Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

The Hollywood elite isn't going with the hometown boy . Newsom has raised much more from limousine liberals versus Tony Villar .

This article also hints at the possibility that our Dear Mayor might throw his hat into the ring.
He has such strong ties the industry and even played Mayor on tv .

"But a question remains in consolidating Hollywood support over the next 15 months: Will Garcetti jump into the race? The Los Angeles mayor represented Hollywood when he was a city councilman and has strong ties to the most prominent names in the entertainment industry.

“It would be a scramble for those of us who love him and always want to support Eric,” said Dayna Bochco, who serves on the California Coastal Commission with Newsom and has, along with husband Steven Bochco, producer of “Hill Street Blues” and “NYPD Blue,” donated $12,500 to Newsom’s bid. “Let’s say I hope it doesn’t happen.”

Hollywood picks Gavin Newsom over Antonio Villaraigosa in California's race for governor - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The Hollywood elite isn't going with the hometown boy . Newsom has raised much more from limousine liberals versus Tony Villar .

This article also hints at the possibility that our Dear Mayor might throw his hat into the ring.
He has such strong ties the industry and even played Mayor on tv .

"But a question remains in consolidating Hollywood support over the next 15 months: Will Garcetti jump into the race? The Los Angeles mayor represented Hollywood when he was a city councilman and has strong ties to the most prominent names in the entertainment industry.

“It would be a scramble for those of us who love him and always want to support Eric,” said Dayna Bochco, who serves on the California Coastal Commission with Newsom and has, along with husband Steven Bochco, producer of “Hill Street Blues” and “NYPD Blue,” donated $12,500 to Newsom’s bid. “Let’s say I hope it doesn’t happen.”

Hollywood picks Gavin Newsom over Antonio Villaraigosa in California's race for governor - LA Times
They're going with Newsom because they're going with someone who they see as a clear winner.

As for Garcetti, since he comes from the L.A. elite they'd feel like he was one of their peers, and that's why they'd prefer him to Villaraigosa, even though Villar actually had real achievements like bringing down crime - which Garcetti reversed - and actually tried to use his influence to better the schools, while Garcetti has capitulated to the swamp. The improvements in L.A.'s transportation system which Garcetti takes credit for began under Tony V, who actually rose from a horrendous upbringing in a poor neighborhood while Garcetti's a rich boy who grew up in a cloistered existence, remote from what L.A.'s population of all races has to deal with. Now, granted, Tony V's got the morals of an alley cat and he's a massive horn dog, and is more interested in being a celebrity than governing, and I would not vote for him for a variety of reasons, but compared to Garcetti he's the lesser evil. Neither him nor Garcetti though would ever get elected as governor.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
The only reason that he is not the Governor now is because he feared that his extra marital affair would have spiked his campaign. By the time that Mayor Villagrosa's cheating also came out it was too late and we had the reprise of Governor Brown

Old 08-04-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
They're going with Newsom because they're going with someone who they see as a clear winner.

As for Garcetti, since he comes from the L.A. elite they'd feel like he was one of their peers, and that's why they'd prefer him to Villaraigosa, even though Villar actually had real achievements like bringing down crime - which Garcetti reversed - and actually tried to use his influence to better the schools, while Garcetti has capitulated to the swamp. The improvements in L.A.'s transportation system which Garcetti takes credit for began under Tony V, who actually rose from a horrendous upbringing in a poor neighborhood while Garcetti's a rich boy who grew up in a cloistered existence, remote from what L.A.'s population of all races has to deal with. Now, granted, Tony V's got the morals of an alley cat and he's a massive horn dog, and is more interested in being a celebrity than governing, and I would not vote for him for a variety of reasons, but compared to Garcetti he's the lesser evil. Neither him nor Garcetti though would ever get elected as governor.
I do agree that looking back Tony V was actually better . Garcetti promised to be a "back to basics" Mayor but he's proven a failure at that .
Hopefully Newsom does not win as he's further to the left than Brown .

Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I do agree that looking back Tony V was actually better . Garcetti promised to be a "back to basics" Mayor but he's proven a failure at that .
Hopefully Newsom does not win as he's further to the left than Brown .
Brown for everything wrong with him is at least a mature adult who has some grip on reality. God help California under Newsom

Old 08-04-2017, 06:13 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times
LA prefers gavin newsom over villagrosa? What RACISTS they are. What HIPPOCRITES they are!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:59 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
I'm not surprised in the least. Newsom is tall and good-looking with great hair, and can actually string a sentence together. But seriously he has been running and raising money for a couple of years now, is longtime friends with Maria Shriver, and his wife is an actress who dated George Clooney. I also think Hollywood Democrats are considering the long game; Newsom would be a more viable presidential candidate than Villar.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Newsom is also related to Pelosi though marriage. Personally I can't stand all 3.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I'm not surprised in the least. Newsom is tall and good-looking with great hair, and can actually string a sentence together. But seriously he has been running and raising money for a couple of years now, is longtime friends with Maria Shriver, and his wife is an actress who dated George Clooney. I also think Hollywood Democrats are considering the long game; Newsom would be a more viable presidential candidate than Villar.
Would A.V.'s scandals really sink him in a national election? Prior to Novemeber 2016 I would have said so. Now I'm not so sure. After this past November, I'd say that extramarital carryings on with adult women no longer would sink a presidential candidate. Bill Clinton proved that adultery won't sink someone already elected, Trump proved that adultery is no bar to getting elected.

However I don't think he'll beat Newsom in a statewide race. Northern Californians won't vote for an L.A. mayor

BTW, isn't Villar one of those Spanish surnames that is almost exclusively Filipino?

Old 08-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Tony V knows how to party . Winning !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles