Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 05:25 PM

60 posts, read 49,006 times

Advertisements

For those who drive Uber, is it worth it? Do you make a lot of money? Like 100 a day or 300 a week? News reports have been reporting on crazy Uber drivers, some drivers getting stabbed, shot, etc. I asked my parents if I could drive for Uber, but they don't think it is a good idea. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 11:08 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,485,660 times
I heard from a co-worker who did it couple of years back. He claimed to be making $1000+ on the weekends alone. Another discharged marine guy I know claimed to be making "sweet" money, again on the weekends but both were capable guys and doing it on the weekends and working the ritz areas.

If you are thinking about doing this in not-so-desirable areas just because it is close to where you live, might not be that lucrative. Also, for a female or a smallish, girl guy, I'd say the chance of a problem increases quite a bit since you are likely to be picking up bunch of drunk and/or disorderly characters on weekend evenings.

Also, I am hearing, much like eBay, Uber's gotten greedier, taking a bigger chunk and paying less to drivers than before.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,104,146 times
I know a handful of people driving for Uber/Lyft to make extra cash. Most of them are small women, believe it or not. Those women say they have some weird encounters and a healthy dosage of being hit on, but haven't had a run-in with trouble. Yet, at least.

Both Uber and Lyft prohibit drivers/riders from carrying weapons. So drivers have little to defend themselves from the inevitable troublemakers. Just something to consider.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,673,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I know a handful of people driving for Uber/Lyft to make extra cash. Most of them are small women, believe it or not. Those women say they have some weird encounters and a healthy dosage of being hit on, but haven't had a run-in with trouble. Yet, at least.

Both Uber and Lyft prohibit drivers/riders from carrying weapons. So drivers have little to defend themselves from the inevitable troublemakers. Just something to consider.
Yet, being the key word.

I wouldn't do it. I know someone who was doing it and he is a big guy, not the type of person you would want to mess with. Well he had a young woman who started hitting him in the back of the head(yes she was drunk) while they were driving on the freeway no less. He stopped being an Uber driver.

How about the wear and tear on your car? Get a server job on the weekends.

And no one seems to have a clear answer on how it impact your car insurance, I don't see how you can use your car for a taxi cab, you get in an accident and if your insurance company hasn't been made aware you're doing this(and raising your rates), how they will cover you? I don't believe they have to.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:58 AM

329 posts, read 629,136 times
I tried driving for Lyft for two days. Not worth it at all. I mean if you have no other income I may think about it as a short term solution. If you're a FT student and need some extra cash you may do it part time but not as a primary source of income. I've heard when Uber was new, drivers were making a lot of money but not anymore. Too many drivers and too many rate cuts don't justify working for them.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:08 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,694,774 times
I know someone who is an Uber driver in LA. He's ALWAYS complaining about how he barely makes enough to get by. He often complains about how the Uber market has become glutted with too many other drivers. And Uber just keeps advertising for more drivers.

He also rents a nice Lincoln Towncar -- doesn't own his own car. The only reason he keeps doing it is because he gets fired from every job he gets.

I think the deal with Uber is that you want to be the guy who owns a fleet of cars and hires drivers to work for you.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:43 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,018,993 times
At the current rates it's very hard to make money. A few years ago the rates were considerably higher so it was easier to make money. Also, Uber takes 25% from new drivers when they only previously took 20%. If you do it as a side gig on the weekends you can make some decent cash on the side if you work the peak hours.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,066,922 times
Why not just work from low-crime neighborhoods? If you could beat the Roadrunner Shuttle rates to LAX from them, you'd make bank. Example: Calabasas to LAX is $51.00 on RR van, $130.00 for cheapest town car.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:58 PM

601 posts, read 757,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
He also rents a nice Lincoln Towncar -- doesn't own his own car.
Is he skirting the rules? Last I heard that was strictly not allowed.

OP, was also going to mention the high cost of car maintenance makes it not worth it, IMO. You have to own your vehicle, it can't be too old or "junky", and you have to pay for all of the maintenance and wear and tear.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,507,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post

In areas where they are legal to carry, I'm pretty sure that a lot of them carry concealed. They'd be stupid not to, "policy" or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles