Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 15,884 times

Advertisements

i have lived in LA for 20 years, and now Portland for the past 10 years. I am seriously considering moving to the Austin area, but am concerned about heat/ humidity.

Can anyone compare the temp/ humidity in Austin to LA?

Thanks!
Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM

107 posts, read 720,999 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

The above City-data site should inaugurate your comparison. I noted that Houston's tornado activity was 150% greater than the national average, and above the overall state average. The humidity is uppermost for all of the nation.

What L.A. lacks in tornados and humidity it more than makes up for in smog and congestion. Both cities have very hot summers unless you're sitting on the nearby beaches.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:07 PM

26 posts, read 274,497 times
Hi,
I currently live in Austin - it's GREAT here. Actually, a lot of people compare it to Portland (culturally, that is). Heat-wise, it's definitely hot, but I wouldn't say it's terribly humid. Houston is a totally different story, so don't take Houston advice and apply it to Austin.

We moved here (Austin) from Washington, DC, and honestly, I like the summers here better - the humidity was way worse there. Sometimes in the middle of summer, particularly if you're in a parking lot with no trees, it feels like you step into a dryer. But there are so many ways to keep cool here, from everything being air-conditioned to swimming holes ALL over the place (pools, rivers, ponds, lakes, natural springs), that it really doesn't bother me. One difference between Austin and LA, say, is that the mosquitos and bugs are really bad here. But other than that, the heat is probably comparable to the IE in the summer (ok, maybe a little hotter).

And while I understand some people love "the seasons," I love the fact that I'm in shorts today while they're battling snow storms in other parts of the country

The best thing about Austin, especially compared with this particuar LA forum... is that Austinites LOVE Austin. It's an infectious enthusiasm for the city that often translates into happiness and friendliness.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
L.A. is generally less humid.

And actually, Austin is not that much less humid than Houston. I've lived in both cities, so have experience. And I saw weather stats saying Austin's average humidity is only 10% less than Houston's. It's definitely better, but not by a lot.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
I noted that Houston's tornado activity was 150% greater than the national average

While it has more tornado activity than average, most of these are the little "F-0" category that do little more than knock over one tree or damage the roof some on a house or two. Not the same thing as the large tornado you will see in other parts of TX and midwestern states.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 AM

4 posts, read 23,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbe View Post
i have lived in LA for 20 years, and now Portland for the past 10 years. I am seriously considering moving to the Austin area, but am concerned about heat/ humidity.

Can anyone compare the temp/ humidity in Austin to LA?

Thanks!
Todd

My clients from CA who move here say its not much different, a little humidity,
really hot July and Aug. Dec in 70-80's. We are 3-5 hours to the water here, but we do have lots of big lakes near by. Move here and I will show you the best of Austin, I do relocation and investments. And its many CA people moving their businesses here.
LindaTx

Old 12-09-2006, 07:32 PM

38,893 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Default Austin is humid compared to L.A.

I have some friends who used to live in Huntington Beach, and moved to Austin in July of 2000. I visited them the following year, in May of 2001. When I was there, the weather (to me) was hot and HUMID, especially when compared with Southern California. It really reminded me very much of the weather in Florida, where I lived as a youngster back in the early 70s. I'm sure to me, the humidity really bothered me, since I'm not used to it.

When I returned from Austin a week later, the weather here was the typical "June gloom" pattern of overcast skies in the morning, clearing to hazy sunshine in the early afternoon with high temps in the upper 60s / low 70s.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 PM

217 posts, read 670,929 times
I live in San ANtonio, 80 miles south of Austin. What I love about the weather in SA are the warm, breezy nights. In CA, the temp drops like a rock at sunset, and I don't like that.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:41 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaTx View Post
My clients from CA who move here say its not much different, a little humidity,
really hot July and Aug. Dec in 70-80's. We are 3-5 hours to the water here, but we do have lots of big lakes near by. Move here and I will show you the best of Austin, I do relocation and investments. And its many CA people moving their businesses here.
LindaTx
Sorry, but this is completely false. Los Angeles weather is about 100x better than Austin weather, it is some of the best weather anywhere for that matter. I think California people who move here to Austin try to convince themselves that is just like California to make them feel better, but in reality, it is much more humid and hot in the summer, and much colder in the winter. Also, we get sun here most of the year, but it is a hazier sort of sun than in LA (if you don't count the smog filled areas which are always hazy.)

Old 12-09-2006, 11:22 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,940 times
When I was visiting Austin deciding whether to move there I came to the same conclusion as AustinGuy and decided not to move there. You know people are in denial when they say things like, "It is fine as long as you stay in the air conditioned places". Sorry I can't jog with an air conditioner. OR one friend said they just think of it as being in a sauna sweating out the toxins. HMMM.

My lip stick, styled hair, and silk shirt think they'd rather be in temperate Cali., thank you much. Plus I am a big fan of layers and wraps, just too moist there for a pretty wrap on a sizzling, humid day. But Austin is just beautiful and if one can tolerate the humidity and heat I say buy, buy, buy. I would if I wasn't such a whether and clothing snob . Plus they have fantastic lightening storms. Just amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles