Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I plan to visit Los Angeles for the first time later this year. I and my family booked a hotel close to LAX within walking distance to the Green Line in hopes of riding the Metro into town for one day just to get the feel of LA's public transit (I am a huge transit fan) and then renting a car to explore the rest of the metro area the rest of the time. I keep coming over horror stories about the Green and Blues (and especially the Blue Line) however, of crime, aggravation, delays, and slow traffic. My question to you locals is how bad is the experience of riding into Downtown LA from the Hawthorne/Inglewood area?

As a huge transit buff, I have ridden metros all around North America, sometimes alone, even in reputably tough cities on the East Coast and Midwest and have had no problems. The occasional panhandler, illegal vendor, drunk, or homeless bum annoys me more than threatens me. However, I am also taking along my elderly parents which is why I have to be more cautious this time around. I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM

329 posts, read 656,438 times
Green line is good all times. Blue line is not that great as green line, but you should be fine.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:08 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
You'll be fine if you are male, but to avoid the majority of issues don't ride late at night.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:42 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Transit is fine. However, I have NO CLUE why you'd want to stay near the airport. I also don't think you need to rent a car. Just take Metro downtown when you land, and you will easily be able to do day trips to other parts of the area by transit (Hollywood, Westside, Pasadena, etc.)

Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM

925 posts, read 1,065,502 times
Been riding both the Green and Blue Lines for years from LAX to downtown LA. Never had any problems other than the usual characters you see in any big city transit system. BTW the Green Line connection from LAX to Aviation station is great.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
With access to the green line(and I'm not sure that's a given depending on where you are staying), you could take the public lines to downtown LB, downtown LA, k town, Hollywood, universal city, Culver City, and Pasadena.

It's a fairly decent way to get around and most Angelenos are still relatively ignorant of it.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
You'll be fine. The Blue Line is worse south of the Green Line (you wont be going that way) plus during the day its not bad. You'll see a couple of suits and people with luggage at the Blue Line/Green Line Willowbrook station.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You'll be fine. The Blue Line is worse south of the Green Line (you wont be going that way) plus during the day its not bad. You'll see a couple of suits and people with luggage at the Blue Line/Green Line Willowbrook station.
Yes you would be surprised how many LAX passengers take the Green Line to the airport. Especially foreigners who are usually much more travel aware.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:59 PM

509 posts, read 484,932 times
Just do yourself a favor and don't search for "crazy people on LA subways" on YouTube. Not only will it scare you off riding our illustrious transit system to nowhere (still doesn't quite reach the airport proper, but close enough I guess), but it might make you loathe humanity in general.

But that is just a fraction of the riders; you'll be fine. Just be aware as you would in any urban area.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
Just do yourself a favor and don't search for "crazy people on LA subways" on YouTube. Not only will it scare you off riding our illustrious transit system to nowhere (still doesn't quite reach the airport proper, but close enough I guess), but it might make you loathe humanity in general.

But that is just a fraction of the riders; you'll be fine. Just be aware as you would in any urban area.
Same advice for other major cities. Crazy people are all over the NYC subways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles