Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 PM

944 posts, read 3,956,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm with Deeptrance on this one... If you can't speak english to me, then I don't care what country you came from, I'm going to ASSUME you're illegal until it can be proved otherwise.
Wait a minute, I disavow any connection to that last part of your post! I don't think that a person's language has anything to do with their legitimate right to be in the USA. There are many highly articulate English-speaking non-citizens breaking our laws, and many citizens who can't speak English.

Fastfilm, I got you to a brief moment of 543/543, gimme some love, man!

Yes, I think there's a difference between legal and illegal, but what does that have to do with anything I posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,608,581 times
My bad, my apology offered. I meant the meaning of the words "illegal" and "legal." I remember watching a TV panel of L.A. schoolkids telling their astounded moderator that they thought there was absolutely no difference whatsoever between a legal immigrant and an illegal one. Moderator asked what about the meaning of the words, if not the lawful and unlawful status implied, whereupon they repeated there was no difference whatsoever between someone here legally and illegally,they thought it didn't matter whether people broke laws here or not. That's the generation to which I referred. I shudder to think how they interpret the rest of our country's laws.

And you're dead right, marilyn, about fake documents. One of our activists tried to attract the attention of same to local law enforcement unsuccessfully. He then got, as evidence, "matricula consular" cards, with photos from magazines, of Governor Schwarzenegger, and himself as Mexican citizens, and a driver's license for Mayor Villaraigosa with the activist's own address on it. He said it took about an hour.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,034,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
many citizens who can't speak English.
What CITIZENS do you know of that can't be speak English? Isn't that a REQUIREMENT to becoming a CITIZEN (even thru marriage)?

Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 PM

411 posts, read 1,602,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
fastslim: Illegals are a problem everywhere. The government does not want to do anything serious about Illegal Immigration. Fact is both the GOP & DEMS are spineless.

Housing here is not expensive because of them most live in 1 or 2bdr apartments in the barrios. If they get lucky they move into a small house.

Housing here is expensive because they have plenty of people who can afford paying a million dollars for a 2,000sqft house.
Monte, wasn't there a ballot issue in 1994 when Pete Wilson was governor pertaining to illegals receiving free medical care, or free emergency services care? Not only was it voted in, but Pete Wilson was voted out. The citizenry of California now complains that the illegals are a drain on services. DUH!

CA is a beautiful state. I loved it. I'd have stayed but for the unfriendly economic climate for retirees.

A word to the wise - as an ex-Californio, no matter where one chooses to move the locals won't like you. They think Californians bring their problems with them and drive up prices. After reading some of the threads on the city-data- forum in other states, it's looking like everyone everywhere resents what 'outsiders' have done to their home towns. Some guy from Alaska was even complaining about how he can't get around on his dog sled because of all the no-tresspassing signs. Geez.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What CITIZENS do you know of that can't be speak English? Isn't that a REQUIREMENT to becoming a CITIZEN (even thru marriage)?
No, it isn't a requirement. There is no official language of the US, only of certain states that have passed their own laws.

Citizens I personally know who don't speak English? I don't. I'm sure they exist but cannot provide actual examples. But legally it's got nothing to do with citizenship, it merely HELPS with getting through the swearing-in process and integrating into the culture, etc.

I think it's unwise not to learn fluent English if one is going to:
1. live in an English-speaking nation on a long-term basis or
2. be engaged in international business with many nationalities

However, I don't think a person is doing something "wrong" by not learning English. It's their choice, they get to live with the consequences, just as most Americans get to live with the consequences of being monolingual. We're rare among the people of the world in that way.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:16 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,683,930 times
Quote:
You dislike immigrants and babies, apparently, and you imagine them to be the future downfall of a once great land.

Interesting. Wonder how the USA became wealthy in the first place...
where on earth did I say i disliked immigration and babies???? My gawd ....what a spin!!! I'm merely stating a fact that more people are leaving the great state of California than "moving" in. I guess maybe the babies are going to start getting loans now to buy a 600K shack???? Great news!!! They'll have more time to pay it off!!! lol

Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,683,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
fastslim: Illegals are a problem everywhere. The government does not want to do anything serious about Illegal Immigration. Fact is both the GOP & DEMS are spineless.

Housing here is not expensive because of them most live in 1 or 2bdr apartments in the barrios. If they get lucky they move into a small house.

Housing here is expensive because they have plenty of people who can afford paying a million dollars for a 2,000sqft house.
Plenty of people can afford a million dollar house in California? So thats why less than 10% can afford the median priced house.........makes no sense!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
where on earth did I say i disliked immigration and babies???? My gawd ....what a spin!!!
That was pretty bad wasn't it... I gave you a nice comment, check your user CP to see it.
Quote:
I'm merely stating a fact that more people are leaving the great state of California than "moving" in. I guess maybe the babies are going to start getting loans now to buy a 600K shack????
This is where I think you're missing the point I was so crudely making. Ambition, youth, immigrants --- these are sources of future wealth! Stale old populations of lazy white people who've grown accustomed to having everything handed to them on a silver platter, that is the biggest danger to the American economy. Many of the booming start-up companies in the USA today are owned by Indians, Chinese, Mexicans, and other immigrants. This is precisely the same process that BUILT America's wealth, except now we're having to do it on a more fair basis because we can't import slaves (just low-wage workers), and we are less able to control the natural resources of other nations (our corporations have transcended our borders and are the new de facto world government).

What makes California strong for the foreseeable future? These features:
1. Climate and environment --- people can't destroy the view of the mountains or the beautiful weather
2. It's in the USA, which still has the best legal system in the world for creating wealth and maintaining stability (we could spin off into a new topic about the dangers we face as some of our idealistic foundations are crumbling, but not right now...)
3. Waves --- locations have waves, patterns that ripple through time. You can find ancient cities in the middle east, Italy and Greece, where there is essentially the same pattern of prosperity and commerce that existed a thousand years ago. You cannot destroy what made California great. You can leave it, you can complain about how it's being "taken over" be illegal immigrants, but those people are going to be the ones who re-build whatever you think is crumbling.

I had more points but forgot them.
Quote:
Plenty of people can afford a million dollar house in California? So thats why less than 10% can afford the median priced house.........makes no sense!
What doesn't make sense is your insistence that California is overpriced. It's a market economy. Nobody is pointing a gun at you and forcing you to pay the market price there. If you think it's going to collapse, we'll just have to wait and see. Wish we could hook up back at this thread in 5 years...

Old 12-14-2006, 11:19 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,034,530 times
Quote:
No, it isn't a requirement. There is no official language of the US, only of certain states that have passed their own laws.

Citizens I personally know who don't speak English? I don't. I'm sure they exist but cannot provide actual examples. But legally it's got nothing to do with citizenship, it merely HELPS with getting through the swearing-in process and integrating into the culture, etc.

I think it's unwise not to learn fluent English if one is going to:
1. live in an English-speaking nation on a long-term basis or
2. be engaged in international business with many nationalities

However, I don't think a person is doing something "wrong" by not learning English. It's their choice, they get to live with the consequences, just as most Americans get to live with the consequences of being monolingual. We're rare among the people of the world in that way.
Okay, I agree with that.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,469,754 times
FOLKS MUST I REMIND YOU THE HOUSING BUBBLE IN CALIFORNIA IS COMING TO AN END...PRICES WILL GO DOWN...AND WHEN THEY DO PURCHASE YOUR HOUSE...AND WHEN THE BUBBLE COMES BACK UP SELL THAT BAD BOY...AINT THAT HARD FRIENDS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles