Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times

Advertisements

Glendale is fine, I have friends who live there. They are building a huge project downtown (the 'Americana'), much like the Grove that will bring even more people into town. The Alex Theatre is nice. Other than than, East Hollywood has GREAT Armenian food, if you dig that stuff (which I do). Never had any problems in Glendale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
...the question was about culture...
That is the thing about LA, because we are soooo diverse and there are so many people here, there really isnt a "culture". But Glendale really is Yerevan West because of the large number of Armenian's and Armenian businesses. I have always liked Glendale and I think you'll like it too.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,695 times
I enjoy Glendale. It's pretty quiet & safe. Nothing too big happens here.

I'm white and have never felt out of place, even with the huge Armenian population. Most are very nice people- just like every other culture.

They're extending the downtown area with a Grove like place. It seems like it will be nice. As of right now, there's not TOO much to do in Glendale, but it is right near Los Angeles & Hollywood.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseYourEyes View Post
I enjoy Glendale. It's pretty quiet & safe. Nothing too big happens here.

I'm white and have never felt out of place, even with the huge Armenian population. Most are very nice people- just like every other culture.

They're extending the downtown area with a Grove like place. It seems like it will be nice. As of right now, there's not TOO much to do in Glendale, but it is right near Los Angeles & Hollywood.
LOL, well, Armenians are about as 'white' as you can get.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM

44 posts, read 237,984 times
I respect Older Amenians, but the kids (males) are out of control. Ask any Glendale cop about the situation with the young Armenians and they'll tell you how violent some of these kids are. I have several Armenian friends that dislike going to Glendale becasue these young kids will start trouble. I remember being inside Conrads when a young Armenian punk tried punching a cop, what an idiot. Like I said, not all of them. Aren't Armenians considered Middle Eastern and not white? Not that I care.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
ya some armenians got a temper, but then again kids these days favor gun play and ganging up on someone rather than walking away or fighting one on on. it would be no different for polish kids, cuban kids, black kids, etc. kid these days...(shaking head) they dont think. a couple of months back some kid was beat and killed by a "gang" of armenians. violence exists in all peoples. sad state really.
but back to glendale, um even if they build that americana thing, i think only locals from glendale and burbank will show up. maybe those kids in the valley, but when i think of a night out i definitely am not thinking glendale!!! its usually down town or the east side. some hollywood, but never glendale. im sure its a matter of geography. if i lived in the valley maybe it would be exciting to visit downtown glendale. ajajaja. its more of a mayberry...with an armo twist.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
You know, I guess it's all on your perspective. A lot of LA is glitz and glamour -- that's what the Hollywood scene is all about. Downtown is about clubs and very high-end restaurants (even if the numbers are limited).

Glendale is, to me, about real people. It's average bars and restaurants where you can get a burger and a beer, a steak and a drink. It's not trendy, and it does not try to be trendy. It's more Midwestern/Northeastern in feel -- it has a walkable downtown with a heavy concentration of shopping, restaurants, and bars. It's not about $100 a plate restaurants, it's about a BJ's Microbrewery, an Outback (soon), and an Islands. It's about a downtown mall that has Nordstrom and Mervyn's -- two stores you'd rarely find in the same mall. It's about having Borders and Circuit City -- normally suburban big box stores -- in a comfortable urban setting.

Glendale is a city that functions as a city because it needs to. It's not about drawing tourists or trendy bars, it's about building a city and a city center to serve the people of the area. It has more in common with Providence, Rhode Island, than it does with much of L.A.

For some people, that's good, and a nice break from the glitzy scene of LA. For some, it's missing out on the LA experience.

I'm in the former group, I find it very comfortable. But to each his/her own.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:50 PM

44 posts, read 237,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya some armenians got a temper, but then again kids these days favor gun play and ganging up on someone rather than walking away or fighting one on on. it would be no different for polish kids, cuban kids, black kids, etc. kid these days...(shaking head) they dont think. a couple of months back some kid was beat and killed by a "gang" of armenians. violence exists in all peoples. sad state really.
but back to glendale, um even if they build that americana thing, i think only locals from glendale and burbank will show up. maybe those kids in the valley, but when i think of a night out i definitely am not thinking glendale!!! its usually down town or the east side. some hollywood, but never glendale. im sure its a matter of geography. if i lived in the valley maybe it would be exciting to visit downtown glendale. ajajaja. its more of a mayberry...with an armo twist.

I agree, it is kids in general, but for some reason the Armenian Kids are being raised to have everything they want without earning it. Yes I know you want to spoil your kids, but you need to show them the power of the dollar. My friend bought his son a new BMW coupe after he dropped out of high school. Come on, what is he showing him? On the other hand, his daughter that is currently going to school has to begg the older brother for the car. I don't see anything wrong with rewarding your kids when they deserve it. I'm way off topic now so back to Glendale. Yes, it is nice.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
you are right, they seem to have a lot of money. im sure there are poor armenians, but i always see them driving nice cars. and young kids too! but its the culture they have grown up with. i saw an episode of that real houswives show where a girl was talking about getting a new car, and how crashing your car was normal. that everyone crashes there new car! really? whatever car i have i will try to keep in good condition. i am not trying to crash my car. her "OC" rationale tho was that its a rite of passage to crash a car, and besides her dad would get her a new one! kids these days. but anyways back to glendale. yes, it is nice...for families

Old 04-30-2008, 02:43 PM

6 posts, read 16,029 times
Glendale is a nice, middle-class part of LA. It is not gang-infested like most of LA County, although like most places there is some crime. Crime statistics in Glendale are remarkably low however, considering the 200,000+ population of the city. I would credit three things for the low crime rate: 1) Most people in Glendale have money, there is a very low poverty rate in Glendale, 2) Armenians tend to be a very tight-knit and family-oriented community, which also cuts down on crime. 3) The Glendale Police Department does very good work.

That being said, North Glendale is better than South Glendale. As far as entertainment, the 2 malls (the Galleria and the Americana) are good for shopping, and Brand Blvd. has nice restaurants, movie theaters and shops. There are alot of Armenian people in Glendale (I am one), but it is also very multicultural, with a Persian, Latino, Asian, and African-American population as well.

As far as "being accepted", I doubt that would be a problem. There are some racist knuckleheads in Glendale, but considering all of the different ethnicities there, it's very peaceful. However, don't drive around with a Turkish flag on your car, or walk around yelling "the Genocide never happened!", I can't vouch for your safety then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles