Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Oh and for anyone who thinks a $15 minimum wage will help...

1.) good luck getting a min wage job at that point

2.) if you think rents are high now, just wait until every working couple makes a minimum of $60k a year.....
Once we have minimum wage at $15 there will be less jobs. Go to a fast food restaurant in another country and you'll see that most have self ordering stations. I've seen some here at Jack in the Box. It's easy, no language barrier and orders get screwed up less. Grocery cashiers have already started getting phased out. Even my bank has new automated teller that does everything a human can do but better

The reality is most unskilled minimum wage jobs can be phsased out and replaced by technology and thats what companies are going to start doing instead of paying $15/hr to people who can easily be replaced by machines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 AM

103 posts, read 112,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Once we have minimum wage at $15 there will be less jobs. Go to a fast food restaurant in another country and you'll see that most have self ordering stations. I've seen some here at Jack in the Box. It's easy, no language barrier and orders get screwed up less. Grocery cashiers have already started getting phased out. Even my bank has new automated teller that does everything a human can do but better

The reality is most unskilled minimum wage jobs can be phsased out and replaced by technology and thats what companies are going to start doing instead of paying $15/hr to people who can easily be replaced by machines
I LOVE the automated tellers at Chase branches. It is way faster than actually talking to a teller and there are no lines and waiting for it. They got like 5 of them in every branch.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM

8,326 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
I have about two months worth of savings to get started on...
2-months worth based on what figure? Have you done your research based on the area you will be residing in to properly calculate the fixed monthly expenses such as rent/food/applicable utilities/transportation/car?

If you are at least 21 yo and interested in working as a bartender, it is very good $$ even as a PT job! It'll allow you to meet people and expand your social network as well. Even if you know squat about it, you can easily find a reputable bartender school which you could attend part-time and be done with within a matter of weeks.

I had a friend who was taking the classes like 10 years ago, more than just as a supplemental income but more so as a backup with this economy, that is a good skill to have and should be able to find a job just about anywhere. It works for both genders.

Then while you are working PT as a bartender, you could attend a college or whatever to develop some other skills and find a solid FT job.

Do your own search too, open a search engine and type "Best low skill jobs in Los Angeles". Everyone has one or two strong suits that they often fail to make use of. Figure it out.

Unless you are lazy, brain-dead or super low on self-esteem, don't settle for a lousy income and a lousy job because you are young or this or that, if you are going to work hard, might as well aim high.

Besides, most any minimum wage job I can think of are boring and dead-end, you will never amount to anything unless it is a good size company and you get in the management.

If you are not certain, do you own due-diligence by paying a visit to LA, use a little bit of your saved $$ and take advantage of www.couchsurfing.com for lodging and find out if moving here would be right for you or not without actually completely committing to it.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
2-months worth based on what figure? Have you done your research based on the area you will be residing in to properly calculate the fixed monthly expenses such as rent/food/applicable utilities/transportation/car?

If you are at least 21 yo and interested in working as a bartender, it is very good $$ even as a PT job! It'll allow you to meet people and expand your social network as well. Even if you know squat about it, you can easily find a reputable bartender school which you could attend part-time and be done with within a matter of weeks.

I had a friend who was taking the classes like 10 years ago, more than just as a supplemental income but more so as a backup with this economy, that is a good skill to have and should be able to find a job just about anywhere. It works for both genders.

Then while you are working PT as a bartender, you could attend a college or whatever to develop some other skills and find a solid FT job.

Do your own search too, open a search engine and type "Best low skill jobs in Los Angeles". Everyone has one or two strong suits that they often fail to make use of. Figure it out.

Unless you are lazy, brain-dead or super low on self-esteem, don't settle for a lousy income and a lousy job because you are young or this or that, if you are going to work hard, might as well aim high.

Besides, most any minimum wage job I can think of are boring and dead-end, you will never amount to anything unless it is a good size company and you get in the management.

If you are not certain, do you own due-diligence by paying a visit to LA, use a little bit of your saved $$ and take advantage of www.couchsurfing.com for lodging and find out if moving here would be right for you or not without actually completely committing to it.

Good luck!
Bartending in LA is highly competitive.

I also question the 2 months savings. 2 months savings could mean anything. 2 months savings could be $500 or $50k. My advice is don't move to LA without a job unless you have AT LEAST $10k savings. With $10k you MIGHT be able to last 6 months without a job which depending on market and competition you should be prepared for.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 PM

545 posts, read 514,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMac02 View Post
Retail, food service, etc. Basically any 'starter job.'
In my experience, if you are decent looking in appearance and dress you will find a bar or restaurant job. They are opening restaurants left and right. So many people eat out now, of all income levels.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 PM

50 posts, read 38,793 times
Agree with TurcoLoco and Csonka.

Jobs are there if you present yourself willing and able and neat and professional. Bartending is a great idea but can be challenging to find if little or no experience however, you might find a "daytime" position or a "beer and wine" restaurant willing to hire you.Not much money but will give you experience to move on up. If you're not into bartending as previously suggested, restaurants are everywhere with plenty of other positions to fill. There are also supermarkets, some movie theaters with deli or in-house restaurants which might also be an option. Consider food trucks, catering companies, event staff positions as well.

But as you already know min wage is tough to get by on. My understanding is that min wage for LA starting July 1, 2016 will be $10.50 per hour (however smaller employers might have an extra year) with the expectation it will be at $15.00 by 2020. However apts, even a studio right now will likely run you starting at around 1k a month in west LA. and even slightly inland. By 2020 who knows!

Here's more info on min wage: https://bca.lacity.org/site/pdf/lwo/...imum%20FAQ.pdf

There are several hospitals and clinics which are big employers for the area and also have cafeterias, etc if you wish to continue in the food industry so consider applying there as well. They tend to have better benefits as well.

The suggestion about aiming higher and getting an education if you haven't decided on that yet is hopefully part of your future plans. College is not everyone but there are lots of continuing ed classes at community centers or community colleges that you can complete, cheap and quick to get you into another field. There is also the opportunities at a trade school.

PS: Yes medical field will get you a job just about everywhere but it takes a lot of work and commitment to get through and upfront $$ (if you don't qualify for financial aid or scholarship) to pay for the education and then licensure if required after. Additionally the work environment might not be something you feel comfortable in so clearly it's also not for everyone either and it's not the only job you must do. There are other positions such as front desk, aides, other support staff which are needed and appreciated!

If you come, come with a realistic plan and you should be OK. If in the end you find LA is not for you then at least you know.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happee2bmee View Post
Agree with TurcoLoco and Csonka.

Jobs are there if you present yourself willing and able and neat and professional. Bartending is a great idea but can be challenging to find if little or no experience however, you might find a "daytime" position or a "beer and wine" restaurant willing to hire you.Not much money but will give you experience to move on up. If you're not into bartending as previously suggested, restaurants are everywhere with plenty of other positions to fill. There are also supermarkets, some movie theaters with deli or in-house restaurants which might also be an option. Consider food trucks, catering companies, event staff positions as well.

But as you already know min wage is tough to get by on. My understanding is that min wage for LA starting July 1, 2016 will be $10.50 per hour (however smaller employers might have an extra year) with the expectation it will be at $15.00 by 2020. However apts, even a studio right now will likely run you starting at around 1k a month in west LA. and even slightly inland. By 2020 who knows!

Here's more info on min wage: https://bca.lacity.org/site/pdf/lwo/...imum%20FAQ.pdf

There are several hospitals and clinics which are big employers for the area and also have cafeterias, etc if you wish to continue in the food industry so consider applying there as well. They tend to have better benefits as well.

The suggestion about aiming higher and getting an education if you haven't decided on that yet is hopefully part of your future plans. College is not everyone but there are lots of continuing ed classes at community centers or community colleges that you can complete, cheap and quick to get you into another field. There is also the opportunities at a trade school.

PS: Yes medical field will get you a job just about everywhere but it takes a lot of work and commitment to get through and upfront $$ (if you don't qualify for financial aid or scholarship) to pay for the education and then licensure if required after. Additionally the work environment might not be something you feel comfortable in so clearly it's also not for everyone either and it's not the only job you must do. There are other positions such as front desk, aides, other support staff which are needed and appreciated!

If you come, come with a realistic plan and you should be OK. If in the end you find LA is not for you then at least you know.

Good luck!
Have you looked at rental prices? More like minimum $1500 for a studio on west side. And not many studios. One bedroom on west side is more like $1800 and up and in the better parts of the valley its $1500. And rents are rising fast and much faster than minimum wage. If you want to work for minimum wage try living in Florida or Michigan or Nebraska or someplace else that's cheap

Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:

Grocery stores are not getting rid of their cashiers. Without human employees to monitor things, absolutely nothing stops people from simply going in the store and stealing merchandise.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 PM

50 posts, read 38,793 times
Quote:
Have you looked at rental prices? More like minimum $1500 for a studio on west side. And not many studios. One bedroom on west side is more like $1800 and up and in the better parts of the valley its $1500. And rents are rising fast and much faster than minimum wage. If you want to work for minimum wage try living in Florida or Michigan or Nebraska or someplace else that's cheap
Yes I have. You can find studios, not many, but they are there starting at about 1k. Agree 1 bedrooms will start much higher - I apologize if my post wasn't clearer. Of course of those west LA studios some may not have off-street parking. Others might not have a full kitchen but one can certainly find them. I always do my research before speaking

Agree, rents are going up very fast so by the time OP moves here, they may be higher.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Grocery stores are not getting rid of their cashiers. Without human employees to monitor things, absolutely nothing stops people from simply going in the store and stealing merchandise.
Security does/ When I was in London a couple of years ago the Tesco stores had 0 human cashiers. Same set up as Fresh and Easy (owned by Tesco). Fresh and Easy did go out of business but they only had self check out. I haven't used a human cashier in a Ralph's or Vons in 5-6 years. The average customer is smarter then the average minimum wage worker and once people realize their transactions go much smoother and they have less hassles dealing with a computer the less they miss human cashiers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: