Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM

27 posts, read 43,081 times

Advertisements

I know that L.A. probably has enough people in it (lol) but I have just graduated and I am really considering moving to L.A. It's something that I've been thinking about on-and-off for a year, but I am very serious about this now. I have about two months worth of savings to get started on but I will absolutely need a job to cover anything past that. What is the job market like for minimum wage earners? The unemployment rate in L.A. is 7.5% so that is a bit scary for me but it's hard to tell whether that is because people actually can't find a job or if it's because they just don't want a job because they're working on-and-off in the industry or something.

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Doing what?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 PM

27 posts, read 43,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Doing what?
Retail, food service, etc. Basically any 'starter job.'

Old 05-22-2016, 07:30 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Serious answer...

Min wage is something like $9-9.50 per hour.

Its difficult to find a room for rent at $500 and any lower is non existent. Most, esp in the SFV which used to be very easy to find rooms for rent due to large home sizes and relatively low cost, now rent at $700-800/mo.

On min wage you will take home $1000/Mo full time if you are lucky. As a single filer, on a wage of as low as around $11K you start paying fed and state taxes.

So the simple answer is that you cannot afford to live in Los Angeles area on minimum wage. You may ask how do others do it? The answer is there is another wage earner in the family or they simply live with family members.

Oh, and two months expenses is not nearly enough. Get some job experience in your degree field and consider moving in a few years when you can get a better paying job requiring specific experience.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Serious answer...

Min wage is something like $9-9.50 per hour.

Its difficult to find a room for rent at $500 and any lower is non existent. Most, esp in the SFV which used to be very easy to find rooms for rent due to large home sizes and relatively low cost, now rent at $700-800/mo.

On min wage you will take home $1000/Mo full time if you are lucky. As a single filer, on a wage of as low as around $11K you start paying fed and state taxes.

So the simple answer is that you cannot afford to live in Los Angeles area on minimum wage. You may ask how do others do it? The answer is there is another wage earner in the family or they simply live with family members.

Oh, and two months expenses is not nearly enough. Get some job experience in your degree field and consider moving in a few years when you can get a better paying job requiring specific experience.
This is all good advice but OP will probably come out regardless and then be posting here in a few months complaining about having to sleep in their car and asking how to qualify for section 8 and welfare like many other posters here

Old 05-22-2016, 09:01 PM

477 posts, read 276,869 times
Did the OP from high school or college/university? If the latter, what field of study?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,301 times
The job market is a hot mess out here. The truth of the matter is that wages are so low because those who never bothered to learn to speak English tell employers they will work for anything they're willing to pay them, thus, driving down wages.

For example, if I'm used to getting $17/hr for roofing in the eastern US and I come to L.A. expecting the same, not gonna happen. Why should the employer pay me $15/hr to do the job correctly when he can get a non English speaker to do the job wrong for $8/hr under-the-table?
It's almost the same with the service industry. Even if you do by some miracle manage to pull in more than minimum wage, rents here are EXPENSIVE.

If I were you, i would stay where you are and get a degree in the health field. Work for a couple years for experience and then, come to L.A.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,890 times
To answer your question, you can easily get a minimum wage job in L.A. If you present yourself well you'll be hired the same day.

The problem is that rent is very high. A one bedroom apartment goes for at least $1,000 and to move in you'll need first, last, and deposit.

If you're unskilled and need a higher paying job fast I suggest getting your commercial driver's license and driving an airport shuttle, a bus, or limo. That's a quick way to up your pay and there's plenty of those jobs available. Shuttle drivers will make about $20 an hour. Limo drivers can make $200 a day or so, depending on tips and clients.

Tom Falater

Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
OP, as others have stated already, one cannot survive on minimum wage on their own in Los Angeles. You'll need a roommate or at least make twice as much as minimum wage.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Oh and for anyone who thinks a $15 minimum wage will help...

1.) good luck getting a min wage job at that point

2.) if you think rents are high now, just wait until every working couple makes a minimum of $60k a year.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: