Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times

Advertisements

LOL @ the number of homeless people there.

do the people who own property there enjoy walking out and seeing a hobo take a dump on the sidewalk?

who's the genius who comes up with these welfare/free crap policies that lures these homeless people there?

willing to bet the people in charge of passing laws that generate this hideousness do not live anywhere near them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:25 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
after Santa Monica go next door and check out Venice. A truly scary eye opening experience. The homeless there is at another level. I wouldn't buy a house in either city... what a nightmare

Old 08-15-2016, 05:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
venice is still pretty scary. the santa monica homeless are pretty harmless. and they're only in the crowded touristy areas by the beach. not in the residential neighborhoods in the north, south, and east.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Been living in the 90402 for about 6 years and have never had an issue with the homeless.
As another poster pointed out... They generally stay close to the beach and not the residential areas.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:46 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

who's the genius who comes up with these welfare/free crap policies that lures these homeless people there?
What's "LOL" about it? What a condescending post.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 PM

231 posts, read 226,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What's "LOL" about it? What a condescending post.
What, you don't find poverty, a huge risk of being murdered/raped, abject desperation, and hopelessness to be funny? Crazy...

Old 08-15-2016, 10:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I know that the Venice stakeholders association has been pretty vocal about how the city is handling the homeless situation.
http://www.venicestakeholdersassociation.org/
Some mentioned that it's not as big an issue in the residential parts of Santa Monica, which is a likely reason why those residents might not be putting much pressure on the city to do much.

Might sound crazy..but I bet there are a lot of Santa Monica locals that don't even go to the beach/3rd street area much.
It seems like it's a very high percentage of tourist these days , and most of the stores are chains and the items can be bought elsewhere or online.
If homeless started hanging around the $3million+ home neighborhoods in SM , I'm sure people wouldn't be to happy.
Tourists are unlikely to complain to the city about any issues, and the city likely would care less since they are tourists.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

do the people who own property there enjoy walking out and seeing a hobo take a dump on the sidewalk?

willing to bet the people in charge of passing laws that generate this hideousness do not live anywhere near them.
The homeless people mainly like to hang out around 3rd street. Sure there are a lot of mentally ill homeless people, but for the most part they just stick to themselves. Homeless people aren't solely in Santa Monica, DTLA has a large amount of homeless people also, a lot of urban/walkable areas do....

Old 08-15-2016, 10:13 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I know that the Venice stakeholders association has been pretty vocal about how the city is handling the homeless situation.
Venice Stakeholders Association
Some mentioned that it's not as big an issue in the residential parts of Santa Monica, which is a likely reason why those residents might not be putting much pressure on the city to do much.

Might sound crazy..but I bet there are a lot of Santa Monica locals that don't even go to the beach/3rd street area much.
It seems like it's a very high percentage of tourist these days , and most of the stores are chains and the items can be bought elsewhere or online.
If homeless started hanging around the $3million+ home neighborhoods in SM , I'm sure people wouldn't be to happy.
Tourists are unlikely to complain to the city about any issues, and the city likely would care less since they are tourists.
I'm almost a Santa Monica resident, and yes, I avoid 3rd Street because of the people who frequent that area. I occasionally visit the Barnes & Noble, which is at the northmost end of 3rd Street, but as far a traipsing down the rest of it, no...no...a resounding no thank you.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
The homeless people mainly like to hang out around 3rd street. Sure there are a lot of mentally ill homeless people, but for the most part they just stick to themselves. Homeless people aren't solely in Santa Monica, DTLA has a large amount of homeless people also, a lot of urban/walkable areas do....
Last year had a crazy homeless guy randomly try to come after me with a mat thing. He was swinging it. Right on Ocean Ave by the parking structure. I got away from him..but it just makes you wonder how much stuff like that happens or a lot worse.

Personally for me stuff like that is a deterrent. Also more recently had a homeless guy flick a cigarette butt.
Yeah sure worse things could happen, but I've also had a homeless person randomly through a full soda can at me. Also had my house broken into and stuff stolen by what my neighbor said were homeless.

LAPD has also stated that there is high crime among the homeless and stated it as a reason for the increase in crime in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles