Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:00 PM

508 posts, read 504,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Old New York rap was better also.Basically
New York & Los Angeles Golden era was the late 80s - Mid 90s.

At least Los Angeles has a ressuergence today,Kendrick
Dj Mustard,Ty Dolla sign,Schoolboy Q,Yg
Lots of "undergound" guys too. I really like RJ, AD, and Boogie. Audio Push, dumbfounded, Blu, Slim 400.

Lots of great artist if you dive beneath the surface.

I really like Nipsey Hussle's new tape too. They are throwaways till victory lap but still quality stuff. Waiting for Dom Kennedy's new tape as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:16 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
East coast rap today kinda is on the downswing IMO.

ATL>LA>Chi in that order today.
You really think Atlanta has the best rap scene in the country???? Who are your favorite rappers from ATL. I really really hate southern rap. I love Andre 3000 and used to listen to TI. Big krit is dope but he isn't really ATL rap. I feel like a lot of rap coming out of the ATL today is pretty garbage from 21 savage to Lil Yatchy, future, young thug . I do know that ATL has more to their rap game than just the mainstream ones though so that's why I asked the question.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:10 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,826 times
Kendrick Lamar is one of the best rappers to come out of LA in a while.

It's refreshing to hear someone who talks about real societal issues and the human condition rather than boast about cars, money, and women.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 PM

125 posts, read 183,840 times
I've been saying this for years. It's all a competition to see how offensive they can be. They don't even rap, they just mutter and speak words through an autotune processor on a computer, while sounding as if they are utterly wasted on codeine and colt 45. Slurring their words while some piano backing track is playing, so they sound "deep, meaningful, emotional, and powerful."

If they don't do that, then it's just saying "nigg*r" as many times as they can in a 4 min period, talking about bi*ches at the club, how many gold chains and cars they have, and how many crimes they commit. It's just nonstop brag-fest and it's completely embarrassing.

Bring back Run DMC and Bone Thugs then I can say rap is OK and I actually kinda like it.

Today's "rap?" Completely embarassing, utter trash. Not even music. And people eat this crap right up, they think they are coolest role models ever.

There's nothing wrong with being a little offensive like Ozzy Osborne or some of the other classic rock bands and even country does now and then, but this, this is just on a completely other level.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
You really think Atlanta has the best rap scene in the country???? Who are your favorite rappers from ATL. I really really hate southern rap. I love Andre 3000 and used to listen to TI. Big krit is dope but he isn't really ATL rap. I feel like a lot of rap coming out of the ATL today is pretty garbage from 21 savage to Lil Yatchy, future, young thug . I do know that ATL has more to their rap game than just the mainstream ones though so that's why I asked the question.
Today? I mean I think Lil Yahty is garbage but I do like 21 Savage, Migos, Future, etc. Yeah, I personally don't like ATL rap like that but it serves it purpose and you can get pretty hype to it. Gambino is from ATL so they got that going for them if you don't like mumble rap.

ATL hiphop is more quantity than quality.

I think ATL has no doubt the best producers and they are probably the best at getting their music to the mainstream.

Last edited by afropack-man; 09-08-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 05:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post
I've been saying this for years. It's all a competition to see how offensive they can be. They don't even rap, they just mutter and speak words through an autotune processor on a computer, while sounding as if they are utterly wasted on codeine and colt 45. Slurring their words while some piano backing track is playing, so they sound "deep, meaningful, emotional, and powerful."

If they don't do that, then it's just saying "nigg*r" as many times as they can in a 4 min period, talking about bi*ches at the club, how many gold chains and cars they have, and how many crimes they commit. It's just nonstop brag-fest and it's completely embarrassing.

Bring back Run DMC and Bone Thugs then I can say rap is OK and I actually kinda like it.

Today's "rap?" Completely embarassing, utter trash. Not even music. And people eat this crap right up, they think they are coolest role models ever.

There's nothing wrong with being a little offensive like Ozzy Osborne or some of the other classic rock bands and even country does now and then, but this, this is just on a completely other level.
There is a ton of very creative, artistic rap out there it's just never going to be played on radio or mainstream

Aesop Rock
Jurrasic 5
Dilated Peoples
El P/Compay Flow
Brother Ali
RA the Rugged Man
Murs
Mr Lif
Del/Deltron 3030
Vinnie Paz
Army of Pharaohs
Jedi Mind Tricks
7L & Esoteric
Odd Future

and on and on. There is good music being made in every genre if you know where to look

Old 09-08-2016, 07:34 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,993 times
It was definitely better in the 80s and 90s.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:46 AM

If you like good Los Angeles Rap/R&B listen to Malibu by Anderson .Paak.

Malibu - Anderson .Paak

Favorites: The Season/Carry Me, Put Me Thru, Am I wrong.

There is no way you can't like this.

Dr. Dre is still putting on for the West.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post

Not all rap is like that. There are people on this thread who have posted some artist who don't rap like that. Obviously mainstream rap is geared towards clubs and being "hype" which really isn't about the lyrics at that point.

Kendrick Lamar whose from Compton is probably the most popular rapper alive at this point and has songs like this which doesn't have the vulgarity you described. It's even pretty positive but people like to gloss over that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnHbBYoN4Xk

"Dark as the midnight hour, I'm bright as the mornin' Sun
Brown skinned, but your blue eyes tell me your mama can't run"

Old 09-09-2016, 10:55 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
Not all rap is like that. There are people on this thread who have posted some artist who don't rap like that. Obviously mainstream rap is geared towards clubs and being "hype" which really isn't about the lyrics at that point.

Kendrick Lamar whose from Compton is probably the most popular rapper alive at this point and has songs like this which doesn't have the vulgarity you described. It's even pretty positive but people like to gloss over that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnHbBYoN4Xk
True, but songs like "Complexion" don't always get a lot of airtime on the radio.

Mainstream rap, overall, is trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles