Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:05 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I know one young girl was killed by a stray bullet in the afternoon while she was sitting in a car waiting for the traffic light to change.
That happened at the corner of York and Avenue 64. Some scumbag saw one of his rivals driving by and opened fire, missed his target and hit the girl riding with her dad while they were waiting at the stop light. I happened to drive by with the whole family in the car about 15 minutes after it went down. Freaked us out to think that had we been on the road earlier it could have been us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 AM

304 posts, read 931,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillinVillan View Post
Hey Everyone,

I've been in CA for about 2 yrs. now, but I've been renting in Monrovia. Decent area, but I'm ready to get a bigger place that's closer to work. I found a house that's available for rent in the zip code of 90042, off of "Repton St.". Does anyone have any insight about this area, street, etc.? Or even if you have thoughts about living in Highland Park- what the atmosphere is like, etc. The rental is super cheap for a 3BR/2BA house and that's why I'm wondering if something is up with the area...
Thanks to everyone out there for even reading this thread!

ChillinVillan
I can only assume you are looking in HP because of relative low prices.
3 BR condos range from about 2000-3000 a month.

If I were shopping, I might aim for Eagle Rock (right between fabulous Glendale and Pasadena) and pay 2350 for a house to rent.

What is your range?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:03 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Hey, we are neighbors. The Hermon neighborhood has a very interesting history going back to the Free Methodists over 100 years ago. Arroyo News

I wish they grocery store on Monterey would open again, not a lot of other choices in the immediate area.

Did you live in the area when that market was King Food?
It has not been a successful market since King Food moved out.
I wish Super A would take it over.
It is a good location for a market, and the only reason no one has made a success of it since King Food is because each owner raises the prices on everything to where it made more sense to shop at Vons or Super A.
I heard talk a while back that Starbucks was going to be moving in to that shopping center,but then Cycleway coffee shop move in just up the street, and havn't heard any more about Starbucks moving in.
Bob.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Did you live in the area when that market was King Food?
It has not been a successful market since King Food moved out.
I wish Super A would take it over.
It is a good location for a market, and the only reason no one has made a success of it since King Food is because each owner raises the prices on everything to where it made more sense to shop at Vons or Super A.
I heard talk a while back that Starbucks was going to be moving in to that shopping center,but then Cycleway coffee shop move in just up the street, and havn't heard any more about Starbucks moving in.
Bob.
I'm not sure what the last 2 markets have been, not King Food. Last one was doomed to fail with no liquor license and I think the one before had similar issues. With all of the apartments up the hill in Monterey Hills plus the back side of South Pas and El Sereno it seems like the shopping center is in a good location.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:27 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
My dad went to Eagle Rock High as well AFTER having to leave Franklin.

I mention the Black Dahlia but don't know many details....just that the murders took place in the Highland Park area.

Sorry to get off topic.

Matt
Sorry, friend, but I'm not sure where you got your information on the Black Dahlia murder (not sure why you said "murders"), at least that of Elizabeth Short. Her torso was found in a vacant lot in Leimert Park:

Black Dahlia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The body of Elizabeth Short was found on January 15, 1947, in a vacant lot in Leimert Park, Los Angeles, severely mutilated, cut in two, and drained of blood. Her face was slashed from the corners of her mouth toward her ears, and she was posed with her hands over her head and her elbows bent at right angles.[1] The autopsy indicated she was 5′ 5″ and 115 pounds, with badly decayed teeth, light blue eyes and brown hair.[2]

Old 11-14-2009, 02:34 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Sorry, friend, but I'm not sure where you got your information on the Black Dahlia murder (not sure why you said "murders"), at least that of Elizabeth Short. Her torso was found in a vacant lot in Leimert Park:

Black Dahlia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The body of Elizabeth Short was found on January 15, 1947, in a vacant lot in Leimert Park, Los Angeles, severely mutilated, cut in two, and drained of blood. Her face was slashed from the corners of her mouth toward her ears, and she was posed with her hands over her head and her elbows bent at right angles.[1] The autopsy indicated she was 5′ 5″ and 115 pounds, with badly decayed teeth, light blue eyes and brown hair.[2]
I remember seeing books in the library about the Black Dahila....I will go check them out and see for myself.

By the way, I would not necessarily use Wikipedia as my sole source of information about anything. Perhaps we can start a new thread on this?

Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,799 times
I highly recommend the 1947 project website, which deals with all matters of crime, off-beat newsclips over the years, and bizarro Los Angeles history. Some really interesting stuff there. Even took one of the 'crime bus' tours they recommended and had a pretty interesting time down Main Street, checking out various sites. Site also recommends some great noir films, and books about L.A. history.

1947project | Los Angeles De-Mythified

Old 11-16-2009, 02:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
It's KNOWN as a rough area, and the scene for the Black Dahlia
Nope, Liemert Park.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Nope, Liemert Park.
Not sure where I got Highland Park from, then, but I still want to read the full story.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM

422 posts, read 1,818,617 times
Here's a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles