Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There are a lot of more immediate reasons besides that not to live in the city of L.A. Like not wanting to be served by the LAUSD and LAPD, and actually wanting functional city services, and the overregulation/bureaucracy/red tape/coddling of the homeless/coddling of illegals/extreme leftist government etc.
yep, but that's not what this thread's about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Well it is a good thing we have mountains to run to. I hear that water does not like to go uphill.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I think Sandy was saying that the roads would be impeded, and I agree. Panicking people would get into accidents, especially with no power controlling intersections. Our major vehicular arteries would become parking lots.
That's why you plan as best you can.

I learned from Northridge, hope others did to. Lived in the Valley at the time, no power for 3 days, people sleeping in parks. As well as the 92 riots, live in Hollywood than.

I am sorry for what is going on in TX, but some of the people thinking they have to be told to evacuate or sittng around waiting for the govt. to save them in waist deep water....please.

You can rely on yourself and those who are close to you, that's about it.

I hope you and others keep water, canned goods, flashlights and a full tank of gas(although where you go).

Old 08-28-2017, 01:10 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Good thing I have a boat.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's why you plan as best you can.

I learned from Northridge, hope others did to. Lived in the Valley at the time, no power for 3 days, people sleeping in parks. As well as the 92 riots, live in Hollywood than.

I am sorry for what is going on in TX, but some of the people thinking they have to be told to evacuate or sittng around waiting for the govt. to save them in waist deep water....please.

You can rely on yourself and those who are close to you, that's about it.

I hope you and others keep water, canned goods, flashlights and a full tank of gas(although where you go).
I would add, keep cash available. As you said the power was out. Plastic does not work when the power goes out but cash never has a problem buying stuff.

I like what you wrote about staying prepared.

Something that we learned, maybe because of my Mormon heritage, is to always be prepared. Have at least a 3 day pack ready to go. Include food, water, clothes, personal products, medicine, a first aid kit, flash light, small radio, even copies of important documents, insurance paperwork, all stored in a three day kit.

At home we keep a two week kit that we could live with without power or running water. We have water stored for the two week period, food, camp stove, fire wood, and other items that could get us by for at least 2 weeks.

We have always tried to work on keeping a one year supply of food, although some would say that may be overboard. We are building it for ourselves, just in case. This has also been known to help out when someone has a job loss or maybe has health issues where they can not work. You can live without cable but I have heard you can't live without food or water.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:24 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The chance of us having a hurricane is zero unless it's the result of nuclear fallout after North Korea launches their nukes
Or a terrorist nuclear dirty bomb going off in DTLA.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:46 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Our only serious risk (unless you live in the woods) is an earthquake. The "nice" thing about earthquakes is that they are somewhat localized. In '94 my house in Woodland Hills was heavily damaged. No power for days, broken glass everywhere, frig tipped over with milk & beverages spilled everywhere, it was a mess. I called a housekeeping service in Long Beach and ordered 4 maids for a day. They cleaned the whole place up. Then I took me, my wife & baby to a hotel in Arcadia (far enough away so no after shocks). We would work on the house during daylight and then retreat to the hotel for the evening and a good night's sleep. We did that until the power came back on and it worked out fine.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 PM

243 posts, read 224,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Our only serious risk (unless you live in the woods) is an earthquake. The "nice" thing about earthquakes is that they are somewhat localized. In '94 my house in Woodland Hills was heavily damaged. No power for days, broken glass everywhere, frig tipped over with milk & beverages spilled everywhere, it was a mess. I called a housekeeping service in Long Beach and ordered 4 maids for a day. They cleaned the whole place up. Then I took me, my wife & baby to a hotel in Arcadia (far enough away so no after shocks). We would work on the house during daylight and then retreat to the hotel for the evening and a good night's sleep. We did that until the power came back on and it worked out fine.
Arcadia was far "enough" away?

Yes, while it is true that earthquakes tend to localized, I'm having a hard time believing that no aftershocks were felt in Arcadia... Arcadia is only 30 miles away from Northridge.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would add, keep cash available. As you said the power was out. Plastic does not work when the power goes out but cash never has a problem buying stuff.

I like what you wrote about staying prepared.

Something that we learned, maybe because of my Mormon heritage, is to always be prepared. Have at least a 3 day pack ready to go. Include food, water, clothes, personal products, medicine, a first aid kit, flash light, small radio, even copies of important documents, insurance paperwork, all stored in a three day kit.

At home we keep a two week kit that we could live with without power or running water. We have water stored for the two week period, food, camp stove, fire wood, and other items that could get us by for at least 2 weeks.

We have always tried to work on keeping a one year supply of food, although some would say that may be overboard. We are building it for ourselves, just in case. This has also been known to help out when someone has a job loss or maybe has health issues where they can not work. You can live without cable but I have heard you can't live without food or water.
Yes, have some cash on hand.

I'm amazed at people who have no cash on them or on hand...amazed. Try to mention that(and expecially those in their 20s and they look at you with that blank look in their eyes).

Don't assume you will be able to swipe your card....SMDH.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, have some cash on hand.

I'm amazed at people who have no cash on them or on hand...amazed. Try to mention that(and expecially those in their 20s and they look at you with that blank look in their eyes).

Don't assume you will be able to swipe your card....SMDH.
On the other hand would the cash register work without electricity? Would any mom and pop be manning a store during an evacuation event and not getting out of Dodge themselves? Or would the stores look like they did 25 years ago without the fires and light skinned people pulled out of their cars and assaulted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles