Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:08 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times

Advertisements

Be glad you've have rent control all of these years. I know someone who lives right near Montana Ave with 2 bedrooms, a dining room, a living room and a private 1 car garage. 1K a month! He's saving about $1,800 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 02:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldine3131 View Post
I moved in a rent control 2-bedroom unit in Santa Monica in 1996 with my two minor children. 20 years later, my kids are gone but because I was the only adult signing the lease, my landlord refuse to allow me to have a roommate. Apparently, my kids never grew up to be adults so they do not count as tenants (LOL). If I wanted a partner/companion to move in with me, I 'd have to wait to turn 62 to be allowed to enter a certified domestic partnership!!! or get married... which is not my intention. So I am basically condemned to live alone for the rest of my stay in that two-bedroom apartment!!! I have been looking all over the web to find out if they can do that but I cannot find any straighforward answer. Rent Control guy was very nice trying to help me over the phone but told me that my only way to find out how many people are allowed in my unit would be to go back to 1978 and find out how many people were on the lease at the time (easy, right?). SM renters rights people are also very nice volunteers but they could not help me either. I just filed a complaint for discrimination with the Fair housing Dpt, out of frustration, and next I will consult with Legal Aid (can't afford a lawyer!).

Anyone in my case? Anyone knows what other recourse I have? If any...
Let's review. You live in a rent controlled apt that is two bedrooms. Your roommates were your children so they weren't paying rent.

Are you in a relationship? Probably not, you sound like one of those people if someone brought you a tray with silver coins on it, would say "silver, why not gold?".

You have a good dealing going, you're living in a very desirable area paying way under market rent.

Condemned to live a live alone? Grow up already. If you did actually meet someone than move in with them.

There is a 37 year old man from Oregon, who was adopted at age 3 from South Korea, has lived in this country for 34 years. He is now being held for the last 9 months in a detention center and going to be deported to South Korea, a place where he knows no one. Now that is condemned.

Quite frankly, you don't sound like someone who would do well with a roommate anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If it were I, I would ask the landlord if they have a one bedroom unit available.
Most landlords would welcome the chance to place a tenant in a smaller unit so they could raise the rent on the larger one.
Doesn't hurt to ask.

Bob.
Bad idea, a one bedroom is going way more than what the OP is paying for a two bedroom.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Be glad you've have rent control all of these years. I know someone who lives right near Montana Ave with 2 bedrooms, a dining room, a living room and a private 1 car garage. 1K a month! He's saving about $1,800 a month.

Exactly.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:03 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Exactly. So if OP is in similar situation then you could conservatively estimate they have saved around $250k over the past 20 years compared to paying market value for rent. Even if they put money saved in a low interest checking account they would have enough saved to pay cash for a house in another state and retire there. It's hard to feel sorry

Old 10-27-2016, 05:31 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
Maybe the reason/intent is that they don't want you to be charging your "roomate " more than what you are paying for the apartment or "airbnb"ing the place. In that case, it seems pretty unfair to everyone else that just wants a place to live

Old 10-27-2016, 06:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Maybe the reason/intent is that they don't want you to be charging your "roomate " more than what you are paying for the apartment or "airbnb"ing the place. In that case, it seems pretty unfair to everyone else that just wants a place to live
But also landlords have the right to vet anyone that's going to living on their property like they would any other new tenant. And adding a roomate would require then to change the lease which would also allow them to market correct the price and they won't pass up that opportunity on a rent control unit that is at 1990s pricing.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:58 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldine3131 View Post
If I wanted a partner/companion to move in with me, I 'd have to wait to turn 62 to be allowed to enter a certified domestic partnership!!! or get married... which is not my intention. So I am basically condemned to live alone for the rest of my stay in that two-bedroom apartment!!!
No offense but if I met a man I most definitely would want him to be able to handle his business and be able to provide! Todays women spend too much time worrying about how they are going to provide/take care of a man when Biblically it's supposed to be the other way around! We can equally share in the decisions of the relationship, but I won't be worrying about bringing somebody into my current situation and they can't do anything to help make it better.

IJS

Old 11-02-2016, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 8,185 times
Thanks for all the advice ! The City Attorney and Rent Control are on my side. I'll be alright! The landlord is still trying very hard but at the end I have fair housing laws on my side.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:55 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
No offense but if I met a man I most definitely would want him to be able to handle his business and be able to provide!
Welp, you've just set back the feminist movement by about 100 years. Good job - not many people can pull off such a feat in one sentence.
Quote:
Todays women spend the right amount of time worrying about how they are going to provide/take care of themselves
Fixed it for you.
Quote:
when Biblically it's supposed to be
Biblically, you should be able to own slaves to take car of household chores.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:40 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Welp, you've just set back the feminist movement by about 100 years. Good job - not many people can pull off such a feat in one sentence.Fixed it for you.Biblically, you should be able to own slaves to take car of household chores.
In my view the feminist movement is about women getting equal treatment and pay in the workplace, not being **** shamed, woman are baby makers only, etc. I did NOT go back 100 years, I am just old fashioned about courtship. I just don't get this new age worry about if the woman can have a place for my spouse thing, taking care of a man etc. Glad that the OP has her situation worked out though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles