Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sounds like a good idea.

Because all you do is whine. All your posts are complaints about LA. You even did one about how your cousin visited from TX and didn't like it here.

Find another place that suits you better. Maybe Austin?

That's it. Resents that either people who were born here who inherited homes, moved here earlier when prices were lower and bought, or have the means to buy.
You have a habit of mischaracterizing every post I do as complaining or whining about LA. I used my cousin as an example of someone who grew up their whole life in newer development and couldn't see the beautiful aspects of LA. I was saying how some are closed off to it and can't see it so that's why some people find LA "ugly". It's a different perspective. They prefer places like Irvine cus that's what they grew up with. That's all that topic was about. How did you twist that to mean that I complain about LA.

I could say LA could use a better street sweeping method and you'd freak the F out thinking I'm bashing the city. You're delusional. I explained to you my position several times yet you're stuck on this narrative that I'm just whining or jealous or whatnot.

It's also terrible that you and yermum label all people who seek a different vision of LA from the nimbys as whining or envy. It's too much. If ya don't like the growth or development or giving the rest of the city a chance to seek growth and lower inflated housing costs, then you can move. Go to Scottsdale or any place where development is at snails pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
LA officials aren't really anti development. They've put money into construction efforts and exempted a bunch of zoning regulations so developers can build. That is s big part of what got us out of the slump we were in. All that stuff you listed is recent and it's because they've negated the wishes of nimbys like you.

The big neighborhood preservation initiative that's in full swing and has many up in arms about is a result of all the stuff you listed. They don't want it. You're anti growth.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You have a habit of mischaracterizing every post I do as complaining or whining about LA. I used my cousin as an example of someone who grew up their whole life in newer development and couldn't see the beautiful aspects of LA. I was saying how some are closed off to it and can't see it so that's why some people find LA "ugly". It's a different perspective. They prefer places like Irvine cus that's what they grew up with. That's all that topic was about. How did you twist that to mean that I complain about LA.

I could say LA could use a better street sweeping method and you'd freak the F out thinking I'm bashing the city. You're delusional. I explained to you my position several times yet you're stuck on this narrative that I'm just whining or jealous or whatnot.

It's also terrible that you and yermum label all people who seek a different vision of LA from the nimbys as whining or envy. It's too much. If ya don't like the growth or development or giving the rest of the city a chance to seek growth and lower inflated housing costs, then you can move. Go to Scottsdale or any place where development is at snails pace.
No, you didn't say that at all. You said your cousin found the buildings in LA to be old and disgusting. You didn't say anything about her failing to see the beautiful aspects of LA.

Another example of whining.

I'm not delusional. One poster who visited LA from Pittsburgh commented how smooth the streets and freeways were, I said your roads must be in horrific condition if you think these are smooth....LOL. She mentioned the 101, the 101 northbound out of downtown is loaded with potholes. It's in terrible condition. I have no problem with real issues about LA, but I get tired of hearing nothing but negativity, which is what you do.

You do realize we have a water issue? More building requires more water. And more building isn't going to lower housing costs. The news ones going up are asking top dollar. A downturn in the economy resulting in another housing burst is the only thing that will do that....or a major earthquake, which happened in 94 and lasted about a year.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, you didn't say that at all. You said your cousin found the buildings in LA to be old and disgusting. You didn't say anything about her failing to see the beautiful aspects of LA.

Another example of whining.

I'm not delusional. One poster who visited LA from Pittsburgh commented how smooth the streets and freeways were, I said your roads must be in horrific condition if you think these are smooth....LOL. She mentioned the 101, the 101 northbound out of downtown is loaded with potholes. It's in terrible condition. I have no problem with real issues about LA, but I get tired of hearing nothing but negativity, which is what you do.

You do realize we have a water issue? More building requires more water. And more building isn't going to lower housing costs. The news ones going up are asking top dollar. A downturn in the economy resulting in another housing burst is the only thing that will do that....or a major earthquake, which happened in 94 and lasted about a year.
The topic was LA stereotypes need to be updated because they don't fairly portray the city as a whole. I had nothing but praise for the city. You're just making crap up now. Here was my original post:

Quote:
OK, someone needs to update the stereotypes of Los Angeles because we are getting a bad rap for no good reason. The whole vapid Valley girls with no discernable skills and materialistic to the core is a long gone stereotype of the 80s and 90s. I came to an LA that was greatly humbled by the violence of the 90s, the earth shattering financial crises and the lack of stable employment. The people I've met, who aren't pursuing a career in the industry, have been some of the most genuine humble people I've ever met. I've learned to love and live life and toss out old conventions I grew up with, so I get tired of the old stereotypes.

Another thing that made me think that LA's stereotypes are outdated is my younger cousin visited me last weekend and reminded me of the world's apart difference between LA and Houston. My cousin is a prime example of the new Houston young professional. I mean everything in LA was old to her, she couldn't see the beauty is some of the vintage neighborhoods like Los Feliz, her Hilton Hotel was too old, and if it wasn't a nice shiny new mixed use development town center kinda thing, it just didn't suit her tastes. She was preoccupied with keeping up with the Joneses, and has plans to get married and not work. Everything eclectic was "weird", and every guy that even approached her to say anything (not hit on her) was a "creeper". When I asked her what her overall opinion of LA was, she said it was great but dirty, i.e. a place to visit but not live in. So she will return to Texas to her McMansion in a master planned community with a fake lake and an entrance that looks like a theme park. She will shop at the latest "Town Centre" and continue to keep up with the Joneses. That's the new monied young professional life in Houston.
If anything I sounded more like an LA nimby. I used to agree that more development would be more costly and wouldn't help LA housing prices go down but the evidence is in. It's basic Econ 101. Astral Weeks posted the stats from ucla. You guys don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to this issue.

Look stop derailing the thread with your personal jabs at me. You're clearly off your rocker. Unless you stick to the topic at hand which is development, just don't bother replying back. LAs housing problem is due to restricted supply exasperated by NIMBYism, outdated regulations and such. New housing is never "affordable" to the average joe, it never has but an increased supply will have an effect on existing housing creating more supply to meet demand and alleviate the worst of the crisis. That's the gist of it. NIMBYs want to halt all new development that requires an exemption which are exactly the kind of projects that have helped spurn LAs economy. It's that simple. Your side is anti growth.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:56 PM

271 posts, read 214,217 times
Quote:
LA officials aren't really anti development. They've put money into construction efforts and exempted a bunch of zoning regulations so developers can build. That is s big part of what got us out of the slump we were in. All that stuff you listed is recent and it's because they've negated the wishes of nimbys like you.

The big neighborhood preservation initiative that's in full swing and has many up in arms about is a result of all the stuff you listed. They don't want it. You're anti growth.
No, actually I'm not anti growth. You just have selective reading comprehension. I have an MA in Urban Planning with a concentration in RE DEVELOPMENT. I work in real estate and my client's are real estate DEVELOPERS. Why in god's name would I be anti development?

Because you saw me criticize a disgusting mcmansion that somehow makes me "anti growth" in your eyes. How does replacing a 1950's ranch SINGLE family home with 2016 SINGLE family home increase the housing supply? IT DOESN'T, but in TEXAN mindset you just automatically assume that BIGGER and NEWER is better.

I believe that municipalities should be able to choose where and how development should be regulated within its borders. OBSERVE:

See this is called a zoning map. It shows the rules and regs for how different property types can be built in the area. This process has been legally upheld by the Supreme Court in the 1926 Euclid case.

You want big government control to be able to force independent incorporated cities to do things they DON'T want to do. Basically you want to limit freedom and increase dictatorship.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
No, actually I'm not anti growth. You just have selective reading comprehension. I have an MA in Urban Planning with a concentration in RE DEVELOPMENT. I work in real estate and my client's are real estate DEVELOPERS. Why in god's name would I be anti development?

Because you saw me criticize a disgusting mcmansion that somehow makes me "anti growth" in your eyes. How does replacing a 1950's ranch SINGLE family home with 2016 SINGLE family home increase the housing supply? IT DOESN'T, but in TEXAN mindset you just automatically assume that BIGGER and NEWER is better.

I believe that municipalities should be able to choose where and how development should be regulated within its borders. OBSERVE:

See this is called a zoning map. It shows the rules and regs for how different property types can be built in the area. This process has been legally upheld by the Supreme Court in the 1926 Euclid case.

You want big government control to be able to force independent incorporated cities to do things they DON'T want to do. Basically you want to limit freedom and increase dictatorship.
I was addressing the links you posted and talking specifically about the NIMBYism, red tape and outdated zoning that keeps developers from building more dense high rises. In one of the articles you listed it says that a proposed project of two twenty story high rises were halted by community activists. That's what I was addressing, not McMansions. My position on McMansions is that I don't look at them with so much anger and disgust, and that if a local community doesn't want them fine, but if there is noting preventing someone from building one that I wouldn't go buck wild trying to dictate my tastes by restricting someone from putting one up. That's all.
Currently NIMBYs are trying to get the city to follow the correct zoning laws on the books, but the issue is that many are outdated and haven't been revamped for a while from what I understand of the situation. So a lot of the growth has come from politicians granting exemptions for projects. The biggest nimby initiative being proposed wants to halt those projects requiring these exemptions. The only good I hope will come out of this is the city will be forced to look at their outdated plans.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
lol @ santa monica.

meanwhile in other parts of the world:

Old 06-07-2016, 04:59 PM

Nice pics! Where is that? Rio?

Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Quote:
Nice pics! Where is that? Rio?
Balneário Camboriú, Santa Catarina, Brazil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balne%..._Cambori%C3%BA

Old 06-07-2016, 05:21 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
I'm fine right here where I am and the vast majority of those elected are seeing the trend that less NIMBYism the better. Can't stop economic growth so a bunch of retirees with a nice view can retain their property values. Now what was it you guys recommend as a remedy? Oh yeah move. Beat your feet and find a nice vista elsewhere.

Besides this is all spurious the gig is up for NIMBYism in this state anyways.
Usually it's the Californians who move to a different state and start in with their bs to destroy that other state...here we have a transplant who moved to CA and does not even remotely understand why those in Santa Monica don't want hi-rises.

Cripes, I'VE been in CA longer than you and I just moved back here a bit over a year ago. The last time that I lived in the state I was a little kid. Nonetheless, I knew people here when I lived on the west coast, and a trip to CA was not rare.

I've been to Santa Monica many times, have stayed with people who have lived there. They take great pride in their homes and there is a culture there, there is a history there, and damnit yes, there is a problem if you start putting up a bunch of hideous hi-rises.

God, you want to see how hi-rises destroy quaint little parts of town? Go to Miami. Those gluttons have destroyed all up and down Miami Beach with their ugly ass hi-rises that took away from the 1 or 2 story concrete apartments from the past where your neighbors still actually said 'hi' to you and looked out for you...yes, as recent as this fricken century...even if they didn't speak the same language, they still were cordial and watchful of your back.

You don't get that when you plant a hi-rise in the middle of everything. You get worse traffic, more noise, more garbage, more crowding, more problems. At no time should the people of Santa Monica give up the fight to keep hi-rises OUT of their backyard.

If you want growth and hi-rises, gtfo of Santa Monica. Don't arrive to the golden state and within a year start telling old timers they're wrong. YOU are wrong. You are the new guy...leave if you don't like it. You like the pics you saw above? Move there. To me, that's hideous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles