Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:51 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times

Advertisements

I was at the Grove this weekend, I only go there about once a year.

I can't get over the women and the tourists there, WOW. It seems like a different crowd all together than the promenade. I know they both attract alot of tourists, but it seems like a much glitzier hollywood crowd.

The promenade I've been to a million times. Would you call it more down to earth there? Maybe its just what Santa Monica attracts.

How would you compare the two places? Do you think the promenade needs a makeover/enhancement to keep up (besides santa monica place changing)? Time to get rid of the dinosaurs?

The grove isn't that big, thats why I dont go there very often....the trolley ride from one end to the other is about 5 minutes. Although riding on the top is pretty cool. The fountain and music is good.

The view of LA from the top of the garage is amazing, thats a must see if you're in LA. Especially at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,118,303 times
They are different animals. The Promenade is more artsy. I wouldn't say "down-to-earth" but I think because of it's close proximity to Venice Beach it has been touched by Venice's the more new age vibe. Just like the Grove is influenced by the more upscale neighborhoods that surround it. So it's more glitzy than the Promenade and I think it's more relaxing because there isn't as much going on (and a lot less homeless people).

Old 03-23-2008, 02:18 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
well i have only been to the grove on a couple occasions and it was when visitors were in town. how they found out about this place is beyond me, but they wantedto to go. i personally didnt like it. it just feels to superficial and fake. its like an open air mall, but a forced one. like they were tryin really hard to have that promenade feel.
as forthe promenade its been years since i have been, but i'd rather find myself at the promenade than the grove. the promenade has always felt more friendly and home grown. not as glitzy i suppose. it just has a cooler vibe as well. tho i havent been back in a long time, i imagine myself ending up at thepromenade before the grove.
next time friends or associates are in town i will take them to the promenade, besides SaMo has so much more to offer. if you get baord with the promenade head over to the pier, or the beach, or a bar.
so per your question...the grove is not cooler than the promenade. you cant beat that offshore cooling trend after all...

Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
The grove is "make believe land" A spin on disneyland. I saw the exact same setup at his Valencia development.

Manicured, perfect, cobblestoned and fresh low rise buildings with landscaping and no traffic. Unfortunately, directly outside this fable is trash on the street and gridlock made even worse by this expansion of the farmers market.

A perfect example of a developer "hit and run" next stop glendale and westwood. ram-rod the developement, make it look pretty, and nobody will notice the lack of planning and negative impact on the existing communities.

No worries for Rick though, he will never have to live with the effects of his developments. He's strategically housed himself up against the pacific ocean in north Malibu & South in Newport with an inland home way, way, way east in Brentwood. Far from his show boat parades.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times
I agree, the grove is definitely a spin on disneyland. Very orange county-ish in terms of being manicured, perfect, cobblestoned.

I give them points for the foutain and music.

The promenade, you're more likely to see a fanny pack, backpack, strollers, somewhat more down to earth and "real", but definitely artsy and quirky. The street performers can be very quirky...like the fortune telling cat, break dancers, guys that sculpt or paint. It reminds me a little of jackson square, new orleans, just a little.

The grove reminds me of a fashion show, or something you'd see in a celebrity magazine. The cheesecake factory looked pretty cool there, I've only eaten at the woodranch bbq.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,873 times
Coming from a Teenager who heavily frequents both.

Promenade- It's a good place to with friends on the weekend, due to the wide array of stuff to do and the large young crowd (there's probably something for everybody), they also have alot of good eateries for large groups (Hooters, Johnny Rockets are 2 favs). The down side is once you finish combing the mall, most of the little boutiques and shops in the surrounding area are closed, and too many homeless people begging.

Grove- It's ok, too many Swanky European adult types, it has a much more professional feel (where as the Promenade is lively-people dancing, playing music etc). The Grove doesn't have any decent boutiques or anything, unless your a 33 year old woman from Calabasas-then it may be of your interest. The plus side is that Melrose and the Farmer's Market aren't far.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
They are different animals. The Promenade is more artsy. I wouldn't say "down-to-earth" but I think because of it's close proximity to Venice Beach it has been touched by Venice's the more new age vibe. Just like the Grove is influenced by the more upscale neighborhoods that surround it. So it's more glitzy than the Promenade and I think it's more relaxing because there isn't as much going on (and a lot less homeless people).
What neighborhoods are around there grove? I've been there a few times, but don't know the neighborhoods.

I do like the fountains that were mentioned.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,118,303 times
The Grove is next to Park LaBrea and Miracle Mile and Melrose District. It's very near Hancock Park, Larchmont Village an Carthay Circle. It shares land with the Farmer's Market on Fairfax and 3rd.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM

413 posts, read 1,846,086 times
Maggiano's Italian at the Grove!!!! In the top 5 Italian I have ever have...Grandmas is #1

I liked the Grove, but the Abercrombie store was laughable, and that's exactly what I did, laughed! It was a little too "perfect" for my tastes. The perfectly molded alpha male standing at the door was rude (as expected) and the store looked about as functional as a cigarette butt.

The Barnes & Noble was nice, huge selection.

The Fountain was awesome the way the lights danced on the water.'

I really liked it...to visit like once a year for Maggiano's

Nice to see, but yeah it had those "European Type" guys everywhere and that's just funny! They try so hard to look cool. Hahaha!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM

92 posts, read 409,603 times
I actually just visited both this past week and I have to say that I liked the Promenade better. As pretty as The Grove is, it seemed like there was much more to do at the Promenade. Also, I didn't feel so crowded in, if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles