Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 11:30 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,422 times

Advertisements

Hey all--

So, I've been in the the Marina/Culver West (near Costco) area since October and am going to be moving just shy of a mile up Washington Place. I haven't been using my AC much in MDR--just have my windows open at night. Obviously I know summer just started and that it can and will get warm (keeping in mind I'm used to the humidity of the NYC tri-state.) My new place doesn't have central air. It does face west, with full sliding doors. The bedroom also has a brand new (powerful) ceiling fan.

My question for you guys: Does anyone know just how much warmer it will be, a mile in? I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a full apartment AC (like 14K BTUs) or just get one for the bedroom (maybe 8K BTUs) and a nice corner, stand up fan for the living room. I haven't had a full summer here yet--just visited for two weeks in the summer, while originally apartment hunting, last year. So, thoughts? Suggestions for something different?

Gotta say, fantastic apartment find--2K, over 800 sq ft, fully updated (stainless steel kitchen with dishwasher, hardwood, huge balcony, an enormous amount of storage, gated, private parking, on site management and fantastic owners)--on the Westside, just west of Grand View and Washington Place. Saving myself over 1K a month, taking this place. Good real estate can be found, if you hunt for it!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:09 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,594 times
I live very close to you and you may find you do not need air conditioning at all, especially if you'll get good air circulation with west facing sliding doors and a ceiling fan. It'll stay pretty temperate most of the year. The hottest months are usually August, September and October, but even then, there's probably only two or three weeks where it would be nice to have ac. If you really feel you should have it, just get one for the bedroom.

If you are not home during the day, keep the blinds shut to keep the heat out, then open everything up in the evening to let that coastal breeze that picks up about 4pm blow out any heat, and most of the time you'll find it pretty comfortable.

Congratulations on the apartment! I agree, reasonable deals are out there if you are patient and persistent.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,618 times
I live up near Pasadena and while it does get hot in the summer, If in the low to mid 90s, it cools down enough at night that a window fan and a regular fan blowing on me is enough to cool me down. Air con would make me cold that I throw on a thicker blanket. Usually need the Air con when it gets above 100 because at nighttime, the radiant heating keeps the air night in the 80s. But I think the coastal areas will be much cooler. Anyway, just see how this summer works for you, you can always get one if it is too much. But a couple of fans would be enough for me. The only really bad time is if Socal gets some tail end of dying hurricane or tropical depression or the pineapple express thing where warm moist air from Hawaii moves in CA's direction. I hate humidity.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:01 AM

Awesome! Thank you both, very much My apartment was definitely a great find--I'm looking forward to being able to walk to the Mar Vista Farmer's market, yet I'm still only a mile from the start of the Marina with Costco, etc.

I'm home 3-4 days a week (remote, IT) but will definitely keep the blinds closed tip, in mind, when I am not!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:34 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Awesome! Thank you both, very much My apartment was definitely a great find--I'm looking forward to being able to walk to the Mar Vista Farmer's market, yet I'm still only a mile from the start of the Marina with Costco, etc.

I'm home 3-4 days a week (remote, IT) but will definitely keep the blinds closed tip, in mind, when I am not!
You might want an AC for maybe 10 days a year. A portable unit might be $350. Considering you are saving $1000 a month, but an AC just in case.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You might want an AC for maybe 10 days a year. A portable unit might be $350. Considering you are saving $1000 a month, but an AC just in case.
Thank you! I'm not worried about the cost of the AC, I was more just worried of BTUs etc. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2017, 10:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Take a compass with you to visit the apartment. Ideally, you do not have any west facing windows, nor even a west-facing wall. Of course, shade trees will help quite a bit.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
I lived in Hawaii for eleven years and found that with one window A/C unit in the BR we did just fine. When I lived in LA we never even thought about A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles