Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to LA: ca Angeles, it support jobs, pr agency, apartments for rent, buying a home.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 AM

10 posts, read 17,656 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I will be moving to L.A from the U.K (London) this summer and I'd really appreciate any tips from forum members.

I have a US passport (dad American) and my wife has completed her i-130 imigration visa. I have been working in I.T for the last 15 years (mainly large financial institutions such as UBS, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse ...) and my wife in Media and P.R for some of the biggest media companies in the UK.

Intially we plan to rent ($2000 -$3000 per month) and then buy a home ($750,000 ish). We have been thinking about renting in Pasadena but as we haven't secured jobs yet those plans may change, depending where we find work.

I've been looking on the Internet for resources but would appreciate your thoughts on the following, assuming I know very little )

- When we arrive what must I definitely do ?
register with authorities, apply for a social security card for my wife, driving test (have UK licence), ..........

- What is the job market for I.T and Media/P.R like ?

- Opening bank accounts, getting a cell phone, getting a car ...
as we are moving from the UK we will have no credit history but have a reasonable amount in savings so can put deposits down

- Looking for work
any good websites, should I wear a suit & tie for interview ?
we are both have degrees from good UK universites and 15 years of work epxerience.

- Anything you think may help

Many thanks for your time,

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbardt View Post
Hi,

My wife and I will be moving to L.A from the U.K (London) this summer and I'd really appreciate any tips from forum members.

I have a US passport (dad American) and my wife has completed her i-130 imigration visa. I have been working in I.T for the last 15 years (mainly large financial institutions such as UBS, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse ...) and my wife in Media and P.R for some of the biggest media companies in the UK.

Intially we plan to rent ($2000 -$3000 per month) and then buy a home ($750,000 ish). We have been thinking about renting in Pasadena but as we haven't secured jobs yet those plans may change, depending where we find work.

I've been looking on the Internet for resources but would appreciate your thoughts on the following, assuming I know very little )

- When we arrive what must I definitely do ?
register with authorities, apply for a social security card for my wife, driving test (have UK licence), ..........

If your wife needs a Social Security card, it's won't be difficult, you can make an appointment online for SS Admin and DMV since you'll need driver's licenses

- What is the job market for I.T and Media/P.R like ?

I.T. is pretty good right now, I don't know about PR

- Opening bank accounts, getting a cell phone, getting a car ...
as we are moving from the UK we will have no credit history but have a reasonable amount in savings so can put deposits down

There areseveral American banks that will allow you to open a bank account. Especially if you have substainal savings.

- Looking for work
any good websites, should I wear a suit & tie for interview ?
we are both have degrees from good UK universites and 15 years of work epxerience.

ALWAYS wear a suit and tie to an interview. With your credentials, you shouldn't have a problem.

- Anything you think may help

Many thanks for your time,

Thanks !
With your budget, Pasadena will be no problem. This link craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events is a good general site for both housing and jobs. And these links: Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site and Yahoo! HotJobs - Thousands of jobs. Find the right one. (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com - broken link) are great for job hunting. I'm pretty sure they two of you would be a headhunter's dream. I don't think you'll have a problem finding jobs in Pasadena. At first you'll need to commute to Downtown L.A. but I'd still live in Pasadena. Good Luck.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
applying for your social security cards will be top-priority, because new employers will ask to see it. your banking and credit histories will eventually be tied to that number, as well as your tax identity. plan to spend an entire morning and half the afternoon in the SS office. it takes 2-3 weeks for the card to arrive in the mail.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
DEF GET YOUR CARD FIRST, you can find a job with out it, as plenty of people do, but then you would be limited to warehouse work and packing. so get your SS card and simultaneously look for jobs. pasadena is a great option for you as well.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 AM

10 posts, read 17,656 times
Thanks for all the replies !

We will definitely get the Social Security Card first. I already have a social security number but no card, I guess they can reissue me one fairly easily ?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Getting a new SS card won't be an issue. You don't need to wait until you have it in hand. Most employers will accept your receipt from SS until you get your card and then just take it in. If you have a US passport, you don't have to worry about the SS card for employment. There is a form called the I-9 that you have to fill out that states that you have the legal right to work in the U.S. There are three lists of documentation that is accpetable. If you have anything from column A (passport) you don't need anything else. If you don't have anything from column A. then you need one item from column B (state issued ID) and column C (SS card). The lists might be online.

You are not limited to warehouse jobs without your SS card. Any reputable employer will understand your situation. I have NEVER had a problem getting a job without my SS card and I have ALWAYS worked in an office.

It it very easy to get a new one. You just have to sit in the office forever waiting your turn at the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles