Have you ever left Los Angeles?
Yes. Lived for over 5 years in the northeast (NYC area/Wash. DC). I've also traveled to over 35 states and about 10 different foreign countries.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
op; most everyone, from time to time dreams of living somewhere else for some reason or another. That doesn't mean the grass is always greener on the other side. Keep the dream but don't expect it to come true and keep in mind all you are hearing about the city: Expensive, crowded, no open spaces, poverty, 1/3 people don't speak English, high taxes, outrageously high rents and yes, nice weather. BTW, what does your husband have to say about your dream of living where the sun more? I see Los Angeles isn't the only place you dream of living. Maybe you were just having a bad day?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:24 AM

581 posts, read 921,770 times
Looks like the OP dropped this turd and left.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times
Quote:

Sorry, you need to visit FL....LOL. I lived there for a few years before coming back to CA and I used to comment and snicker to myself on how snobby and elitist the attitudes were. And thinking people think LA is snobby, not even close to what I saw in FL.

It's loaded with people who moved from the Northeast who sell their homes and pay cash for a home in a gated community, they think they have "arrived" and now they're rich. And they think being rich means being snobby and rude to store clerks and servers.

I don't see that here. I have relatives that live in a wealthy suburb of LA(they're there because they inherited the house), the neighbors are nice and have been there for years. It's old money.

The plastic and snobby you see in LA are for the most part young recent transplants. We have a few who post on this board...LOL.

They grew up watching LA on TV shows and think that's reality, and project that attitude.

The LA natives that I know are down to earth.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,100,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The plastic and snobby you see in LA are for the most part young recent transplants.

They grew up watching LA on TV shows and think that's reality, and project that attitude.

The LA natives that I know are down to earth.
Quoted for emphasis. Natives tend to be down to earth, whereas young transplants often seem to arrive with their nose in the air. Based on prior interactions with these people I think it's because they appear as though they "made it" to their family in HoDunk IN...but they just don't understand they're now a small fish in a mega pond.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Quoted for emphasis. Natives tend to be down to earth, whereas young transplants often seem to arrive with their nose in the air. Based on prior interactions with these people I think it's because they appear as though they "made it" to their family in HoDunk IN...but they just don't understand they're now a small fish in a mega pond.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles