Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Blacks are much more likely to get arrested for marijuana than whites even though blacks and whites are just as likely to use it.

A white person with a criminal record is more likely to get a call back from an employer than a black without a criminal record.

Discrimination in the workplace is still a real problem. Only 5% of white college graduates are unemployed compared to 10% of Hispanics and blacks. Even though some of this can be explained by lack of networks, there could be some discrimination as well, just look at the above statement. I remember a Latino studies professor who had degrees in other things but the university only gave him the option of being a Latino studies professor. A Latina was passed for a promotion and it was instead of given to a white woman even though the Latina was more qualified.

Housing discrimination is still a real problem. A black with a $100,000 salary on average lives in a neighborhood where a white with a $30,000 salary would live in. There have been audits where blacks can't get an apartment but whites can.

But continue to believe that white privilege is just a fairy tale. Just blame minorities for their shortcomings instead.
Nice numbers. Where are your sources?

Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I think that the concept of white privilege is a load of crap. Just try staging a White Lives Matter protest and see how far you get.
All the way to the White House chief, why do you think Trump won the election? His overwhelmingly white supporters feeling sorry for themselves.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM

It has been introduced that more African American's males go to prison then white males. Is there a correlation between the numbers of kids born to unwed mothers. Current estimates are that over 72% of African American babies are born to unwed mothers. 67% will have no father figure in the home. With teenage pregnancy the numbers have declined since 1991. Back in 1991 African American Teen pregnancy was 121 births per 1,000 compared to 26 births per 1,000 for white teens. Both numbers have declined with African American teen births declining to less than 40 births per 1,000. White teen pregnancies have declined to less than 20 per 1,000 pregnancies.

CNN's Don Lemon says more than 72 percent of African-American births are out of wedlock | PolitiFact

BlackNews.com - Rate of African American Unwed Mothers Soars to 72 Percent'

https://www.brookings.edu/research/a...united-states/

https://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/ab...-pregnancy.htm

Up until early 1970 the term shot gun marriage was used often. When a teen male got a girl pregnant they got married. The parents saw to it. These boys did the right thing. They wanted to act like married people and play house so they got to take on the responsibility that they created. I had a friend back in 1982 that got his girlfriend pregnant. They were both in high school with me. He married her and went to work. He moved into his girl friends parents home and the dad got him a job at the company he was working for. He also went to school. Both of them went to school which was kind of unusual when I was going to high school. We had a couple pregnant girls in school back then. Most of them would leave school. They are still married to this day.

A girl that lived down the street from me when I was growing up would have her boy friend sneak in at night. She was 14. By the time she was 15 she was pregnant. Her dad and brother were tipped off by the neighbor that someone had just sneaked into there home. The parents made them get married. The dad made that guy work for a living. They eventually moved into their own home. They are still doing well together. The girl is one of my sisters closest friends.

Today marriages seldom happen. The guys hardly ever do the right thing. Personal responsibility is not something that people want to take part in. The father figure in many homes is not there. These kids never learn what it is to have a dad. The mom has to work to take care of the kids and no one is there teaching the kids how to become responsible adults.

You want to fix poverty? You want to fix the problem facing the African American community? First fix the home. Put a dad in every home. Take government out of the home and put Dad and a Mom back in. Have parents teach their kids right and wrong. Teach kids respect for authority. Teach kids that when they are at a school they respect the teacher and those that run the school.

Oh and those examples that I gave of people I knew growing up? Not one of them was a white person. These were people of color that had a mom and a dad to give direction to the kids. Did the pregnancies still occur? Why yes they did. Luckily these kids had parental figures that helped them thru it and realize that they need to take responsibility for what they have done.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 07-03-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 01:32 PM

210 posts, read 200,035 times
Not sure whether white privilege is fading or not, but white presence in Los Angeles has been fading for sure.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
All the way to the White House chief, why do you think Trump won the election? His overwhelmingly white supporters feeling sorry for themselves.
It seems with well over 90 percent of black voters supporting him, which in turn led to dual victories, Obama enjoyed black privilege.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:33 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
It has been introduced that more African American's males go to prison then white males. Is there a correlation between the numbers of kids born to unwed mothers. Current estimates are that over 72% of African American babies are born to unwed mothers. 67% will have no father figure in the home. With teenage pregnancy the numbers have declined since 1991. Back in 1991 African American Teen pregnancy was 121 births per 1,000 compared to 26 births per 1,000 for white teens. Both numbers have declined with African American teen births declining to less than 40 births per 1,000. White teen pregnancies have declined to less than 20 per 1,000 pregnancies.

CNN's Don Lemon says more than 72 percent of African-American births are out of wedlock | PolitiFact

Up until early 1970 the term shot gun marriage was used often. When a teen male got a girl pregnant they got married. The parents saw to it. These boys did the right thing. They wanted to act like married people and play house so they got to take on the responsibility that they created. I had a friend back in 1982 that got his girlfriend pregnant. They were both in high school with me. He married her and went to work. He moved into his girl friends parents home and the dad got him a job at the company he was working for. He also went to school. Both of them went to school which was kind of unusual when I was going to high school. We had a couple pregnant girls in school back then. Most of them would leave school. They are still married to this day.

A girl that lived down the street from me when I was growing up would have her boy friend sneak in at night. She was 14. By the time she was 15 she was pregnant. Her dad and brother were tipped off by the neighbor that someone had just sneaked into there home. The parents made them get married. The dad made that guy work for a living. They eventually moved into their own home. They are still doing well together. The girl is one of my sisters closest friends.

Today marriages seldom happen. The guys hardly ever do the right thing. Personal responsibility is not something that people want to take part in. The father figure in many homes is not there. These kids never learn what it is to have a dad. The mom has to work to take care of the kids and no one is there teaching the kids how to become responsible adults.

You want to fix poverty? You want to fix the problem facing the African American community? First fix the home. Put a dad in every home. Take government out of the home and put Dad and a Mom back in. Have parents teach their kids right and wrong. Teach kids respect for authority. Teach kids that when they are at a school they respect the teacher and those that run the school.

Oh and those examples that I gave of people I knew growing up? Not one of them was a white person. These were people of color that had a mom and a dad to give direction to the kids. Did the pregnancies still occur? Why yes they did. Luckily these kids had parental figures that helped them thru it and realize that they need to take responsibility for what they have done.
Good post . It doesn't take wealth or a college degree to be responsible or respectful and to obey the law .
Too many on the left seem to make excuses and just have low expectations for low income people.

If you have parents that don't care about making sure their kids do the right thing you can't expect that society or government will be able to teach them that .
The media definitely isn't going to teach them .

Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Excellent post. It is always better for a kid to grow up with two parents rather than one, regardless of the genders of those parents. Single moms raising boys in particular often leads to all sorts of social ills.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM

Voter turnout? Currently underway: To determine how many illegals voted. When they vote the majority vote as Democrats. In California Illegals can get drivers licenses. Illegals have been called into jury service. Not too hard to think that the numbers would have them voting.

The Heritage Foundation published a piece that talks about this:

Do Illegal Votes Decide Elections? | The Heritage Foundation

In another story the State of Nevada has uncovered illegals that have been registered to vote.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/p...2016-election/

And it has been going on all over the nation, and as the following story shows, for many years.

Illegals in Virginia registered, voted in elections - Washington Times

Below is an interesting story on the realities of non citizen voting, both by illegal and legal non citizen immigrants.

Noncitizens, Voting Violations and U.S. Elections

"If we take the mean of these three estimates -- 7.25 percent -- and apply it to just the 22 million non-citizen residents currently in the United States, then approximately 1.6 million non-citizens vote every year. According to the high and low estimates here, that number could be as high as 2.9 million (at 13 percent of 22 million), or as low as 528,000 (2.4 percent of 22 million). Both are unacceptably high numbers."

CNN says that Clinton won the popular vote by almost 2,900,000 votes. Not that it matters as our system does not elect someone with the popular vote. Interesting to note though that statistics show that conservatively we have between 528,000 and 2,900,000 possible illegal votes and Clinton won the popular vote by 2,900,000 votes. Something sounds wrong here. Did she really win the popular vote?

It's official: Clinton swamps Trump in popular vote - CNNPolitics.com

With the Black vote Hillary got 88% which is down from Obama's 96%. Trump had 8% of the Black vote.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
White privilege is a loaded phrase since people associate privilege with wealth and elite environments and it implied white people are better off due primarily to unjust advantages.
More succinctly, it implies that white people who live comfortable lives didn't earn it.

I just checked my privilege at the ATM this morning, and I have $96 left until July 15.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What about rich blacks , Hispanics and asians are they not privileged ?
Privileged in the things that they can purchase, but not off their initial perception.

I'll give you an examples, if me and you go to check out a place for rent in say Beverly Hills/ Studio City, ect.....same credit, same income, same non-criminal history, the building owner or building manager/owner may possibly feel more at ease when you show up at the door being a white male, where as myself, even sub consciously, he might have a slight trepidation with me being a black male. I have to hope he's not clouded by all of the negative stereotypes that come with black males under the age of say 50, where you on the other hand, unless you come off as total white trash, the initial response to you might be a bit more favorable. Essentially after all things are considered, I could still get the place, but I would probably raise more of an eyebrow when I initially show up inquiring. Being white in many instances is just equated with being "safe". You're a home owner, so when do property values go up, when the neighborhood is mostly white? Or when people find out a bunch of blacks and Latino's are buying the houses?

Essentially, I think the privilege is there, IF one chooses to take advantage of it, much like capitalism. Capitalism is available to all legal Americans but how many are actually taking full advantage of it in some regard. If one chooses to be in the category or White Trash, or a Redneck, that's on you. Chris Rock once made a joke that said "Somewhere, There's a white one legged bus-boy that won't trade places with me, and I'm RICH. That's how good it is to be white "

Now on that note, I don't like the idea of "white guilt" either. I don't think that's doing anybody any favors nowadays. Its kind of backhanded belittling. A few years back I had an Unemployment hearing. I took time and presented a pretty good case to make the employer look wrong, and to show how according to unemployment guidelines, I was completely entitled to be able to collect. The white female judged ruled in my favor after about 5 minutes, cut the recorder off and begin to talk to me about sad it was for Travon Martin to have been killed and how Zimmerman should be locked up ect...She then went on a mini rant about how unfairly it was for her black judge friends not be able to get a cab and what not and how hard I have it to be black. I was gonna interject, but I decided to let her rant, take my win and get out of their. Felt like I was in the twilight zone.

The one area in LA I would say no privilege exist is in the field of education. I've seen whites get passed over time and time again for well paying administration positions for Latino's. Especially in the northern part of the Valley, the southern and eastern portions of LA county.

Last edited by jacktravern; 07-03-2017 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Extra sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles