Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 03:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What Tongva descendants are left would have the real claim of being natives.

I wonder how many of these Maoist hooligans actually live in Boyle Heights or have ties to it. They even picketed Self-Help Graphics which dates back to the 1970s Chicano Movement. Wouldn't be surprised if the majority don't. They're probably college students brainwashed by Howard Zinn and Rudy Acuna books and racial identity politics.
Yeah a bunch of "colonizer " nonsense drivel .

If you want to live in America , capitalism is part of the deal.

Hopefully the authorities are watching this group closely . They should be labeled a terrorism group .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 08:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What Tongva descendants are left would have the real claim of being natives.

I wonder how many of these Maoist hooligans actually live in Boyle Heights or have ties to it. They even picketed Self-Help Graphics which dates back to the 1970s Chicano Movement. Wouldn't be surprised if the majority don't. They're probably college students brainwashed by Howard Zinn and Rudy Acuna books and racial identity politics.
My how we think alike. Age does this. Howard Zinn and that manner of thinking is poisonous.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Possses On Broadway View Post
Not a black neighborhood...
Who said it was ?

Old 11-05-2016, 10:31 PM

296 posts, read 232,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's sad that our Mayor says he's so concerned with racism yet him and the city council won't say anything about this .
That's because anti-white racism doesn't count. The mayor is not concerned about it.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I totally agree. I heard about this on NPR during my commute home this evening. A lady was interviewed and she said that when art galleries come to her community, it brings changes that are disruptive and not welcomed. Who the hell does not welcome art and culture into their neighborhood? I'll tell you, low class people who do not value improvements in their neighborhood. They want to keep the upper class riff raff out so they can continue to have lower rents. Well, I hope this lady realizes that change is a coming and there's nothing they can do about it. This racist act really shows the character of some of those people. It's a shame.
Look, you just literally blew into LA last week.

So please don't start thinking you can tell people what they can or cannot do here.

You can't buy class. There are many people with money who have no class. Going to an art gallery and spending too much for coffee doesn't make you classy.

Not looking down on people who have less than you but not making them feel that way and treating them the same, does.

There is a major homeless problem here in LA, how many of those people got displaced?

It's not about art galleries, it's about rents getting outrageous.

It's not just LA or CA, the middle class is disappearing.

I can understand why someone who has long time roots in a community can resent change, especially if they feel like they're being forced out.

BTW, many in Boyle Heights own their homes outright and have for years, I know two people who inherited their childhood homes, they're Latino and they're not going anywhere. Unless they decide they want to.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

So please don't start thinking you can tell people what they can or cannot do here.

You can't buy class. There are many people with money who have no class. Going to an art gallery and spending too much for coffee doesn't make you classy.

Not looking down on people who have less than you but not making them feel that way and treating them the same, does.

There is a major homeless problem here in LA, how many of those people got displaced?

I can understand why someone who has long time roots in a community can resent change, especially if they feel like they're being forced out.

BTW, many in Boyle Heights own their homes outright and have for years, I know two people who inherited their childhood homes, they're Latino and they're not going anywhere. Unless they decide they want to.
This is sort of a silly argument. If home prices hit lottery level, lots of people will sell. It happened in Highland Park, Eagle Rock, west La, westchester(where 3/2 1500 sq ft homes went from $250k to over a million presently since 2000), and it's starting to happen in Inglewood. When prices net homeowners hundreds of thousands, they start selling.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This is sort of a silly argument. If home prices hit lottery level, lots of people will sell. It happened in Highland Park, Eagle Rock, west La, westchester(where 3/2 1500 sq ft homes went from $250k to over a million presently since 2000), and it's starting to happen in Inglewood. When prices net homeowners hundreds of thousands, they start selling.
Especially if they want to move out of the area it makes sense .

Let's say they are Hispanic family which if they are in Boyle heights they most likely are, they could likely have a much nicer house in Houston another city with a big Hispanic population .

Obviously not everyone will sell but for those long time owners it can be a good opportunity.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
No, it isn't.

I'm well aware of what homes are selling for in Eagle Rock and Highland Park, I live in the area in one of them. And not everyone is selling. Because when you sell unless you plan on leaving the area or the state, where are you going to go? Some people view houses as homes.

You see when you sell, you have to go elsewhere.

I guess you forgot about the housing crash and aren't familiar with economics? Eventually there is always a crash/downturn. We're already heading into another recession, pay attention. Never too smart to think you're better than others, because you never know what's around the corner. Especially these days considering how chaotic this country has gotten.

I know a family who went from living in a million dollar plus home in Encino to renting a two bedroom apt, combination of bad luck and some bad decisions. Lesson learned from seeing that, don't get too big for your britches. So going around thinking you're all that, well as the saying goes "be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because they're the same people you meet on the way down".

Only fools think there is no end to overpriced homes.

I also don't want to hear someone who just got to LA last week telling people how things are going to be, let's see if she even lasts. Her other posts shows she has already set herself up for a really, really bad commute....LOL. I find most of these people are gone after a year or two.

Whine about horrible traffic when they rent an apt 30 miles from their job. She needs to worry more about having any hair left in her head, instead of Boyle Heights. I doubt she has even ever stepped foot in the area.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I'll look down on people that deface property .

The idea of people being pushed out is an exaggeration. Also the councilman of the area said vast majority of people living there are protected by rent control and change won't happen overnight .

I don't think people should be given the false hope that Garcetti is going to build affordable housing for everyone .
Sometimes people just need to move instead of waiting for government help

Old 11-06-2016, 12:03 PM

406 posts, read 348,391 times
Quote:
No, it isn't.

I'm well aware of what homes are selling for in Eagle Rock and Highland Park, I live in the area in one of them. And not everyone is selling. Because when you sell unless you plan on leaving the area or the state, where are you going to go? Some people view houses as homes.

You see when you sell, you have to go elsewhere.

I guess you forgot about the housing crash and aren't familiar with economics? Eventually there is always a crash/downturn. We're already heading into another recession, pay attention. Never too smart to think you're better than others, because you never know what's around the corner. Especially these days considering how chaotic this country has gotten.

I know a family who went from living in a million dollar plus home in Encino to renting a two bedroom apt, combination of bad luck and some bad decisions. Lesson learned from seeing that, don't get too big for your britches. So going around thinking you're all that, well as the saying goes "be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because they're the same people you meet on the way down".

Only fools think there is no end to overpriced homes.

I also don't want to hear someone who just got to LA last week telling people how things are going to be, let's see if she even lasts. Her other posts shows she has already set herself up for a really, really bad commute....LOL. I find most of these people are gone after a year or two.

Whine about horrible traffic when they rent an apt 30 miles from their job. She needs to worry more about having any hair left in her head, instead of Boyle Heights. I doubt she has even ever stepped foot in the area.
Hmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles