Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:30 PM

252 posts, read 359,252 times

Advertisements

Do dispensaries check driver's license AND medical ID card ? I have California medical recommendation letter & ID card but my driver's license is from another state . Will that be a problem buying in Los Angeles this month ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:48 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Ones I've been to have all checked letter and driver license. ID card is useless, nobody cares about that. Technically you don't have to be a CA resident per the laws but from what I've heard most doctors and dispensaries won't serve out of staters. Call around. I'm sure ones in highly touristy areas like Hollywood and Venice are more flexible

Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm sure ones in highly touristy areas like Hollywood and Venice are more flexible
"I Tried to Find the Sketchiest Marijuana Dispensary in LA"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/i...spensary-in-la

Old 01-07-2017, 01:38 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,483 times
Check Weedmaps. They have a new "recreational" filter that shows you storefronts and deliveries that only check your license.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:52 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
Do dispensaries check driver's license AND medical ID card ? I have California medical recommendation letter & ID card but my driver's license is from another state . Will that be a problem buying in Los Angeles this month ?
Unless something's changed since the last time I was in LA, all you need to do is walk down the Venice boardwalk. 20-year old blondes in shorts and halter tops will literally drag you into the dispensaries. I kept telling them all I wanted to do was rollerblade and maybe buy some candles from that little table in front of the place with all the hats, but they wouldn't let go of my arm until I physically tore myself out of their hands and skated away. I rolled off back toward Santa Monica thinking to myself, "Man - I am a long way from Minnesota!"

Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Unless something's changed since the last time I was in LA, all you need to do is walk down the Venice boardwalk. 20-year old blondes in shorts and halter tops will literally drag you into the dispensaries. I kept telling them all I wanted to do was rollerblade and maybe buy some candles from that little table in front of the place with all the hats, but they wouldn't let go of my arm until I physically tore myself out of their hands and skated away. I rolled off back toward Santa Monica thinking to myself, "Man - I am a long way from Minnesota!"
Should of sued them or the dispensary pimping them out for assault lol. But I guess 20 year old blonde girls in shorts and halter tops can get away with that type of thing.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Check Weedmaps. They have a new "recreational" filter that shows you storefronts and deliveries that only check your license.
Looks like it won't take affect until 2018 in CA even though the law just passed.

"
Proposition 64 passed in November, but you still can't find any recreational pot shops anywhere in California. That's because the system that's supposed to regulate how marijuana is grown, transported and sold, hasn't been built yet.
Since the new law passed, it's been hurry-up-and-wait for business owners across the state, who remain in a sort of legal purgatory as regulations are established.
"When the license is figured out we all breathe a giant sigh of relief because we actually finally feel like we have a piece of paper that protects us," said Carlos de la Torre, who runs the Cornerstone Research Group, a medical marijuana collective in Los Angeles.
According to the new law, licenses for marijuana-related businesses are supposed to be issued by Jan. 1, 2018."

https://www.scpr.org/programs/take-t...l-weed-by-201/

Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Looks like it won't take affect until 2018 in CA even though the law just passed.

"
Proposition 64 passed in November, but you still can't find any recreational pot shops anywhere in California. That's because the system that's supposed to regulate how marijuana is grown, transported and sold, hasn't been built yet.
Since the new law passed, it's been hurry-up-and-wait for business owners across the state, who remain in a sort of legal purgatory as regulations are established.
"When the license is figured out we all breathe a giant sigh of relief because we actually finally feel like we have a piece of paper that protects us," said Carlos de la Torre, who runs the Cornerstone Research Group, a medical marijuana collective in Los Angeles.
According to the new law, licenses for marijuana-related businesses are supposed to be issued by Jan. 1, 2018."

https://www.scpr.org/programs/take-t...l-weed-by-201/
Well I've gotten away with it several times now. Many dispensaries were sending out email and text alerts that they were now prop 64 compliant, so there has to be a loophole somewhere. I've even paid my 8% tax when using a credit card to purchase.

Who knows. They could be offering it illegally, but the OP didn't asks for a legal solution anyway.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Well I've gotten away with it several times now. Many dispensaries were sending out email and text alerts that they were now prop 64 compliant, so there has to be a loophole somewhere. I've even paid my 8% tax when using a credit card to purchase.

Who knows. They could be offering it illegally, but the OP didn't asks for a legal solution anyway.
Yes I did hear something about places doing that .
It is interesting , maybe they figure the fine or penalty not be as bad as the extra business they might get .

Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 PM

71 posts, read 61,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
already answered this recently in another thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ica-1-1-a.html

Remember do not smoke on federal property or be caught on federal property with weed. You will be penalized according to federal law not state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm pretty sure there are medical weed docs that will do recommendations out of state visitors but I don't know any to recommend. But it's usually around $100. I think there are some in Venice.

If you have an apartment lease and you have not converted your license over to CA, you can still get a recommendation.
Some dispensaries won't let you buy without your CA ID even with recommendation. A current utility bill will help you at the dispensaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You cannot yet buy 420 without getting an MD referral, which requires CA ID. However, anyone over 21 can give you or even sell you some from their own supply..

If he had an official rental lease regardless of the months he could get a recommendation without CA ID. Airbnb will not work.

Anyone over 21 can provide him with a Free plant, Free seeds, or Free weed. If you sell weed you are in trouble with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles