Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 06:24 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times

Advertisements

I have visited LA a few times and even though I enjoyed the west side, I find that the other area that don't get as much attention from tourists seem interesting to me. Like the non-Hollywood side of LA. I put East LA, since it seems like that area has a lot of lifelong Angelenos and are a part of the non-transplant LA culture. Are there any particular areas or places that you'd recommend someone check out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 09:09 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,296,149 times
Pomona Swap Meet for car enthusiasts https://www.pomonaswapmeet.com/
There are other classic car meets and shows too.

Huntington gardens and museums: https://huntington.org/
The Japanese and Chinese gardens are especially beautiful.

Last edited by vincenze; 07-02-2023 at 09:28 PM..

Old 07-03-2023, 03:35 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Visiting Non-Hollywood/East LA?

Are there any particular areas or places that you'd recommend someone check out there?
In East LA proper? No, not really. Only thing that may be of interest to you if you are doing this for your vlog is to check out the cruising on Whittier blvd in East LA/South Gate. Or, go slightly SW from there and check out the Watts Towers or Magic Johnson Park.

Some other Non-Hollywood things to check out that you might like:

Gilligan's Island Lagoon / M.A.S.H. tv set - Malibu Canyon
Angeles National Forest hiking paths and streams
Original Tommy's on Rampart
Pink's Hotdogs
Andres Italian cafeteria across the street from Farmers Market/Grove
Downtown LA
The old Victorian homes in the area around USC
The old LA Zoo at Griffith Park

You can get some good ideas (if its for your vlog) from this guy's vids. He just rides his bike around places in LA and has like 1.2 million subscribers to his account. He goes to some very very interesting places that are off the beaten path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPHl4tfeItI

Old 07-03-2023, 11:24 AM

1,397 posts, read 676,515 times
Southwest Museum of the American Indian on the Eastside - not strictly East L.A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southw...merican_Indian

And not East L.A. (it is west of the river) but also non-Hollywood, you might enjoy a couple hours in the Arts District.

https://uncoverla.com/2022/04/28/dow...taurant-guide/

Old 07-03-2023, 04:38 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
Good stuff so far. Thanks for these tips!

Old 07-03-2023, 04:54 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
I visited LA in 2021 and I'm like you, I prefer seeing the less touristy parts of cities, seeing the side that locals do. A few interesting things I visited:

- Chinatown
- Koreatown
- Little Armenia in Glendale (there's an Armenian history museum)
- San Pedro (an old Little Italy along 6th and 7th Sts)
- Watts Towers Arts Center
- Downtown LA is just cool to walk around, more of a San Francisco-like vibe than the rest of the city. Stop by Mochinut (mochi donut shop)

Old 07-06-2023, 07:10 AM

85 posts, read 45,620 times
Second the Watts towers...just be aware when in the area.

The south bay beach towns are a nice change of pace from the typical Santa Monica/Venice.

If you're into bookstores, I find LA to be pretty underrated...Book Soup, The Last Bookstore, Skylight, etc.

Amoeba is also an essential stop for music lovers, even though they've moved to a less grand space.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:28 AM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I always like Downtown, Little Tokyo (Japantown), Olvera Street, Koreatown, Chinatown, East LA, the western end of the San Gabriel Valley (e.g., Pasadena, Alhambra, Monterey Park, etc.)

Lots of great shopping, restaurants (especially Hispanic and Asian), etc

Old 07-06-2023, 11:32 AM

11,023 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Be prepared for long lines at Pink's Hot Dogs. For good reason! It's technically in or near Hollywood, but no matter. It's a great place to eat. Too many choices!

If you visit in the spring, The California Botanical Garden (formerly Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden) in Claremont is wonderful when things are in bloom all over. Claremont is also a fabulous "Ivy League of the West" university town with myriads shops and restaurants.

I don't know about Olvera Street.... last time I was there years ago it was pathetic and even seemed dangerous compared to what it was many years ago. It was always a really great place. Maybe it's been improved since then?

Old 07-06-2023, 12:44 PM

1,397 posts, read 676,515 times
Uptown Whittier is interesting to walk about between Greenleaf, Hadley, Penn, and Painter.

There are some neat homes north of Hadley and South of Beverly between College and Pickering, including the Jonathan Bailey House on Camilla just east of Painter.

You can wander around Whittier College or listen to the Whittier Symphony at the Lopez Auditorium on the Whittier High School campus.

Some scenes in Back to the Future were filmed at Whittier High School. Seems the movie crews go to Whittier when they want a "Midwest small town vibe".

Rose Hills just north of Whittier is the world's largest (by area, not internments. - that goes to some burial plot in the ME which has had more time to put people in the ground) memorial park on the planet.

Whittier also supposedly has the biggest 99 Cents Only store.

Grab a burger at Rick's on Greenleaf and Penn or at Norm's at Whittier Boulevard and Ocean View.

Lots of neat hiking trails in the hills above Whittier and on the Whittier Greenway Trail.

And it was home to Richard Nixon!

Last edited by Winter Coven; 07-06-2023 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles