Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 2,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
If you aren't really into nightlife and don't necessarily care to be by the ocean, I'd look into the Valley or adjacent suburbs. On the west side especially, you pay a premium for ocean proximity and nightlife/other amenities, so if you don't care about those things, you'd just be throwing money away to live in a small, older place that's super expensive.

Glendale is a good option because in and around downtown, you have grocery stores, good eats, a nice shopping center, and places likes Target and Costco all within close distance. Plus, it's a safe city and close to downtown LA and other happening areas. Plus, there has been a lot of new apartment construction in the last several years.

Pasadena and Burbank could also be good options where there are still things to do, but your dollar will stretch a little longer for housing compared to some core areas of LA. And if you end up working in downtown LA, the commute isn't too bad.

In the Valley, Sherman Oaks and Studio City are other potential options. Plus, if you work downtown, you can take the red line metro from North Hollywood or Studio City.

My advice is to first see where you're going to work and then decide on the neighborhood. Not sure if you're thinking of taking Uber to work, but if you end up having to commute at least 45 minutes each way and travel at least 10 miles, you're going to be spending at least $40/day on getting to and from work. Nevertheless, there are various metro and bus options, which are relatively inexpensive.
Thanks so much for the advice. Some people are just being obnoxious so I really appreciate you taking the time to give me a sincere response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 2,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
You ask " Where are fairly safe neighborhoods with a grocery store, Target, etc. near by? Does that even exist in LA?" Such a ridiculous and uninformed comment.
I've lived in cities all over the country and suburbs with shopping centers don't exist everywhere...hence the question since I've never lived in LA. Thanks for not being helpful at all. Try not to take questions so personal next time.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:56 PM

665 posts, read 615,627 times
OP,

The honest answer is it depends on where you want to live and where you will be work. Ideally, you would want to be as close to work as possible and still be comfortable. If you have any free time, I would recommend a trip down here to see what things are like and how you feel in different neighborhoods.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:26 PM

262 posts, read 203,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Just out of curiosity, how can you afford $2700 a month rent but not a car?
Everyone doesn’t like the idea of driving. Especially if they’re from the Bay Area. It’s actually normal there to NOT have a car

Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,051,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
Everyone doesn’t like the idea of driving. Especially if they’re from the Bay Area. It’s actually normal there to NOT have a car

Huh??? Traffic in many parts of the Bay Area is now on par with LA. There are LOTS of cars on the roads in the Bay Area. There are far more people who drive than people who take public transportation.

I'm a lifelong Bay Area resident. I'm not sure where you got your information from, because NOT having a car is actually the exception and definitely not the rule.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,020,902 times
I personally would love to get rid of my car and just use Uber/Lyft to get around. My 7-year old car is only costing me about $250/mo at this point so I’m not sure it’s worth it. I work from home and it just feels like such a waste when I only drive it about once per week primarily to go grocery shopping...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles