Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Article from today

Valley home prices have never been higher, and housing has never been more scarce. Here’s why

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/22...rce-heres-why/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:27 PM

67 posts, read 109,011 times
Mortgage interest rates are rising. Any idea if it will have significant effect on the market?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 PM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
In SD I've noticed the good properties still go within a week (ocean view, good locations, etc). There's definitely still a lot of money out there and people willing to pay for the desirable properties. The ones that sit are either grossly overpriced or in a bad location. If things are priced at market value though, they are still moving.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:22 PM

183 posts, read 207,175 times
Interest rates continue to be historically low, so it is still a good time to lock a mortgage. My Dad reminded told me his first mortgage interest rate was in the teens (~14%) during the Ronald Reagan Era, when people considered houses to be guaranteed appreciating investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post
Mortgage interest rates are rising. Any idea if it will have significant effect on the market?
I don't think the market has peaked and I feel it will continue to grow into 2018. As long as the rich get richer and there are no restrictions to foreign investors, local market values will continue to grow. I say this when I compare property values across the world, not just in the US.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 AM

335 posts, read 356,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post
Interest rates are still lower than 2004 - 2010. It's still a good time to buy.

My dad was paying 12% interest on our home in the 80s.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Interest rates are still lower than 2004 - 2010. It's still a good time to buy.

My dad was paying 12% interest on our home in the 80s.

It might be a good time to buy but not many in CA can afford to buy. My friend is thinking of buying a investment property in NV.... now that'd be smart

Old 01-26-2018, 11:26 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0D0 View Post
Yes, buying investment property in NV at peak of the market is genius. Nevada real estate didn't get destroyed during the downturn at all.

at least she could afford to buy something there and what makes you think this is the peak?? If this is a peak buying in Ca isn't to bright either. We were second to NV in the recession

Old 01-26-2018, 11:57 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
I'd look in San Bernadino or Riverside counties for an investment property before Nevada. They are areas that were much slower to improve than other parts of the greater LA area, so prices are still considerably lower and affordable, but it is now starting to rapidly appreciate, between 12-24 % last year depending on the area.

There seem to be a lot of jobs in or coming to the area, with a steady demand for housing. Both renters and buyers are going further out as they get priced out of closer areas.

As always, you'd want to pick your location with care, but it would be much easier to manage than a property that's in another state.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:11 PM

240 posts, read 240,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0D0 View Post
The states that were absolutely crushed by the mortgage crisis were NV and FL. Core CA areas actually performed the best in the downturn and recovered extremely quickly.

Just curious, how much have you invested in the last 12 months in real estate? My shop put out about $100 MM in 2017 all of it in CA & WA. At this point of the cycle you couldn't pay me to put money into NV. This is when you want to derisk your portfolio, not the reverse. But I am sure you are definitely a real estate expert and can evaluate what is a "smart" investment and the advice you give your friend will be invaluable.
Okay K0D0, I'll bite (not that I disagree with you because I think you're right)... but what is your shop investing in right now?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 PM

427 posts, read 368,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
I'd look in San Bernadino or Riverside counties for an investment property before Nevada. They are areas that were much slower to improve than other parts of the greater LA area, so prices are still considerably lower and affordable, but it is now starting to rapidly appreciate, between 12-24 % last year depending on the area.

There seem to be a lot of jobs in or coming to the area, with a steady demand for housing. Both renters and buyers are going further out as they get priced out of closer areas.

As always, you'd want to pick your location with care, but it would be much easier to manage than a property that's in another state.
The Inland Empire used to be Fontana, now it's Beaumont and Menifee, as people realize settling for something relatively close to L.A. (Fontana) is better than a mega commute.

Plus, the I-15 area has a ton more to offer than it did 15 years ago. Victoria Gardens, Ontario Mills, and Citizens Business Bank Arena are not Los Angeles proper amenities, but they are something that 35+ people are able to be happy with, similar to most other major metros but still with good weather (compared to U.S.) although an also comparable high cost of living.

Another difference the last 10 years, the Inland Empire warehouse explosion. Massive employment that didn't exist 10 years ago, now exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles