Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 69,326 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am from Chicago and have never been west of Las Vegas and I only recently did that this past June. My company is sending all us managers and senior staff out to LA to build and hire our respective teams so we can heave a west coast presence!

There will be around 10-15 of us going so we will have between 3-5 Airbnbs and 6 rental cars so we can drive around and explore and meet with product influencers!

I have been looking on Google and Reddit about how the weather will be, which beaches allow dogs, where to eat and shop, etc...What i really want to know is what should a first time, 420 friendly, late 20's dude do for fun when I am not working or hanging out at home with my coworkers?

I hear it is the rainy season but it looks like the temps usually range from the 50's to the high 60's during this time and for me who has always lived either in Chicago or Michigan that weather sounds amazing for Winter!

I will be bringing my longboard, my 5 year old female Amstaff and plan on hiking as much as I can with her weather permitting. I want to take advantage of actually being able to snowboard on a mountain so a few coworkers and I want to find a place within a few hours drive of Santa Monica to do that!

What else do you suggest I check out while I am there!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Make sure your temporary residence allows dogs, and if so, American Staffordshire Terriers, a breed on the "dangerous breeds" list.
You cannot yet buy 420 without getting an MD referral, which requires CA ID. However, anyone over 21 can give you or even sell you some from their own supply.
It snows and there's skiing up in Big Bear or Wrightwood, although that will require winter clothing which you'd otherwise not need. The mountains here almost always require chains for tires, and they will make you go through a checkpoint.
The ocean will require a wetsuit.
A leather jacket will be the warmest you'd need when not in the mountains.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
I'm pretty sure there are medical weed docs that will do recommendations out of state visitors but I don't know any to recommend. But it's usually around $100. I think there are some in Venice. You can probably get better info on some reddit forums on that.

But other then that, you'll be close to both Getty Museums. I definitely recommend the main Getty if you've never been to LA. Plenty to do in santa monica. Check out some hikes.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:37 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,690,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrakedMask View Post
plan on hiking as much as I can
Temescal Canyon Park
Los Liones Canyon & East Topanga State Park

Old 12-17-2016, 01:04 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm pretty sure there are medical weed docs that will do recommendations out of state visitors but I don't know any to recommend. But it's usually around $100. I think there are some in Venice. You can probably get better info on some reddit forums on that.

But other then that, you'll be close to both Getty Museums. I definitely recommend the main Getty if you've never been to LA. Plenty to do in santa monica. Check out some hikes.
Most places it's a great deal lower than $100. Usually it's $60 at most. The cheapest on the west side is on Venice near Motor.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:06 AM

176 posts, read 177,349 times
Big Bear and Mt High ARE NOT REAL MOUNTAINS. You'll have to go to Mammoth for real snowboarding. Those three (if you count Snow Summit) places do not qualify.

Mammoth with be about a 5 hour drive from SM but it's a much easier drive than going to Big Bear. You might need AWD or chains, if not both depending on the time of year. If you go a bit later in the season you will have some good spring conditions and easy driving.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:33 AM

71 posts, read 61,095 times
Remember do not smoke on federal property or be caught on federal property with weed. You will be penalized according to federal law not state.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there are medical weed docs that will do recommendations out of state visitors but I don't know any to recommend. But it's usually around $100. I think there are some in Venice.
If you have an apartment lease and you have not converted your license over to CA, you can still get a recommendation.

Some dispensaries won't let you buy without your CA ID even with recommendation. A current utility bill will help you at the dispensaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Most places it's a great deal lower than $100. Usually it's $60 at most. The cheapest on the west side is on Venice near Motor.
$40 bucks new patients...Nirvana Clinic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You cannot yet buy 420 without getting an MD referral, which requires CA ID. However, anyone over 21 can give you or even sell you some from their own supply..
If he had an official rental lease regardless of the months he could get a recommendation without CA ID. Airbnb will not work.

Anyone over 21 can provide him with a Free plant, Free seeds, or Free weed. If you sell weed you are in trouble with the law.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:11 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
Big Bear and Mt High ARE NOT REAL MOUNTAINS. You'll have to go to Mammoth for real snowboarding. Those three (if you count Snow Summit) places do not qualify.

Mammoth with be about a 5 hour drive from SM but it's a much easier drive than going to Big Bear. You might need AWD or chains, if not both depending on the time of year. If you go a bit later in the season you will have some good spring conditions and easy driving.
I'm curious why you need AWD/FWD or chains to get up to Mammoth? I just looked up some drives and pictures, and it doesn't look any worse than driving up to Killington, back east. I have AWD, so not concerned, when I do ski...but if you know how to manage a car in snow, then it shouldn't be an issue?

OP--use weedmaps.com . Kind of like Yelp.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:28 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I'm curious why you need AWD/FWD or chains to get up to Mammoth? I just looked up some drives and pictures, and it doesn't look any worse than driving up to Killington, back east. I have AWD, so not concerned, when I do ski...but if you know how to manage a car in snow, then it shouldn't be an issue?

OP--use weedmaps.com . Kind of like Yelp.
Because when it snows Highway Patrol sets up road blocks and turns you away if you don't have chains.

I grew up in New England and this isn't New England. In New England you put snow tires on your car in October/November and keep them on until April. Here people don't buy snow tires because they are only driving in snow a few days out of the year. Driving up a mountain road in the snow on all season or high performance tires like most people have is a recipe for disaster. Also Killington is 4k feet elevation which is hardly a mountain. Mammoth is 11k feet. I was up at Big Bear a few weeks ago which is only 8k feet and had to drive down the mountain in a snow storm and it was a nightmare. Lines of traffic both ways on single lane mountain passes with people fish tailing all over the road and sliding into ditches all while you try not to go over the side of the mountain.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:54 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,628 times
Quote:
Because when it snows Highway Patrol sets up road blocks and turns you away if you don't have chains.

I grew up in New England and this isn't New England. In New England you put snow tires on your car in October/November and keep them on until April. Here people don't buy snow tires because they are only driving in snow a few days out of the year. Driving up a mountain road in the snow on all season or high performance tires like most people have is a recipe for disaster. Also Killington is 4k feet elevation which is hardly a mountain. Mammoth is 11k feet. I was up at Big Bear a few weeks ago which is only 8k feet and had to drive down the mountain in a snow storm and it was a nightmare. Lines of traffic both ways on single lane mountain passes with people fish tailing all over the road and sliding into ditches all while you try not to go over the side of the mountain.
Got it! Thanks! Back east, I rotated between all season and snow tires. I do have AWD and my tires are currently all season....but guess I will buy chains, to be safe. I did the CT---MA and CT--NY daily commutes, in the winter, so used to lots of snow and ice (and rain, ha,) but not the elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles