Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
And, yes, there are English-language call centers in Latin America, most notably Costa Rica. That country is an exception with the highest literacy rate in Central America. It has no military and thus affords more money on its people. As a result, Costa Ricans stay in Costa Rica. It even attracts a high number of American and European ex-pats -- who avail themselves of the social welfare system there. All over Costa Rica, even in rural villages, you hear people learning English.
There are Costa Ricans living in L.A., though. I knew this mixed race Costa Rican girl who moved to the US because of discrimination against Costa Rican blacks and mixed race people with visibly African features, and she said there are others who have moved for that reason. BTW, although Costa Rica is in Central America, Costa Ricans (and Panamanians) prefer to identify with the Hispanic Caribbean more than Central America, and if one looks at the more "indigenous" countries in Central America (El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua) one can see why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 09:29 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,337 times
and even if they were settling down to LIVE there, i think that is just as wrong as mexicans moving in and not learning english. I am no hypocrite when it comes to this point. For american to live in another country and not learn the language is just as horrible in my book, and self centered, and i hate it just as much.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:19 PM

355 posts, read 842,647 times
Why do most states require/suggest foreign language acquisition in secondary schools if English is such an end all-be all? Perhaps its because we live in a global economy and there will inevitably come a time when English will no longer be the language of commerce, trade, and diplomacy (French has been the de facto language in most parts of the Eastern Hemisphere). Americans passing English-only legislation will not deter such an evolution nor will it preserve the prominence of English at the international level.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Why do most states require/suggest foreign language acquisition in secondary schools if English is such an end all-be all? Perhaps its because we live in a global economy and there will inevitably come a time when English will no longer be the language of commerce, trade, and diplomacy (French has been the de facto language in most parts of the Eastern Hemisphere). Americans passing English-only legislation will not deter such an evolution nor will it preserve the prominence of English at the international level.
Amavel, I agree with your points. However, the difference between our points is being multi-lingual or single-lingual. I don't think anyone is trying to desparage Americans becoming multi-lingual. No one is saying that foriegn languages are pointless. Most of us are tired of those who live in U.S. and won't speak any English.

Yes, It is at great economic advantage to the World for Americans to be multi-lingual. It is also a huge advantage if those illegals here, spoke English.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 PM

82 posts, read 522,172 times
Default Only English back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Does anyone feel its rediculous that cities are passing English only ordinances?

The government created this problem by catering to Hispanic Immigrants and now they are angry so they are passing this English only stuff.

Fact is, language unites and when the government pushes a 2 language society than our society stops being the melting pot of cultures.

Now that government realized what they did, they say we are angry we only want English only.

1/2 of my t.v. stations are in spanish, everywhere i go i hear/see spanish why would anyone assimilate if they did not need to learn English.

I am an Immigrant and I learned English because it was necessary for me, I assimilated into the culture and love America.
I started growing up in El Sereno and Highland Park in L.A. in the early 1950s. From day one, Mexicans were my neighbors, best friends, classmates and my first date. Back then Mexicans only spoke English, even in their homes. I didn't learn a word of Spanish until I took the required class in Jr. High school in 1960.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes
here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an
outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or
birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming
in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be
no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but
something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and
that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole
loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
--Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Divided we Fall.
MBG

Old 04-18-2007, 02:47 PM

82 posts, read 522,172 times
Default Teddy Roosevelt on Immigration in 1907

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or
origin.
But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.
We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

~Theodore Roosevelt - 1907~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles