Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A homeless parolee is being held without bail in connection with the crime.
Chalk another one up for Jerry Brown's early prison release program. And he wants to release more! Jerry Brown Wants to Release More Inmates Early - Breitbart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:40 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sure, of course they wouldn't choose to lose their lives over it, but I'm guessing if they worked in that type of work a long time similar things have happened before.
This is what I'm thinking, too. I'm sure this isn't the first time this couple had an incident like that. After a while, I'm sure you reach a breaking point with it where you just get tired of people like that ripping you off.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:59 AM

27 posts, read 28,053 times
I own a convenience store in Van Nuys. I purchased it in 2014 and have not made one dollar in profits from the store in 2 years. I also have a full-time job where I do get paid enough to live. So I've essentially had 2 full-time jobs between my regular office job and the store, and it is exhausting running a business like this. You work all day and night (remember what time convenience stores are open), you work weekends, and you work holidays. You want to know what my Thanksgiving dinners were the past 2 years? Carls Jr because that was the fastest thing I could manage after working a 14 hour day on the way home. You're dealing with small transactions for every purchase. So even if the items are small, these items represent my blood, sweat, and tears.

When hoodlums come in to my store and think they are being slick by stealing small items, you bet your ass I get pissed off and I have and will continue to confront these types of people. You have to understand how much sacrifice goes into building a business like this, and when you're barely scraping by financially, it absolutely behooves you to go after and confront guys like this for even small things.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxutilperusd View Post
I own a convenience store in Van Nuys. I purchased it in 2014 and have not made one dollar in profits from the store in 2 years. I also have a full-time job where I do get paid enough to live. So I've essentially had 2 full-time jobs between my regular office job and the store, and it is exhausting running a business like this. You work all day and night (remember what time convenience stores are open), you work weekends, and you work holidays. You want to know what my Thanksgiving dinners were the past 2 years? Carls Jr because that was the fastest thing I could manage after working a 14 hour day on the way home. You're dealing with small transactions for every purchase. So even if the items are small, these items represent my blood, sweat, and tears.

When hoodlums come in to my store and think they are being slick by stealing small items, you bet your ass I get pissed off and I have and will continue to confront these types of people. You have to understand how much sacrifice goes into building a business like this, and when you're barely scraping by financially, it absolutely behooves you to go after and confront guys like this for even small things.
Yeah people really don't realize how much work is put into these small businesses. I've looked at a lot of businesses for sale in L.A and people would be surprised to see how little they often make.
Sometimes it will be like $30,000 profit a year or something if they are lucky...but both the husband and wife are working full time there. They would probably be better off just working for someone else and have less headaches.

Another issue is you are going to have to start paying your employee(s) $15 an hour soon in L.A

Hoodlums of course don't care about anything or anyone.

I live in the valley also and I just saw a sign on a 7/11 by my house that had a picture of a guy running out with beer and said something like "Don't steal beer..it's not worth it!"
It had the name of the local city councilwoman on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles