Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 2,778 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to LA from the East Bay/San Francisco area. My budget is $2500-$2700/month for a one bedroom in the city. If I move further out to the suburbs I would like a two bedroom since my money should go farther. My office may or may not be located downtown. They haven't told me for sure yet. I don't really care about the commute. I Uber and take the subway everywhere. Safety and convenience once I get home are my priority. Where are fairly safe neighborhoods with a grocery store, Target, etc. near by? Does that even exist in LA? I'm moving without a car so initially I need things to be pretty close until I can afford to buy one. I don't really hang out at bars so I'm not looking for night life. I just want a safe and clean building. LA is huge and I don't know where to start. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 03:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,376 times
I'd look on the westside, somewhere around Santa Monica, Mar Vista, Culver City, West LA. With your budget, you can definitely get a 1 bedroom, and you can probably get a reasonable 2 bedroom in some of those places. Generally fairly clean and safe, close to the Expo line, buses and freeways. Some pockets are better served than others in terms of grocery stores, etc, but in most of those areas you should be able to find something within walking distance to a Ralphs, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. Culver City may give you the best overall combination of what you are looking for.

You should care about the commute, because it can mean the difference between enjoying what LA has to offer and enduring it. Look for something within walking distance of the Expo line, which starts in Santa Monica and takes you through Culver City to downtown.

I'd stay away from Downtown LA and Venice. You can be safe in those places, but there are definitely issues.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:35 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Just out of curiosity, how can you afford $2700 a month rent but not a car?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:42 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You SHOULD care about the commute. Even an Uber is going to have to deal with traffic, they don't fly.
But so many threads start out that way...I guess it makes it more fun or something.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
If you aren't really into nightlife and don't necessarily care to be by the ocean, I'd look into the Valley or adjacent suburbs. On the west side especially, you pay a premium for ocean proximity and nightlife/other amenities, so if you don't care about those things, you'd just be throwing money away to live in a small, older place that's super expensive.

Glendale is a good option because in and around downtown, you have grocery stores, good eats, a nice shopping center, and places likes Target and Costco all within close distance. Plus, it's a safe city and close to downtown LA and other happening areas. Plus, there has been a lot of new apartment construction in the last several years.

Pasadena and Burbank could also be good options where there are still things to do, but your dollar will stretch a little longer for housing compared to some core areas of LA. And if you end up working in downtown LA, the commute isn't too bad.

In the Valley, Sherman Oaks and Studio City are other potential options. Plus, if you work downtown, you can take the red line metro from North Hollywood or Studio City.

My advice is to first see where you're going to work and then decide on the neighborhood. Not sure if you're thinking of taking Uber to work, but if you end up having to commute at least 45 minutes each way and travel at least 10 miles, you're going to be spending at least $40/day on getting to and from work. Nevertheless, there are various metro and bus options, which are relatively inexpensive.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:39 PM

53 posts, read 50,966 times
A one bedroom what? That is a pretty decent budget to work with. Its nuts here, but not that nuts.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:26 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldybg View Post
I'm relocating to LA from the East Bay/San Francisco area. My budget is $2500-$2700/month for a one bedroom in the city. If I move further out to the suburbs I would like a two bedroom since my money should go farther. My office may or may not be located downtown. They haven't told me for sure yet. I don't really care about the commute. I Uber and take the subway everywhere. Safety and convenience once I get home are my priority. Where are fairly safe neighborhoods with a grocery store, Target, etc. near by? Does that even exist in LA? I'm moving without a car so initially I need things to be pretty close until I can afford to buy one. I don't really hang out at bars so I'm not looking for night life. I just want a safe and clean building. LA is huge and I don't know where to start. Thanks for your help.
You ask " Where are fairly safe neighborhoods with a grocery store, Target, etc. near by? Does that even exist in LA?" Such a ridiculous and uninformed comment.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I'm a Bay Area native who's lived previously in Southern California for 20 years. One of the cities I lived in that I would recommend is South Pasadena. Safe, centrally located and it has a Gold Line (light rail) stop. Shopping & restaurants are in town. The city has a quaint, small town atmosphere and is commutable to Downtown.
The rents should fit into your budget. The nicest side is the east side towards San Marino, although there are no bad areas of town.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I'm a Bay Area native who's lived previously in Southern California for 20 years. One of the cities I lived in that I would recommend is South Pasadena. Safe, centrally located and it has a Gold Line (light rail) stop. Shopping & restaurants are in town. The city has a quaint, small town atmosphere and is commutable to Downtown.
The rents should fit into your budget. The nicest side is the east side towards San Marino, although there are no bad areas of town.
South Pasadena is a gem and so close to DTLA and Dodger Stadium.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 2,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Just out of curiosity, how can you afford $2700 a month rent but not a car?
Because car notes and insurance cost money. If I buy a car I'm looking at another $500-$600 in expenses. I'm not rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles