Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 PM

92 posts, read 164,699 times

Advertisements

2014 was my first time visiting Los Angeles, been in love with it ever since. Fast forward to March 2018 I'm now a resident. First off what they say is true traffic is a nightmare and living cost is very expense (housing). I live in East Hollywood near Santa Monica and Western its an upcoming area not too bad for my first place in LA. There is a ton or things to do here if you feel like sitting in traffic..lol Coming from the east coast most people here cant drive at all. My company car was hit and my personal car was hit none of the accidents were my fault just people not paying attention.

Food is great depending on what you are in the mood for everything is TACOS and BURRITOS, I like seafood
I'm 30 I would like to buy a house one day but geesh I would have to be a millionaire..seriously
Weather is great like 90% of the time, but that marine layer comes over the city often but eventually clears
Some people are nice but most come off kinda rude IMO, but I don't let it get to me
I love hiking at Griffith Park and Runyon after work and the weekends really nice views

I'm still learning my way around and learning Los Angeles but overall it has been an interesting experience thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
You can WALK to many restaurants(all kinds) and different venues right in your area. You need to get out and explore some.

There is no reason you have to drive, you can walk up to Sunset and Vermont and there are tons of places as you're at the start of Los Feliz.

I have always found the drivers here for the most part to be pretty good, much better than the east coast. You have had two accidents in 3 months? Hmmm...

Anyway, start walking, you have many choices within blocks of you.

Welcome to LA.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
I would also add that you happened to time your move to LA just when the May gray June gloom marine layer is at it's most potent. It isn't like this all year, but early summer it's more consistent.

IMO people in LA are pretty chill. If you want rude, try Miami.

Drivers here are reasonable. Again, you wante bad drivers...Miami.

You are near a metro line, you could also use that to get around if driving isn't your thing here.

Give an update at the end of the year to see how you feel then. Enjoy.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:48 AM

351 posts, read 341,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I would also add that you happened to time your move to LA just when the May gray June gloom marine layer is at it's most potent. It isn't like this all year, but early summer it's more consistent.

IMO people in LA are pretty chill. If you want rude, try Miami.

Drivers here are reasonable. Again, you wante bad drivers...Miami.

You are near a metro line, you could also use that to get around if driving isn't your thing here.

Give an update at the end of the year to see how you feel then. Enjoy.
LA drivers suck there's no way around it.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:10 AM

95 posts, read 83,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
LA drivers suck there's no way around it.
As do Texas and Colorado drivers.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:23 AM

351 posts, read 341,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
As do Texas and Colorado drivers.
You're dealing with the same level of traffic though

Old 06-27-2018, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 6,184 times
Hello Angelinos! First post on City Data, but I am Los Angeles native.

Living here my entire life, I also concur that traffic does suck. Living in Century City, near the 405 Fwy, also doesn't help. Really puts into perspective the traffic crisis we have in the city. I do walk around the neighborhood and go to the local restaurants, but being an owner of a real estate company that services all of LA, I really have to plan my drives well in advance.

Just plan your drives, give yourself sufficient time and things will get better. I always err on the side of being early as well, so I never feel pressed for time. I find that people get into fender benders when they are rushed, so take that into consideration.

In terms of food and experiences, we are fortunate to have many pockets of awesome ethnic neighborhoods that you can drive to in the morning and spend all day in. Such as Koreatown, Chinatown, etc. Just drive there, park and walk/eat your day away. Once again this all goes into my advice of planning accordingly.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:10 PM

335 posts, read 356,268 times
Welcome to LA. I've been here 8 years. I remember my shock with the traffic for the first 6 months. My idiosyncratic point of view is LA is too grey for the price. I thought it would be sunny and warm all the time... it's definitely not that case.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:31 PM

109 posts, read 86,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz88 View Post
2014 was my first time visiting Los Angeles, been in love with it ever since. Fast forward to March 2018 I'm now a resident. First off what they say is true traffic is a nightmare and living cost is very expense (housing). I live in East Hollywood near Santa Monica and Western its an upcoming area not too bad for my first place in LA. There is a ton or things to do here if you feel like sitting in traffic..lol Coming from the east coast most people here cant drive at all. My company car was hit and my personal car was hit none of the accidents were my fault just people not paying attention.

Food is great depending on what you are in the mood for everything is TACOS and BURRITOS, I like seafood
I'm 30 I would like to buy a house one day but geesh I would have to be a millionaire..seriously
Weather is great like 90% of the time, but that marine layer comes over the city often but eventually clears
Some people are nice but most come off kinda rude IMO, but I don't let it get to me
I love hiking at Griffith Park and Runyon after work and the weekends really nice views

I'm still learning my way around and learning Los Angeles but overall it has been an interesting experience thus far.
What you are saying is something many others have said or realized. That is why the sun belt areas are so transient with people moving in and out all the time.

As far as food here, I do agree it is not as good with variety compared to the East coast or the Gulf coast, but we have some of the best Mexican and Asian food in the country.

Some of what your saying might just be things you are realizing because your coming of age and your priorities are starting to shift. But if you plan on staying here I would wait until the next recession (and we get them every 7-10 years in America) to happen before buying property.

As far as driving, again I agree...but I live in San Diego, I think the drivers are a lot worse and I often wonder why SD never makes any of the national lists of cities with worst drivers. They either drive too slow or too fast.

The rudeness has always been there, but I know the larger cities in the East coast, such as NY, Boston, etc... are worse. But people are more direct there, where here often they are more passive aggressive with their rudeness. People are often more offended easily here, but that is because we are not used to direct rudeness so we take it personal.

Seriously SoCal is not a good place for those with Type-A personalities...San Francisco might be the only city good for those with Type-A personalities.

Yes SoCal might not be as serious or intellectual as the East Coast, but there is constant growth here.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:37 PM

109 posts, read 86,441 times
I also wanted to add, that it really takes awhile to adjust to a new area...Ryan Seacrest spent most of his life in Los Angeles, but now lives in New York City and after a year he is still adjusting.

The first year might be the toughest, but you will be fine as long as you have an open mind on things and try not to compare where you live now, to where you lived before...yes it is hard to do I know, but it can be done.

Good luck and please let us all know how your doing later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles