Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Your tone on this subject is a hell of a lot different in the NYC forum.

I agree they have freedom of speech, but we live in free country and people are allowed to open businesses if they have the money. I don't really know what they can do to "stop" gentrification unless they buy property.

If I'm not mistaken, these protesters are self described Maoists, so I can't really take them seriously.
I'm impressed by these people actually trying to do something about it, rather than just claiming victimhood like "minorities" in NYC.

You criticize them, but what else should be done? Btw your stomping grounds on the LES of New York, the bars are being wiped out as gentrification continues. But all people in the LES do is just talk.

Who knows, they may very well be able to keep hipsters businesses out of Boyles Heights by scaring them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 07:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What else can people in those neighborhoods do to prevent being priced out of their homes? That's their fear.

If it weren't for the long term economic threat to them, I doubt they will do this.
What about those who do not want more housing leading to more crowding. Can they violently protest a developer building in their neighborhood? The neighborhoods do not 'belong' to the people living their totally. It belongs to the community, County and State. Beyond that anyone who wants to should be allowed to live wherever they want and be to open a business if it is permitted as well.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What about those who do not want more housing leading to more crowding. Can they violently protest a developer building in their neighborhood? The neighborhoods do not 'belong' to the people living their totally. It belongs to the community, County and State. Beyond that anyone who wants to should be allowed to live wherever they want and be to open a business if it is permitted as well.
Who is to say violently protesting a developer that's coming to change your community in ways not necessarily beneficial to the community is wrong?

No one is providing alternate action for these people to take. So apparently they will do what they have to do.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:37 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
I'm impressed by these people actually trying to do something about it, rather than just claiming victimhood like "minorities" in NYC.

You criticize them, but what else should be done? Btw your stomping grounds on the LES of New York, the bars are being wiped out as gentrification continues. But all people in the LES do is just talk.

Who knows, they may very well be able to keep hipsters businesses out of Boyles Heights by scaring them.
The LES has been super gentrified for quite some time, but it's not like the bars will go away, even in Midtown Manhattan there are still a lot of bars.

And why do you think young minorities should risk getting themselves arrested over this? The only thing they can do is try to buy property. Boyle Heights is still overwhelmingly Hispanic anyway, and I'm sure many people in Boyle Heights are homeowners.

We do live in a free country and there's no real reason someone shouldn't be able to open up an art gallery.

And it's not like only white people benefit from gentrification. I see tons of minorities in businesses (such as restaurants and bars) that would not have been there pre-gentrification.

This group just seems like a group of bored communists, and I'm not even sure if they live in Boyle Heights.

I've seen you say that nobody is entitled to live in NYC if they can't afford it, so what makes you act differently about a neighborhood in Los Angeles?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
The LES has been super gentrified for quite some time, but it's not like the bars will go away, even in Midtown Manhattan there are still a lot of bars.

And why do you think young minorities should risk getting themselves arrested over this? The only thing they can do is try to buy property. Boyle Heights is still overwhelmingly Hispanic anyway, and I'm sure many people in Boyle Heights are homeowners.

We do live in a free country and there's no real reason someone shouldn't be able to open up an art gallery.

And it's not like only white people benefit from gentrification. I see tons of minorities in businesses (such as restaurants and bars) that would not have been there pre-gentrification.

This group just seems like a group of bored communists, and I'm not even sure if they live in Boyle Heights.

I've seen you say that nobody is entitled to live in NYC if they can't afford it, so what makes you act differently about a neighborhood in Los Angeles?
True, good points.
The majority of businesses in Los Angeles are actually minority owned.

I agree the homeowners in Boyle Heights are definitely benefiting.

It seems the media always focuses on the negatives of gentrification versus the positives.

Majority of L.A. Companies Minority-Owned | Los Angeles Business Journal

Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Who is to say violently protesting a developer that's coming to change your community in ways not necessarily beneficial to the community is wrong?

No one is providing alternate action for these people to take. So apparently they will do what they have to do.
So you support this violence? You are a sick human being if this is true.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:34 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Not one person in this thread has disputed anybody's right to voice their opinion about coffee shops. Take down your strawman and burn it.
Yep. They absolutely have the right to protest. They do NOT have the right to assault people, which you claim to be ok with.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Actually a number of bars in the LES have gotten closed.

But back to California, and this is Los Angeles.

The West Coast is very different from the East Coast and people are not so complicit. It's the West Coast that first legalized marijuana, and it's Oregon that has currently decriminalized cocaine, heroin, and four other drugs.

The people who live in that neighborhood do indeed have the right to block businesses they don't like from coming into their neighborhood. White people do it all the time.

Re: my comments aimed at NY were aimed at people endlessly whining with no real plan or even attempt to do anything. At least these people in Boyle Heights are able to do something besides cry.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 AM

From an LA Times article on the topic yesterday

These people are clear racists .. oh and still no message from our city leaders on being a city of "tolerance and diversity "..

Anti-gentrification forces spent weeks trolling the coffee house on Instagram before and after it opened June 15. They held protest rallies outside the business, holding posters, including one that read “… White Coffee” and included an expletive, and another that said “AmeriKKKano to go.” They passed out fliers with a parody logo that read “White Wave.”

Some Latino residents who defended Weird Wave Coffee said they were called “coconuts” by activists. Brown on the outside, white on the inside.

A community in flux: Will Boyle Heights be ruined by one coffee shop? - LA Times

Old 07-19-2017, 10:34 AM

They are totally cool with a chain .. but not an independent shop ?
Ridiculous logic

Leonardo Vilchis, director of Union de Vecino and prominent gentrification critic, told that times that a giant chain like Starbucks is a “post-gentrification” business that no longer threatens to the neighborhood. But a small, independent like Weird Wave, which opened last month on Cesar Chavez Avenue, is “a threat to local businesses and it’s one more sign of gentrification that we need to defeat.” he said.

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/2017/...out-starbucks/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles