Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,468,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Sad but very true. And we are proposing building more services for them which will just free up the streets for more to come in. We wouldn't need to spend public money to build more homeless services if we pealed back some of the overregulation that stops free market builders from coming in and building more general population housing.

People complain about all the housing being built for the wealthy, but with the giant hurdles and costs developers face, what incentive do they have to build moderate priced housing?
Great points. There's so much bullchit when it comes to zoning and codes the red tape will kill you. I heard 2 guys on a radio station talking with some builders about these tiny homes. A home owner would have to pay 8k out of pocket just to stick a shovel in the dirt. That's for the paper work.

Another big problem is rent speculation. Our homeless problem is only going o get worse as the rates go up. Average people are rapidly being forced out onto the street. I see it everyday. I myself moved into my daughter's garage. I make enough for an apartment but I will not pay ridiculously high rents when I have a better option. I'll save my money and be prepared to help my daughter's if they ever need it and be prepared to take care of myself.

A lot of people don't have the options I have. This society needs to address the problems it creates and solve them. There is no will to do that so we all pay the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 09:07 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,564,152 times
This is indeed a huge problem. I'll admit that I voted against building housing for the homeless, because I could already see where it would go - nowhere. The NIMBYs don't want the formerly homeless living anywhere near them, and finding usable housing or space to build such housing for the 58,000+ homeless is a Herculean task.

Don't blame the LAPD or other law enforcement agencies. Blame the attorneys who went to court to "protect" the homeless. The result is that their belongings (and I use that term loosely) can't be confiscated. This leads to the piles of trash in shopping carts or just piled up by the side of the road - especially on Burbank Blvd. through the Sepulveda Basin.

A good start would be to build/open mental hospitals for the long term mentally ill - the ones who won't reliably take their medication, etc. However, this has to be on a federal level, so I don't see this happening for a very long time, if ever. Local efforts aren't enough, and they end up drawing the homeless from elsewhere so they can take advantage of the services and benefits.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:41 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,453,842 times
Mentally deranged homeless cretin? Really?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
:

Don't blame the LAPD or other law enforcement agencies. Blame the attorneys who went to court to "protect" the homeless. .
Why can't we blame both?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:38 PM

i don't think we should blame either. Homelessness is a symptom of a diseased society. Cops just try to minimize the damage and maintain order. Lawyers are doing their job too. Who do we blame? Politicians. A governement is supposed to build and regulate a society suitable for the creation of a good living standard of it's people. All of them.

Our politicians are not doing their job. Simple as that.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,501,407 times
People don't want homeless storage or public lots where they can live in their cars because they know homeless create more problems and crime than the non-homeless.
People pay a fortune to live in L.A and don't want to deal with all the homeless drama.

I do think the homeless issue needs to be a federal thing because the current Mayor and the rest of the politicians have just made the problem worse. As long as we have people that think giving out gift baskets to the homeless is going to solve the homeless issue nothing will change. How will gift baskets help the homeless not attack random people or expose themselves or litter all over the streets?
The same with calling criminals 'justice affected individuals' and lecturing citizens about thanking criminals for serving their time in jail.
The bleeding heart , virtue signaling stuff isn't working.

----
"To combat the city’s persistent and lingering homelessness crisis, Los Angeles needs to appoint a senior-level official who will lead the charge in getting facilities for the homeless built at a much faster pace, City Attorney Mike Feuer said Monday."

Feuer argued that each City Council district ought to have at least one facility built or made available, such as a place for the homeless to store their belongings, a private or public parking lot where people can live in their cars, or temporary housing. At the moment, there is just one storage facility serving the entire city, and the safe parking program has been slow to get started.

LA’s homeless crisis needs FEMA-like ‘field general,’ city attorney says – Daily News

Old 10-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Exactly. The general needs certain powers too. The power of eminent domain and the power to suspend certain civil rights. If we have to follow every little piece of minutea we'll never get anywhere. Like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles