Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times

Advertisements

yes that is skid row, but skid row is where most of you will never if ever end up. maybe if you work down in services or hand out sandwhiches and such. but to try to make people beleive that that is part of the resurging DT is ludcrous. this is the neglected part of DT! i love how in one of them "skid row" clips they show some tents and crackheads then they show a shot that was probably took from right in front of the pantry. please go to 9th and fig and see if it looks like that. on the video link posted here you can clearly see that (when they are waiting at the red light) they are at san pedro. thats skid row alright. but thats the edge of downtown. most of you will never be west of main. and san pedro is blocks off that. its a little sensationalist if you ask me. to try and connect what happens in SR to the rest of DT.
if their intent is to juxtapose rampant rehabilitation of downtown with rampant crack-headery in order to remind everyone willing to listen that this new plan for downtown is lop sided and unbalanced and definitely not in favor of SR, then they still didnt do that. some getto music along with some stream of conscious rant from a hype does not tell me enough about the problem that exists in DT. but i understand. the rehab of DT is slow and it will be years before it reaches SR. thats not the priority. i get that. not from these videos, but i get it. anyhow, all yall aint gunna be close to this place so dont worry, just stay west of main and you will be fine.

and 155 west 5th is west of main. most of those former grand hotels turned SRO's turned glamour are now full of lofties and DT newcomers. the alexandria still has some of its long time tenants, but now its promoted as an economic alternative for those euro tourists who want to stay in DT.

you will not be in skid row if you live at 155 5th. of course walk some blocks to san pedro and SAS!!!! youre in it. but now you know what to avoid, dont say i didnt warn you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:03 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,320 times
Hipsters are getting more and more brave I tell ya

The other day, I saw some lofts near the 6th street bridge. The hipsters, complete with trendy dogs, vnecks, aviator shades and expensive-yet crappy lattes really contrasted with the gritty abandoned buildings above them.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:08 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
I think the L.A. tourist board is working overtime on this forum. I was just at Fig and 7th (at figurative gunpoint) and for the life of me I couldn't begin to fathom walking there at night. It was still just as dirty and nasty as I remember.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,697 times
I put your rental address into http://www.lapdcrimaps.org (broken link) and found am inordinate amount of violent robberies and aggravated assaults, as opposed to, say, my much maligned area of the Valley which shows theft of property from vehicle as the major problem.

jakehorror, I would suggest you get to be friends with this link, and check out the areas you think you might live with it. You'll need a zip code every time.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,535 times
Thanks to everyone on here. Useful advice as always. This is exactly why I posted this thread, to hear the TRUTH about this particular area. I don't want any "sugarcoating/bs", just the truth of what you see in that area. The negatives have far outweighed the positives, and also the LAPD kept it quick & simple: He says, "Don't go there." I said thanks and hung up.
My friend who lives in Hollywood (Cherokee st. 90038) has a nice place and it's not too ungodly expensive. We walk around at night all the time and have no problems. I feel somewhat safe there. The skid row videos were just depressing. I don't plan on being homeless because I work hard to earn my keep. For the record; I would move back to podunk Indiana before I'd be part of the skid row population. Thanks for all your advice everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: