Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 AM

111 posts, read 466,517 times

Advertisements

Is there a preference with employers for where they would prefer their employee to have went?. Is one school maybe more frowned upon then the next? Im talking about LACC and LBCC. Maybe others? I dunno, thats the only two I know of in the LA Area. Is there others? Also can you attend LA City while living in Long Beach? Or do you have to live in the appropriate city? Is one maybe more well-known for better quality education? You get what Im asking .....one more thing is there a quantity of jobs willing to hire people with an AA (journalism) or would I be wasting my time? (as in most employers want a BA)......any help appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:26 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Santa Monica College is the highest regarded CC in LA. El Camino, West LA, Valley, LACC, and I believe either Glendale or Pasadena has one. I'm not sure. SMCC, ElCo, West LA, and LACC I think are the best, with SMCC being the best. I believe if you attend SMCC for two years, you are guaranteed admission in to UCLA. A lot of people don't believe, but I'm almost positive I read that somewhere.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogexx View Post
Is there a preference with employers for where they would prefer their employee to have went?. Is one school maybe more frowned upon then the next? Im talking about LACC and LBCC. Maybe others? I dunno, thats the only two I know of in the LA Area. Is there others? Also can you attend LA City while living in Long Beach? Or do you have to live in the appropriate city? Is one maybe more well-known for better quality education? You get what Im asking .....one more thing is there a quantity of jobs willing to hire people with an AA (journalism) or would I be wasting my time? (as in most employers want a BA)......any help appreciated...
Pasadena City College is very good and I have heard nothing but good things about SMCC.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:40 AM

111 posts, read 466,517 times
good advice! smcc would be nice....research research!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
My gut feeling is that it doesn't make a significant amount of difference. There are probably a lot of other factors involved in choosing a college (though there have been some posts about getting "guaranteed" admission to UCLA after "graduating" SMC....I'm still skeptical....).

Other factors: Where do you want/can you get housing? Where might you get a part time job? Where is your support network? Which college has the least commute hassle? Where do your friends attend? Which college could you "connect" with a mentor faculty member?

I went to Pierce College simultaneously with CSUN (because I couldn't get a good schedule for the math classes as a freshman) and both were near my home. I also attended Moorpark College when I lived in Moorpark.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogexx View Post
Apologies, I'm a tad cranky this morning, but you asked for "any help." As a hopeful journalist, your writing is going to have to improve . . considerably. My intent is to be constructively critical, not to bash you.

Overly harsh? Probably so. But just one of these mistakes, on a professional job application or even a college application, could prevent your selection. I know, this is just a forum. And it will lead some to go back and proofread my other posts for grammatical errors but . . .

"Is there a preference with employers for where they would prefer their employee to have went?." Over the fence the dog jumped high. How about: When it comes to hiring employees, do employers have a preference for one city college over another?

I see this one more and more in all types of publications and it drives me nuts: "Is one school maybe more frowned upon then the next?" How about: THAN! As far as I know, "than" is still in the dictionary.

"I dunno, thats the only two I know of . . ." I dunno, that's the only two I know of (I'll assume that "dunno" is for casual usage and won't be used on any resume.)

Im talking about . . . I'm talking about

"Is there others?" Are there others.

"You get what Im asking" You get what I'm asking

"one more thing is there a quantity of jobs willing to hire people with an AA" Jobs don't hire people.

Apologies in advance.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Ignoring the extremely unhelpful person above, the schools mentioned in this thread are very good schools. I would check with the schools themselves to see about transferring. I would definitely check about the guaranteed admission to UCLA. UCLA is a very highly regarded school and listing it on your resume will make employers read your resume seriously. Of course, more will be expected of a graduate from UCLA.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:59 AM

55 posts, read 151,483 times
Good for you, JTGJR!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I studied engineering seven years at CSUN and then two years at UCSB. In those eight years I learned a lot.

The other day I was performing some safety calculations for an airplane our company is building. The weather was great and I wanted to get outside and shoot hoops so I just guessed at the answer.

The customer will never know.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
CESpeed, unhelpful with respect to the question of City Colleges? Absolutely! I don't know squat about the quality of the city colleges. But if my post makes a single high schooler applying for college, a grad writing a thesis, or a job applicant filling out a application, to better represent themselves through the written word, then I'm a happy camper. And I thought the OP's title for this thread might bring a few of them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles