Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
Only need 1br.

I work from home.

I'm looking for safety, and proximity to places to shop for things for the house, eat, etc.

How big of a difference would 4k make?
3k to 4k for a 1br is a big bump. You could go just about anywhere, including the West Side close to the beach.

If you're looking for upscale & walkable beachy vibe I'd gun for Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, certain parts of Venice...or if you prefer urban scene the South Park neighborhood in Downtown is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 11:46 AM

240 posts, read 240,516 times
I think with a 4K budget you can pretty much decide on going anywhere for a 1Bed. So it becomes what your lifestyle is like. Do you want to be walking distance to the beach? Go Westside/Southbay. Walkability? Culver City or Hollywood? They're all different vibes so it's what fits you best.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
If you are hooked on the beach, you have some great suggestions already. If being a little inland is ok, then check out Los Feliz, Silverlake and even South Pasadena. Los Feliz and Silverlake are in close proximity to Griffith Park, the Griffith Observatory, The Greek Theater, the Hollywood Bowl and have great freeway access. Once you develop local knowledge, getting to these from South Pasadena is easy. South Pas also offers easy access to downtown on the Gold Line.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Where in MDR? Sounds like R2 or one of those. Not exactly on the beach.
I rented a condo from an owner. It was NOT R2--not a fan of chains, I've only lived in one back east.

I'm literally up about a mile in Mar Vista now--still get to the beach VERY quickly (under 10 minutes, once you know how to get around the traffic.)

FYI, my current place was completely renovated before I moved in--stainless steel everything, new wood floors, lots of closets, garage parking--and I'm paying 2100 a month, instead of a little over 3K. I don't have amenities like a pool etc--personally, I have had them in the past and don't find that I really use them.

LA is like anywhere--you may have to hunt, but you can find what you want, in the range you want, looking hard enough. People here make it out to be way worse, at least rental wise, than it is.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:21 PM

149 posts, read 232,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
3k to 4k for a 1br is a big bump. You could go just about anywhere, including the West Side close to the beach.

If you're looking for upscale & walkable beachy vibe I'd gun for Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, certain parts of Venice...or if you prefer urban scene the South Park neighborhood in Downtown is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post
I think with a 4K budget you can pretty much decide on going anywhere for a 1Bed. So it becomes what your lifestyle is like. Do you want to be walking distance to the beach? Go Westside/Southbay. Walkability? Culver City or Hollywood? They're all different vibes so it's what fits you best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
If you are hooked on the beach, you have some great suggestions already. If being a little inland is ok, then check out Los Feliz, Silverlake and even South Pasadena. Los Feliz and Silverlake are in close proximity to Griffith Park, the Griffith Observatory, The Greek Theater, the Hollywood Bowl and have great freeway access. Once you develop local knowledge, getting to these from South Pasadena is easy. South Pas also offers easy access to downtown on the Gold Line.

This may be a shock to some, but I'm not a beach guy.

I simply require safety and close proximity to dining, shopping, etc.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
Quote:

That being the case, Los Feliz, Silverlake and South Pasadena really are worth your time to check out. You should be able to fight a really nice 1 bedroom in all 3 for 3k or under - pocket that additional 1k!
No matter where you end up, be certain you have off street parking and save yourself a big headache.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
Quote:

Silverlake, Loz Feliz, Pasadena along Colorado Blvd, Downtown, Culver City, Beverly Hills. Beverly Hills being less walkable but easy to get around.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM

240 posts, read 240,516 times
At your budget - you can choose lifestyle first. This is a very open ended question. There's nice things about lots of LA areas.

You could also do the SFV near Ventura Blvd. Or WeHo although there you're landlocked from a freeway more. Or Burbank if you want more midwest vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles