Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 698 times

Advertisements

Hello, and thanks in advance for any input/help/advice:

I am relocating from North San Diego County to Los Angeles for a job, and as someone that has never been to the city aside from for my interview last week, am in desperate need of some guidance.

I will be working near Warner Bros. Studio in Burbank, but my job will require me to travel regularly to the downtown area for events as well. I recently found an apartment just north of Barnsdale Park that was within my price range and is a nice "in-the-middle" location for what my work requires, but was unsure about the safety/appeal of the area.

What is crime/safety like in this area? Obviously being a park in an urban setting, I assume homelessness is at least somewhat an issue. That does not worry me as much, though. Being that I lived in Chicago before moving to the west coast, I am more concerned about gang activity -- as I know how easily affordable neighborhoods in a big city can change from block to block. I am a male in my mid-20's, but just want to make sure I am in a neighborhood where I will be able to walk my dog safely when I get home at night.

The unit I am looking at is less than a block from the northwest end of the park, so was hoping someone could provide some insight into what this neighborhood is like. Input on the neighborhood vibe would be great as well.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 01:26 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
North of the park is a great area. You are basically in Los Feliz and by Griffith Park. The areas west of Vermont as you get closer to Thai Town and Little Armenia are probably a little dirtier but it's a relatively safe area and Los Feliz is pretty hip and full of younger people with some nice bars, cafes, restaurants along Vermont and Hillhurst

Old 11-18-2016, 02:34 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
I have a buddy, who until recently, for a long time lived just northwest of Barnsdall Park between Hollywood Blvd. and Franklin.

The area is better now than late 90s/early 2000s based on my buddy's comments and from my own observations when visiting. Used to be some gang activity but that has lessened and mostly south of Hollywood Blvd. As mentioned earlier, it's definitely grittier as you head further west toward and past Normandie. Lots of old apartment buildings and homeless folks.

If you are able to, I'd try to find a place east of Vermont and above Franklin. That is a more desirable area of Los Feliz that is quieter and safer but still walking distance to all the great bars on Vermont and Hillhurst.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:28 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Agree with the others. That area is fine. There shouldn't be gang issues. As you already deduced, most of the problems in the area are related to a growing homeless population and associated property crime. Even a block in this area can make a difference, and with the exception of New Hampshire (with homeless camping behind the post office parking lot and at the elementary school), the neighborhood gets worse as you head towards Western Ave and the closer to Hollywood Blvd you are. Closer to Vermont (with the above exception of New Hampshire) and closer to Franklin are nicer.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:54 PM

6 posts, read 3,414 times
Hi. Lots of good info on the previous post's. You can google Hollywood neighborhood council's or Los Angeles' cities neighborhood councils and get some info on what might be going on there that may affect you. Why not consider the North Hollywood area, south end. This area is frickin booming with the young/mid age crowd. And its close to Warner Bros and the Metro/Lankershim transportation complex if you decide to use public trans to get downtown.
The LA city utility is LADWP and they aren't cheap. So, if that's a concern look into Burbank on the west side or even Glendale, both of which have there own utility's internal to them.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles