Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,196 times

Advertisements

I did not really search this forum to much to see if anyone was in the same boat as I am. But I am looking to make a move out to California in the next 12-18 months and have a lot of places I am interested in. I would like to know the pros and cons of the following areas. The areas Im listing are in order from most interest to least interest. (This could change depending on feedback)

-Calabasas
-Sherman Oaks
-Burbank
-NorthRidge
-Pasadena
-Brentwood
-Also, could you tell me the differences between Woodland Hills, Mission Hills, Hidden Hills, and Augora Hills? I am very interested in these areas as well.

I work for Enterprise and I can transfer to any one of these locations. Just would like to see some feedback and maybe point me in the right direction. I do not want to live directly in hollywood. I like Calabasas because I hear it is quiet and remote, but I also hear there is nothing to do. So I'm looking for the right balance of quiet and some nice activities. I am looking for a nice suburban area. Preferably a little outside of all the hustle and bustle. I am also 20 years old. So anything that you think a 20 year old should know about these areas please feel free to include.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Calabasas and Brentwood are probably the two most expensive places on your list then Pasadena, Burbank and Sherman Oaks and Northridge would probably be the least expensive. Hidden Hills is where the Kardashians and other celebs live so it's pretty expensive, Augora Hills is pretty expensive. Woodland Hills is one of the more affordable places on your list and has all the suburban comforts like giant mall, multiplex movie theaters and chain restaurants. The most affordable 1 bedroom apartments in decent areas will run about $1500 and up so you may have to consider living with roomates depending on your budget. Budget and commutes are generally the first thing to consider in LA

Old 01-23-2017, 06:38 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
1. Sherman Oaks
2. Pasadena
3. Burbank
4. Woodland Hills

Many of the other areas you listed are nice but are for families.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
1. Sherman Oaks
2. Pasadena
3. Burbank
4. Woodland Hills

Many of the other areas you listed are nice but are for families.
If they are looking for quiet suburban area I would probably reverse the order of that list

Old 01-23-2017, 07:29 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
For a 20 year old single individual, Sherman Oaks and Pasadena are two solid options. I'd also recommend Woodland Hills and Burbank. All of these areas have things to do, but aren't too busy and dense like Hollywood.

If you get a job in Calabasas, Woodland Hills and Sherman Oaks are good spots that are safe, not too busy, but with things to do. Woodland Hills is next to Calabasas and has a lot of new apartments plus you've got a few big shopping centers/malls. Sherman Oaks has a lot of good bars and restaurants that are within close walking distance and is a little more single-friendly. As mentioned earlier, if you want a decent place that isn't old and has at least a couple amenities, expect to pay $1,500/month minimum in either of these areas.

Pasadena is a good location as well with a fair amount of activities in Old Town. The key is to stay south of the 210 freeway.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Calabasas and Brentwood are probably the two most expensive places on your list then Pasadena, Burbank and Sherman Oaks and Northridge would probably be the least expensive. Hidden Hills is where the Kardashians and other celebs live so it's pretty expensive, Augora Hills is pretty expensive. Woodland Hills is one of the more affordable places on your list and has all the suburban comforts like giant mall, multiplex movie theaters and chain restaurants. The most affordable 1 bedroom apartments in decent areas will run about $1500 and up so you may have to consider living with roomates depending on your budget. Budget and commutes are generally the first thing to consider in LA
Thank you all for the answers, anything to say about Thousand Oaks?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePintande View Post
Similar to Calabasas or Augora Hills. Not cheap, great schools, great for families, probably boring for a single 20 something

Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePintande View Post
Why the desire to move here? Have you even visited? It doesn't sound like it from your comments.

Suggest you visit, I know people are all different, but I don't get a 20 year old who wants to live 30 miles or so outside of LA proper. I mean other than the weather(which is great) what's the point of moving to Southern CA and live in areas where most people are going to be twice your age or older with kids?

There is also the cost factor. If you work for Enterprise are you in management at least? I would also have at least $10K saved up for reserves.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
OP, depending on what you do for Enterprise and whether or not there will be a COL adjustment, you may find a move to the L.A. area prohibitive from the standpoint of being able to afford it.

If you don't mind my asking, how did your interest in the areas you mentioned develop? The reason I ask is because, in addition to being all over the place, those aren't the spots in L.A. that one really considers as a 20-year-old...

Of the locations you've listed, Pasadena and Brentwood would give you the most to do, but are not cheap at all. That said, you don't necessarily need to live right next to your workplace, so it's a moot point...

Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
why the desire to move here? Have you even visited? It doesn't sound like it from your comments.

Suggest you visit, i know people are all different, but i don't get a 20 year old who wants to live 30 miles or so outside of la proper. I mean other than the weather(which is great) what's the point of moving to southern ca and live in areas where most people are going to be twice your age or older with kids?

There is also the cost factor. If you work for enterprise are you in management at least? I would also have at least $10k saved up for reserves.
+100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles