Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM

53 posts, read 125,199 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I know I know, you are have probably seen the "I am moving to LA" question a ZILLION times, but I do have a few questions. Here is my situation, so maybe you can understand me a little better. I have been doing research on behalf of my boyfriend who wants to go into film writing. The reason I am researching is because I would like to know what we are jumping into. We won’t be moving until next fall at the earliest. We recently had a family tragedy that has set us back a few years, we were originally hoping to already be moved out there. We both understand the probability of making in the film industry, but we would still like to try. We both agree that it is better to go out there and try to make it and end up failing rather than stay at home the rest of our lives wondering “what if” everyday. I also believe that it might be better for me career wise, since I have an Associates degree in Marketing (I will be enrolling into school at least part time, once we get out there, so that I can earn a bachelors degree in public relations). My boyfriend has been looking at LA Film School for about a year now, and thinks that it would be a good idea. So here are my questions:
*Has anyone graduated from LA Film School?
*What is the school/work load like?
*Is it a respected school within the film industry?
*We are moving from a stereotypical small Midwest town, what can we expect while living in LA (which we know not to believe what we see in the movies)
* What is the job market like? (I will probably be the main support for both of us since he will be going to school)
* Should we bring a car? Can we walk everywhere?
*What are some nice areas outside of downtown LA that might be a little cheaper on apartments?
* What are some areas to avoid?
* anything else that you might find helpful for me to know?

We plan on taking a trip out there and checking things out, but I would like to have a game plan on what we need to look at, etc. when we go to visit out there. We have family in San Diego who offered for us to stay with them for while we visit. How far is San Diego from LA? Okay thanks everyone!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,183 times
i didnt go there so i cant comment on the other questions, but i will be attending the new york film academy next week, so i know a little about the film industry. im sure others on here can go into more detail.

* What is the job market like? (I will probably be the main support for both of us since he will be going to school)
there are plenty of jobs in film, mostly editing and stuff like that

definantly bring a car. you can walk places but why walk when you can drive?

*What are some nice areas outside of downtown LA that might be a little cheaper on apartments?
burbank is nice, it's also where a ton of film jobs are; studio 800-1200, 1 bedroom 1000+
toluca lake
studio city
sherman oaks
los feliz

most of north hollywood, the noho area closest to burbank, studio city and toluca lake are good.
van nuys
im sure there are more but i let others go deeper into that.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 PM

52 posts, read 133,174 times
This is a great post! I myself am graduating in September of thsi year and will be moving out to LA in October. It's good to hear Burbank, Toluca Lake mentioned. I have heard these neighborhoods mentioned about 5 times as far as safeness and cheaper apartments go.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,183 times
i live in west toluca lake/north hollywood, and i like it a lot. really safe and pretty cheap, im paying $875 for a nice size studio. it's pretty quiet, except there is a fire station right down the road so you hear sirens 5-10 times a day, but im starting to not even notice anymore. same with the traffic helicopter, since the ventura freeway is right behind my building.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 AM

485 posts, read 1,704,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
i didnt go there so i cant comment on the other questions, but i will be attending the new york film academy next week, so i know a little about the film industry. im sure others on here can go into more detail.

there are plenty of jobs in film, mostly editing and stuff like that

definantly bring a car. you can walk places but why walk when you can drive?

burbank is nice, it's also where a ton of film jobs are; studio 800-1200, 1 bedroom 1000+
toluca lake
studio city
sherman oaks
los feliz

most of north hollywood, the noho area closest to burbank, studio city and toluca lake are good.
van nuys
im sure there are more but i let others go deeper into that.
WHY do people always say to avoid Van Nuys??? Just saying that is way too general, and I am getting sick of seeing that posted on this site. I am a little white girl from small-town Midwest and I feel pretty safe living in Van Nuys. I am on Sepulveda near Sherman Oaks and this area isn't any worse than some locations directly in Sherman Oaks. I definitely know that Van Nuys has its ugly and dangerous parts, but there ARE some good areas, too. And they are much more affordable than other parts of the Valley.

I pay $1325 for a nice one-bedroom apt. and have wood floors, a large porch and fireplace. This same apt. would cost at least $1500 or more a few miles from here. I moved here from Woodland Hills and of course it isn't as posh, but I get much more for my money. I just wish people on this board wouldn't scare newbies away from Van Nuys so often!

Oh, and to the OP: I have four years of experience in entertainment publicity and I just wanted to warn you that the competition is FIERCE for good jobs in pr in L.A. There are so, so many shady little pr "businesses" here that will treat you like crap and pay you dirt. They pay you crap because they feel that they are doing you a great "favor" by letting you work at industry events - you will work long hours and usually won't get paid overtime for it. The entertainment pr agencies also use a lot of interns who will work for free just to get the experience they so desperately seek. I have worked in pr at several of the major film studios as a temp and the pay is pretty low - about $13-$15/hour. Let's just say that I couldn't live on the salary alone here. You definitely won't want to count on just your salary, at least until you get a lot of experience in the field. The entertainment pr industry here is totally "who you know" so it is tough landing a good job even with a killer resume or experience. Most of the jobs are freelance/part-time/contract/temporary, and you are always scrambling for your next gig so that you can pay the rent. This problem isn't unique to me- I know lots of other people here who work in pr and are struggling. My advice would be to pursue other areas of pr besides entertainment - you will have a MUCH better chance of landing a good job, and will have a lot less competition. I seriously moved here having done pr for most of the major film studios while at a field agency in Florida, and I still can't really seem to break in. I came here with so much experience and it hasn't really helped. It really wears on you and breaks your spirit after a while. The entertainment industry certainly isn't as glamorous as it looks!

Last edited by gypsystar; 02-27-2008 at 02:13 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 AM

147 posts, read 471,673 times
Quote:
i will be attending the new york film academy next week, so i know a little about the film industry.
Thanks for that. One of the funnier things I've read in a while. LA Film Academy and NY Film Academy aren't real schools. They are pay to pretend you're a filmmaker for 8 months or so. You will be able to work on student films. But you can do that for free by responding to posts on Craigslist. Unless you have the money from independent wealth I'd advise, do not take out loans to attend these schools. You will be setting youself up for trouble.

Volunteer your time. You won't be making money, but it's free. You have to pay back loans and it limits future options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles