Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

https://www.rt.com/usa/347849-lapd-h...cy-compassion/

So basically LAPD is being asked not to do their job. Should a homeless person be treated with 'compassion and empathy' anymore than a non-homeless taxpayer?..

I'm guessing that about 100% of the time that LAPD is interacting with the homeless it's because something that homeless person is doing.. breaking a law or causing a disturbance?...

I think we need less 'compassion and empathy' and need to send a stronger message that there are laws and rules that need to be followed and enforced.

But I guess that's all been thrown out the window now.
I'm sure these were direct order from Mayor "We should thank the Criminals" Garcetti.

And there are rumors that Garcetti might be a possible VP for Hillary
Possible VP candidate Eric Garcetti says he’s ‘not looking for a new job’

I don't think his policies would be too popular in the rest of the country.
I think the only reason he can get away with it in L.A is because most citizens pay zero attention to what he is doing, or to local politics in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 04:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Should a homeless person be treated with 'compassion and empathy' anymore than a non-homeless taxpayer?..
When a cop tells a "non-homeless taxpayer" that their beautiful house has burned down in a wildfire, they do show compassion and empathy. I have known cops and heard the sad tales.

When a cop tells a homeless person that their filthy tent has to be removed from the sidewalk, compassion and empathy may be a bit harder to come up with. Kind of a normal revulsion, to be fair.

Sometimes, ethical treatment of others in a society must be legislated until it becomes standard treatment. For example, racial epithets were once openly acceptable in many parts of the US. Since such acts became a hate crime, much of that kind of behavior has disappeared.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:15 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

So basically LAPD is being asked not to do their job. Should a homeless person be treated with 'compassion and empathy' anymore than a non-homeless taxpayer?..

I'm guessing that about 100% of the time that LAPD is interacting with the homeless it's because something that homeless person is doing.. breaking a law or causing a disturbance?...

I think we need less 'compassion and empathy' and need to send a stronger message that there are laws and rules that need to be followed and enforced.

But I guess that's all been thrown out the window now.
I'm sure these were direct order from Mayor "We should thank the Criminals" Garcetti.

And there are rumors that Garcetti might be a possible VP for Hillary
Possible VP candidate Eric Garcetti says he’s ‘not looking for a new job’

I don't think his policies would be too popular in the rest of the country.
I think the only reason he can get away with it in L.A is because most citizens pay zero attention to what he is doing, or to local politics in general.
Garcetti is almost making me miss Gang-Tats Villar. Garcetti will next be asking the LAPD to thank the homeless for sleeping on the sidewalk as he wanted us to thank criminals for living in prison.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 PM

155 posts, read 260,236 times
The homeless in Los Angeles are among the most coddled, tolerated and enabled population in the United States. Other than the small amount of folks who are genuinely mentally ill and deserve real treatment off of the streets, the majority are willing drunks and junkies who look at the "freedom" of the streets as an excuse to abuse drugs and bond with like-minded folks who'll never encourage them to do better in life.

I've seen this play out for years and I honestly wish the population of LA was more politically-aware because there's no way this homeless coddling would be allowed anywhere else in the nation.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Portland is just as bad as LA for homeless coddling.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
A homeless person is in a more desperate, pathetic, vulnerable, and depressed position. If anyone needs to be given the benefit of the doubt, who ought it be?

If you can afford to pay the high CA taxes by whatever means, you really should not even be anywhere near police activity, and if you are then what excuse do yo ass have?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
How are the cops even supposed to do their job anymore? I feel bad for them. Constantly having to watch their back, for obvious reasons, but then double watching any reaction for fear of the PC police.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Yeah it's gotten out of hand. I'd like to see the cops be able to do their job.
It's funny because LAPD has acknowledged the link between rising crime and the homeless...but now they're going to be trained to be more 'compassionate'?

"LAPD’s Central Division is understaffed to address the rampant drug dealing and homelessness that plague downtown"
L.A. crime hits highest point since 2009 amid more gang violence and homelessness - LA Times

I thought that LAPD is approaching any homeless unless they are committing crimes or doing something they shouldn't be. I don't think they are randomly harrassing the homeless.
Why does this city think the best approach is to be soft on crime?..

Old 06-24-2016, 12:08 AM

601 posts, read 755,868 times
While I can understand your anger, just think about it from a purely financial perspective. Throwing them in jail wastes a lot more taxpayer money than empathy. What else can the police really do?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:09 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
It's hard to have much compassion when you're trying to clear a sidewalk, and the drugged out addict is laying in front of you, stroking himself furiously, while maintaining eye contact with you while he does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles