Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Yeah Inglewood still has gangs and killings

Some recent examples .

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/03/...home-invasion/

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...477357343.html

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/03/...-in-inglewood/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 04:16 PM

335 posts, read 356,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
People with 750 credit scores making 60K + will probably look to nicer areas.
We make significantly more than $60k and bought a house in South LA & Inglewood boarder a year ago. It's been a great investment.

The great thing about this area that people don't seem to notice is that we are literally 20 minutes from everything in LA. We are a $15 uber ride from Downtown LA, South Bay, LAX, West Hollywood and the Westside.

We have a huge backyard for the pup and a 3bed/2ba home that is 1100 sq. ft.

Will it every be as cool as the westside? Probably not. But, buyers should definitely consider this area when looking around LA for a home.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:03 PM

176 posts, read 177,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan80 View Post
Are there still gangs? I really don't think gangs have much if any presence in that area these days...
Do you even live in Los Angeles? Price point has no bearing on criminal presence.

Most neighborhoods have at least a some gang activity. Just take a look at the graffiti plastered up everywhere even in million-dollar neighborhoods.

The only difference is the more expensive the real estate is, the quicker the graffiti gets cleaned off

Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See what I mean. Still way too much dysfunction and mayhem for the housing prices there. Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
We make significantly more than $60k and bought a house in South LA & Inglewood boarder a year ago. It's been a great investment.

The great thing about this area that people don't seem to notice is that we are literally 20 minutes from everything in LA. We are a $15 uber ride from Downtown LA, South Bay, LAX, West Hollywood and the Westside.

We have a huge backyard for the pup and a 3bed/2ba home that is 1100 sq. ft.

Will it every be as cool as the westside? Probably not. But, buyers should definitely consider this area when looking around LA for a home.
You continue to try to justify buying that house, but In spite of what you might have paid for housing, that neighborhood is still an area where 21% of the households live below the poverty line. And most likely, another 30% is right at the poverty line if not more. ANd thats just the legal citizens we know about. Numbers like that usually bring about alot of quality of life issues. No thanks. Look at the articles osted by Jim above. That's fairly recent violent theater, and not even coming to a town near you.........you're already in that town

Also

1)I was using 60K as a baseline for a middle class person with no kids. I'm aware you make more, but arent you personally almost on the verge of quitting or losing your job which will turn living situation into a wreck? You probably couln't move now even if you wanted to.

2)You name these things as if its so great. Living close to Downtown ain't that special, unless you work there, or you plan to attend like 20 Laker games and 10 concerts a year. Besides, LA County has MANY downtown type areas which are much better. And living close to the airport is not that great unless you leave town on business often or are alwyas visiting family. There tends to be more congestion and the annoyance of planes constantly overhead. The same applies to Atlanta,...the housing by the major airport is cheaper, but those neighborhoods are terrible.

Just curious, Do you plan to send your kids to the Inglewood school district or nearby LAUSD school public school?

And how can you say it's been a great investment? If you sold now, with the prices rising everytwhere, could you actually move into a nicer neighborhood? I'm sure Hancock Park prices haven't stayed stagnant while only Inglewood's has gone up.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:15 PM

83 posts, read 122,354 times
[QUOTE}

And how can you say it's been a great investment? If you sold now, with the prices rising everytwhere, could you actually move into a nicer neighborhood? I'm sure Hancock Park prices haven't stayed stagnant while only Inglewood's has gone up.[/quote]

Because he still made more than the suckers who keep renting.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan80 View Post
[QUOTE}

And how can you say it's been a great investment? If you sold now, with the prices rising everytwhere, could you actually move into a nicer neighborhood? I'm sure Hancock Park prices haven't stayed stagnant while only Inglewood's has gone up.
Because he still made more than the suckers who keep renting.[/quote]

You don’t really make the money until you sell though . Also should figure on about 10 percent of sale price due to realtor commission , closing /transaction costs and the other expenses to get the house ready to sell might need to repaint , stage home etc .

Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Because he still made more than the suckers who keep renting.
You don’t really make the money until you sell though . Also should figure on about 10 percent of sale price due to realtor commission , closing /transaction costs and the other expenses to get the house ready to sell might need to repaint , stage home etc .[/quote]

Not to mention I am sure whoever is renting over there, their rent is cheaper than his mortgage. Not to mention his down payment. amd like you said.....he has to SELL it first.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 AM

One thing also is that South L.A went down a lot the last housing crash . It wasn’t uncommon for homes to go down 50 % . Next housing downturn probably won’t be as severe most likely but there is more risk in these areas during a downturn .
Many people might of paid little for their homes if they bought a long time ago but home equity loans are also on the rise in country .
—-
HELOC origination volumes shot up 18% from just a quarter ago, and 14% from the same period last year.

Putting home equity to work is the name of the game in the 2018 housing market — both for current homeowners as well as homebuyers," Daren Blomquist, senior vice president at Attom, said in a press release.

https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com...ocs-shot-up-18

Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Its stiil gonna take a TON of middle class people daring enough to buy over there. Many folks who have been apart of generational poverty still ive there when the houses cost 100k. There is is still a significant gang prescence, schools are awful, and as I've mentioned before, the apartments in the area tend to have very low standards. People with 750 credit scores making 60K + will probably look to nicer areas.

I do like the fact that higher class of citizens are filling up the area, I'd just rather already live in an area that's good to go. If I still have to ask "is this a red or blue area", that's a problem to me
Even at the height of the gang wars in LA, Inglewood wasn't as bad as Compton, The Jungles, or South-Central LA. Today, there are hardly any gangs left. Victor Avenue is one of the main streets for NW Inglewood and use to be littered with various Blood sets. They're all gone now after gang injunctions. There is still some BS that goes on in the southern part of Inglewood here and there. Most people buying their homes in the city are buying in the Northwest side closer to Centinela and Ladera Heights. There are a couple of new apartment complexes in the 3-5 story range being built in this part too.

I was at a friend's house there not too long ago and a Chinese-American investor from Irvine was leaving door flyers advertising his residential business and asking if anyone would like their condo bought.

Quote:
The last one you posted is from a murder back in 2009. Not only that but all three happened in the same general area in south Inglewood, which I mentioned before as being the only sketchy part of the city. New people aren't moving in there. New residents are staying north of Florence. Once DT Inglewood redevelops, it'll push more gentrification that way. Regardless, these things don't happen nearly as often as before. Crime stats back that up.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:53 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Probably best to start buying in Watts before it gets hot . As long as gentrification and prices keep going up seem it’s a matter of time .

Also East L.A
Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles