Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:36 AM

465 posts, read 2,427,416 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in North Carolina working as a nurse in the Veterans Hospital in Durham. I am planning an internal transfer in the latter part of next year to California. For months now I've been saying San Diego, San Diego, I want to go to San Diego; now I'm having second thoughts. People keep describing it as a boring suburbia full of families, retirees, and nothing to do but go to the zoo. I've also become aware that as a nurse, I can make quite a bit more money in the L.A. area than I can in San Diego; which I don't really understand, because San Diego isn't so much cheaper than L.A. to live.

As a single 30's something person with no children, I think I might enjoy what L.A. has to offer more than San Diego, and I could obviously make more money. In San Diego, they're offering a nurse with my experience $65k-$70k a yr; where as in L.A., I could make $80k-$90k a yr.

I think my fear with San Diego is I'll be bored to death with not enough money. My fear with L.A. is, first off can I survive comfortably with that income as a renter with a car note? Can I find a nice, quiet safe place to live? And where are the REAL, GENUINE, DOWN TO EARTH people in L.A.? I've been there about six times over the years, and the people leave me a bit cold.

I want to live in the immediate surrounding area of L.A., not in the heart of it. After some research on craigslist, I'm completely and utterly overwhelmed with the amount of "neighborhoods" in and around L.A., of which I have no idea about what they're like!!

So I guess the bottom line is, will I struggle financially? What areas are good for my demographic? (single, 30 something, no kids, nurse, bi-racial) I'm also fairly conservative, don't drink or smoke, and not much interested in the party or club scene. I was a chef and graphic artist before I went back to school for nursing, so eating out, museums, shopping, outdoor adventures, the beach, the arts, and being very involved in my church, that's kinda my vibe. I've seen apartments for rent in areas like Calabassas, 1000 Oaks, Santa Monica, Los Feliz, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana/Encino and Canoga Park to name a few. I just don't know where to start.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Sorry this was so long!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 AM

723 posts, read 2,999,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
So I guess the bottom line is, will I struggle financially?
Are you good with money? Can you say no to every latest fashion trend? Do you buy countless CD's, DVD's, books and such? Do you like to ring up large tabs when you go out to bars and restaurants? Do you have financial discipline and creativity?

Outside of those issues, some aspects of California living are more expensive: car ownership is one of the most expensive in the union. Gas is more expensive here. So is food. My findings are that wages are consummate to the higher costs of things. Others will disagree. None will give you the crystal ball answer you desire.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,497,089 times
Quote:
I'm currently living in North Carolina working as a nurse in the Veterans Hospital in Durham. I am planning an internal transfer in the latter part of next year to California. For months now I've been saying San Diego, San Diego, I want to go to San Diego; now I'm having second thoughts. People keep describing it as a boring suburbia full of families, retirees, and nothing to do but go to the zoo. I've also become aware that as a nurse, I can make quite a bit more money in the L.A. area than I can in San Diego; which I don't really understand, because San Diego isn't so much cheaper than L.A. to live.

As a single 30's something person with no children, I think I might enjoy what L.A. has to offer more than San Diego, and I could obviously make more money. In San Diego, they're offering a nurse with my experience $65k-$70k a yr; where as in L.A., I could make $80k-$90k a yr.

I think my fear with San Diego is I'll be bored to death with not enough money. My fear with L.A. is, first off can I survive comfortably with that income as a renter with a car note? Can I find a nice, quiet safe place to live? And where are the REAL, GENUINE, DOWN TO EARTH people in L.A.? I've been there about six times over the years, and the people leave me a bit cold.

I want to live in the immediate surrounding area of L.A., not in the heart of it. After some research on craigslist, I'm completely and utterly overwhelmed with the amount of "neighborhoods" in and around L.A., of which I have no idea about what they're like!!

So I guess the bottom line is, will I struggle financially? What areas are good for my demographic? (single, 30 something, no kids, nurse, bi-racial) I'm also fairly conservative, don't drink or smoke, and not much interested in the party or club scene. I was a chef and graphic artist before I went back to school for nursing, so eating out, museums, shopping, outdoor adventures, the beach, the arts, and being very involved in my church, that's kinda my vibe. I've seen apartments for rent in areas like Calabassas, 1000 Oaks, Santa Monica, Los Feliz, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana/Encino and Canoga Park to name a few. I just don't know where to start.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Sorry this was so long!!
the kind of work that you do you can get a job anywhere you want. So I have to ask why do you want to be in a place like california?? Their so many beautiful places to move in the U.S. Don't forget people move out of california not to california, their is a reason for that.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,935,926 times
jeweloflight... ya gotta know, people's opinions posted on this board are just that. They're opinions (hopefully honest enough that they are opinons based on experiences they've had first-hand and not just what they've heard). Some may be having a great time here and loving life and some may not be. Some may hate the situation their life is in and if you ask them their opinion of a place, they're gonna give you nothing but negatives.

Good example: I got a speeding ticket in a little out-of-state town. The way that town handled my ticket (yes, I went back to fight it) was 100% wrong. Now, if someone came on here and asked my opinion of that town, whatever I say, it's gonna be negative.

So take what people here say with a grain of salt. Your experiences aren't going to be the same as theirs.

Are you planning any trips out this way to visit before you move? I'd definatly do that. A couple of them, if you can afford it. I know that might not be fesible, but I'm hoping you can do that. Get a chance to look around with the mindset of moving here. The cities you listed are really spread out and very different from one another!

Hope when/ if you do make the move, you're very happy out here!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 PM

455 posts, read 1,115,054 times
You are a nurse that can make $80,000 - $90,000 a year, not a minimum wage burger flipper... You will do fine in LA. Don't worry so much.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:

So I guess the bottom line is, will I struggle financially?
Sounds like you are doing everything right, asking the right questions, and performing research. Sounds like you have a great job and a good income. You have lots of choices. You probably just have to keep on researching, where are the jobs, what are the communities like, what are the traffic patterns like, where might you spend a lot of off time and how does this play into where you live and your drive and your job. Very seriously consider the advice of living near your work or near a straight shot type train or bus or something. Traffic is a killer - very unhealthy.

Keep researching, City-Data is a great tool for you. Don't rush. You'll be fine.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,010 times
San Diego has much to offer.

There isn't as much going on as in Hollywood, but its still a city of over a million with lots to do. Would definitely be a step up from Durham.

There's lots of clubs and nice restaurants in Downtown San Diego. Downtown has a cool, urban, pedestrian friendly feel to it..theres lots of great condo developments going on there..but those run into the millions, lol.

If you are looking for "down to earth"..San Diego is a pretty chill place. Not nearly as hectic as Los Angeles. But theres excitement if you look for it.

And there is almost NO traffic there..at least when compared to LA. Plus much cleaner.

I prefer Los Angeles, but you really gotta check out both. I wouldn't necessarily describe San Diego as "boring"...maybe "more boring than LA"..but not boring.

Who knows? It might be just the right speed for you.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
Default L.A. Lifer

I've lived in L.A. most of my life (I spent a few years in Lompoc) and I will say this: L.A, is not the same city I grew up in. I'm moving to Arkansas next year because I can't stand it anymore but I'll give you an objectiuve view of L.A. and it's many neighborhoods:

If money isn't an issue, you probably want to be on the Westside, Hollywood or the Valley. Some areas of South Bay are nice, too. But I'm not really familiar with that area.

Santa Monica is really nice; however, there are a lot of homeless people but the ywon't bother you, just beg, which is annoying. West Hollywood is nice, it has a high homosexual population but I've walked through there in the middle of the night with no issues.

Los Feliz is beautiful you're near Griffith Park and there is heavy renovation in the area. Hollywood proper, too.

The inner city is a bit trickier it can literally change from block to block. For example, Crenshaw district is not where I'd live but a few blocks down in the Leimert Park, Baldwin Hills, Angeles Heights are lovely. Culver City is great.

It just really depends on where you are going to work, where you want to live. Feel free to DM me when you know where you are going to work and I'll try to give you information on the best areas.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:12 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
Well......having gone from CA to NC and wanting to go back to CA.....I can give you a little perspective.

It is interesting that you say the people in LA leave you a little cold. I find that often in Charlotte, NC. In fact, I often tell my husband that people are far more "fake" and "showy" here than in LA where I felt far more casual and laid back. God forbid someone should head to Harris Teater on a Saturday morning without her hair just so and her new Kate Spade bag!!!! UGH!

I personally think LA is what you make it. I am a school counselor and I think that most of the helping professions like teaching and nursing lend themselves toward more caring and down to earth people. My DH on the other hand worked in the entertainment industry and so his view of LA is far different than mine is from a work perspective.

Stereotypes are just that.....and they do not represent all people.

Dawn

PS: And as for working/living. Find out where you will be working first. The places you mentioned are a little more like San Diego, sleepy towns.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 AM

313 posts, read 1,149,338 times
You really need to come out and visit...and stay a few days...look at housing neighbors...etc. If you live in LA...you WILL pay for it. It is one of the most expensive areas in the US...next to NY. If you are driven to come out west...I would stay with SD...it is alittle cheaper...and there will not be that LA influence.

You mentioned down to earth people here....DO NOT move to southern CA thinking you will be surrounded by warm fuzzy people...you wont...trust me,,,people can be nice...but it is a superficial kind of nice and you constantly have to have a BS filter on. I am from the south and have lived all over...and I would move back to NC in a heartbeat over CA(lived in Charlotte back in the mid 90's). I have been here for 2 yrs...and I am trying desperately to make peace with it. I am conservative too...raised inthe south...what can I say...and when ppl from CA tell you a place or an area is conservative, it isnt the conservative you would envision. I have heard that N CA is more conservative...and bit more expensive too...but it may be an option to consider if you are driven to be out here.

Do not be swayed into thinking that LA is a better choice because you get paid more....you will NEED that extra income to live ina decent place...you PAY for safety and decent housing.

I will say...though given your profession...there may be some hope that in your future workplace you would be surrounded by more geniune people as the other poster mentioned...and if you have that, you could probably make peace with it. If it is important to you to be in a conservative, friendly, geniune type place....southern CA just isnt a top pick for those things...really look at other areas...like Wilmington,NC, or Northern VA near DC, look just do your research...I think you could get a job in the Carribean and come out better. You are a nurse and you could get a job ANY where...and make decent money...have you looked into being a traveling nurse??? I had a gf who did this with a bunch of other nurses and she had a blast...she lived in TX, CO, did some time down in Bermuda...where ever the need is. That way you try out different places before you decide on making a big move. Just a thought.

I know you must be confused...but really weigh out your choices, look at alternatives. Only advantage I can tell you about in CA are the beaches and having lots to do....but if you feel like a fish out of water...it really doesnt matter. I wish you the best of luck on your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles