Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 05:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh for God's sake...the women I worked with were not meth heads or schizophrenics- but I encountered plenty of both while working in law enforcement and guess what...they were not all homeless.

And you are just oozing with empathy aren't you? "these women...married an abusive guy" must be grand to be perfect like you and have never made a mistake. What's interesting is that the only perfect people I ever meet are all on internet forums, I wonder why that is
You saw what you wanted to see. You turned a blind eye to their use of meth, crack, or smack. You may have turned a blind eye to their turning tricks, too.

Although, if they'd been clean, at least in Nevada they could have worked in a house legally. An option California does not provide, and should. At least they wouldn't be on welfare and at least they'd be paying taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 05:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You saw what you wanted to see. You turned a blind eye to their use of meth, crack, or smack. You turned a blind eye to their turning tricks, too. Although, if they'd been clean, at least in Nevada they could have worked in a house legally. An option California does not provide, and should. At least they wouldn't be on welfare and at least they'd be paying taxes.
I'm not sure where you spend your time that you have come to the conclusion that all poor women are drug abusing whores and I don't think I will ask

Old 09-22-2016, 05:50 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Oh for God's sake...the women I worked with were not meth heads or schizophrenics- but I encountered plenty of both while working in law enforcement and guess what...they were not all homeless.

And you are just oozing with empathy aren't you? "these women...married an abusive guy" must be grand to be perfect like you and have never made a mistake. What's interesting is that the only perfect people I ever meet are all on internet forums, I wonder why that is

Oh I'm not perfect but I made good life choices so happy with my life just like you made the right choice for you and got a union job and now you have a big fat pension to live on. And I am a empathetic person but not to losers and addicts I work with dog rescues and shelters and help dogs that have to live their lives with us flawed humans.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Those things are going to be much cheaper in places such as Missouri.

And moving expenses would just involve moving suitcases on a Greyhound or in the trunk of a car, not anything involving trucks.

Those women all too often are willing to crank out more children so they can collect more money in welfare checks and TANF so they can have more money to get high.
$800 a month is NOT ENOUGH to live off ALONE in Missouri.

There are some other reasons why they don't move.

Frankly California has more services, especially LA. LA has a bus and train system they can use to go to doctors. In the middle of the country where it is CHEAP, they'd need a CAR to go to their medical appointments (we are speaking of populations on SSI and SS, not the healthiest people).

There's no magic where a person on fixed income from the government can move to the middle of the country, where they would need enough income to not only get a mortgage, but an auto loan.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
The women I worked with were not cranking out more children to get more welfare money nor were they getting high, but you can go on believing that if you want, I guess it makes it easier to condone cutting welfare benefits if you can convince yourself that all of the recipients are whoring wastrels, huh?

Did you even read what I wrote? They live in weekly motels because they can't save the money for moving expenses or security deposits.

I'm not going to argue with you about this, I worked with these people for several years, I know first hand what difficulties they faced.
Since Clinton reformed welfare as we know it, let's just say no one cranks out kids just to get more welfare money, as the additional money is basically just a few dollars extra. This is assuming the woman is even on welfare.

Welfare is generally time limited unless the person has a disability.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Oh I'm not perfect but I made good life choices so happy with my life just like you made the right choice for you and got a union job and now you have a big fat pension to live on. And I am a empathetic person but not to losers and addicts I work with dog rescues and shelters and help dogs that have to live their lives with us flawed humans.
Well good on you Finper. Really.

But, now you mention about making "good life choices" where others don't who end up homeless and in other bad situations - I got a few questions for you. I have asked these same questions many times of many people who, like yourself, express great pride in their choice-makings. I have never gotten squat for acceptable answers. Maybe you'll be the one to satisfy my curiosity.

To what do you attribute your ability to make good choices in life - that you should take self credit - where others fail?

Do you feel you were born superior to all these other wastrels languishing about?

Did god smile upon you and not on the other dregs s/he created? If so, why?

Or did you somehow create your own ability to be superior - you know, like before you were born?

From where did you derive your powers of excellence?

On another note: thanks for helping out with the pups. Pretty big of you. Really.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
$800 a month is NOT ENOUGH to live off ALONE in Missouri.

There are some other reasons why they don't move.

Frankly California has more services, especially LA. LA has a bus and train system they can use to go to doctors. In the middle of the country where it is CHEAP, they'd need a CAR to go to their medical appointments (we are speaking of populations on SSI and SS, not the healthiest people).

There's no magic where a person on fixed income from the government can move to the middle of the country, where they would need enough income to not only get a mortgage, but an auto loan.
People make choices on where to live based on their ability to get car loans or not?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Since Clinton reformed welfare as we know it, let's just say no one cranks out kids just to get more welfare money, as the additional money is basically just a few dollars extra. This is assuming the woman is even on welfare.

Well see - finally! I knew you had it in you. An accurate post! Kudos!

Old 09-22-2016, 10:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:

Which is why so many seemingly healthy people are on " disability " right .

This is an interesting article about it from NPR certainly not a right wing news outlet .

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well good on you Finper. Really.

But, now you mention about making "good life choices" where others don't who end up homeless and in other bad situations - I got a few questions for you. I have asked these same questions many times of many people who, like yourself, express great pride in their choice-makings. I have never gotten squat for acceptable answers. Maybe you'll be the one to satisfy my curiosity.

To what do you attribute your ability to make good choices in life - that you should take self credit - where others fail?

Do you feel you were born superior to all these other wastrels languishing about?

Did god smile upon you and not on the other dregs s/he created? If so, why?

Or did you somehow create your own ability to be superior - you know, like before you were born?

From where did you derive your powers of excellence?

On another note: thanks for helping out with the pups. Pretty big of you. Really.
Somehow I have a feeling whatever I wrote wouldn't be a acceptable answer to you. So I'll just say I listened to Nancy Reagan and said no to drugs. And said yes to nice things and dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles