Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
It concerns me because if I sell everything and move off to have a new adventure, but then said adventure becomes a nightmare, how will I ever afford to come back? And in the end, who can ever say how things will go...
You just put my fears into words. I've lived in So-Cal my entire life, and although I definitely don't want to die without having lived somewhere else, it's scary to think of moving. I couldn't afford to come back here, either! When I move, I have to move out of L.A. Comparable rents in my area are $400 more than what I pay now (thanks to rent control). Hopefully I wouldn't want to come back, but if I did...!

Even though I'm going to do a lot of very careful research before I move elsewhere, when I do make that leap it's going to feel as if I'm jumping off my roof without a net below to catch me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,023 times
We left Southern CA for Boston almost 7 years ago. While we like where we live, CA will always be home to us. We have periodically toyed with the idea of moving back. The main reason would be for family. Everyone else is in CA, and we get awfully lonely here in MA, especailly during the Holidays. One thing I will never regret though is moving. Living in another part of the country has been a great educational and cultural experience!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:46 PM

18 posts, read 67,604 times
Default get me out of here

I really dont want to offend anyone, but at the same time I had to comment....I moved here (SoCal) 6 months ago....I gave it a fair shot...really. I tried to look at the positives....but I cant wait to get out....leavin next week...I would rather cover myself in Avon skin so soft (mild bug repellant) then be here another day.....I hate bugs...but this place is the loneliest, rudest, expensive, snotty, mixed up values place I have ever been...talk about extreme......Sorry....I know I have met (individually) some nice people, but collectively I cried for the first four months nearly everyday......

Last edited by brandilinn1117; 12-12-2006 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM

18 posts, read 67,604 times
Want to add...the historical perspective. i keep seeing Boston mentioned...never been there, but the rest of the country has so much quaint charm to it...until the Californians (at least that is what they say) move in a build strip malls....I love the downtowns the other places offer....please go see one...the moms and pops stores....the old houses with architectural elements....please check it out....

Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilinn1117 View Post
Want to add...the historical perspective. i keep seeing Boston mentioned...never been there, but the rest of the country has so much quaint charm to it...until the Californians (at least that is what they say) move in a build strip malls....I love the downtowns the other places offer....please go see one...the moms and pops stores....the old houses with architectural elements....please check it out....

Many sections (primarily Southern California) are very pro-business, pro-real estate, and pro-development. [besides taxes] We lack common values and common high education levels. Boston has a highly educated workforce and a lower percentage of foreign-born people. It is surrounded by excellent grade schools, and the nation's best colleges.

"downtown?" Much of California, and CA developers think "alternatively," at best. I think developers often try to deviate from the norm and correct the problems of the east coast. Unfortunately, the idea of sprawl wasn't as much as an idea as a requirement. We can not build such dense urban cores. We can not do those tall buildings. We do not have the same rock beneath CA's buildings, as you do in Boston or Baltimore. We are in earthquake territory, and our tall buildings can/will fall over. That is just a negative of California.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 12-12-2006 at 09:20 PM..

Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilinn1117 View Post
I really dont want to offend anyone, but at the same time I had to comment....I moved here (SoCal) 6 months ago....I gave it a fair shot...really. I tried to look at the positives....but I cant wait to get out....leavin next week...I would rather cover myself in Avon skin so soft (mild bug repellant) then be here another day.....I hate bugs...but this place is the loneliest, rudest, expensive, snotty, mixed up values place I have ever been...talk about extreme......Sorry....I know I have met (individually) some nice people, but collectively I cried for the first four months nearly everyday......

You are a smart, sensitive person. Southern California doesn't deserve you. I am happy you got it quick and clearly and now you won't have this brick on your back like many of us do. It is like a love/hate relationship, one is scared to leave, because they aren't sure they can come back if they make a mistake (there are no mistakes!). Good for you. Wish I could have been so clear in my arrival. But that sun was a shinin' . . .

Old 12-13-2006, 12:18 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
We live on a beautiful street lined with historic homes, which we are fortunate enough to own two of. We are one block off the water, although this is a dubious benefit in that I would never actually get in the water. That said, in the middle of the other night, I heard noises, and when I went to the window to see what was up, there were several hispanic gentleman stripping a neighbors car - to the point that they even had it up on blocks! I find these kind of things happening here lately to the point that I almost am not even shocked any more. I would love to live in a little town where I could let the kids ride their bikes down the street without having to watch them. Is there a place out there that can be all that I am looking for - who knows? I can tell from reading the boards for other states that no place is without their problems. But, is CA the best case scenario?

There are a lot of great things to say about "here" other then the weather, although that certainly cannot be over stated. I guess it is just the general laid back atmosphere that I fear I will not find anywhere else. It concerns me because if I sell everything and move off to have a new adventure, but then said adventure becomes a nightmare, how will I ever afford to come back? And in the end, who can ever say how things will go...
Why not exchange one of your two houses for a house or condo somewhere else? That way, you can have your "adventure" and still have a home in California to return to.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:33 AM

20 posts, read 183,902 times
Just wanted to give my 2 bits. I've been married 2yrs. My husband works for a company where if you can relocate you're promotable. We have really taken advantage of that. So far we have lived in about six different cities. I'd have to say coming from California (22yrs. there) seeing how other states live was refreshing, and I wouldn't give up my experiences for anything. I must say my favorite and most missed state is MONTANA...oh what a beauty! Doesn't matter where you go, you should not be afraid to make a change. Its not hard to pick up and leave. . . You can buy a house almost as easily as you can sell it. People act like its the end of the world when considering to move out of California. California will still be here if you want to come back. We are back in Cali right now...only to be closer to family! If it wasn't for family I'd leave in a heartbeat, anywhere! You can live wherever you want. . . its not that hard.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Left Cali 7 years ago and never going back (well except for my quarterly visits). My lifestyle is just too good here in Texas to go back to that grind and expense. It's my home and I miss it.....but I'd rather have my early retirement. I can visit anytime and get my "fix".

Old 12-13-2006, 09:57 AM

217 posts, read 670,986 times
I know some who moved from L.A. to San Antonio for the better cost of living, only to return after six months because of the "Texas" factor. They found all of the Texas stereotypes to be true, and ran like crazy to get back out. They can not afford CA, but at least they will die in a place where they are not squeezed by the Texan hick mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles