Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:40 AM

13,587 posts, read 15,801,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I remember the Promenade as being open by summer 1990. I was hanging out there, thinking of all the changes. Barnes & Noble had either already opened by then, or was soon about to.

I preferred the pre-Promande. I remember the used CD stores. Midnight Special bookstore. A cheap pizza place near Broadway, which was eventually replaced by Numero Uno Pizza.

I liked the Barnes & Noble, but on the whole, the pre-Promenade was better. Less touristy, less crowded. No pretentious outdoor dining.
I liked the original mall too, and I remember frequenting JJ Newberry's for a grilled hotdog, the donut shop, or the orange julius place when I was little.

And the early years of the new mall were okay because it wasn't as much of a freak show and I don't remember ever fearing for my safety of that of those I was with at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,848,548 times
Man this is driving me crazy but I regularly read thru appellate opinions for this area and there is one where this one 5 years ago where a transient knocked someone changing the movie theatre marquee off the ladder and started beating on him for no reason.

I can't find it now, probably as unpublished opinions aren't saved very long. I found his mugshot at the time from a different arrest and saved it. He really did look like a freak and even had what looked like a tracheotomy scar on this throat suggesting brain damage from lack of oxygen at some point.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:50 AM
DKM

6,766 posts, read 3,916,905 times
I respect the liberal areas that support and enable transients. They are walking their talk at least. It keeps them away from normal areas. I'm sure they think we're backwards hicks out here and I'm fine with that.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:56 AM

20,158 posts, read 9,679,916 times
We went there six years ago and stayed in a very nice B&B about a mile from the pier. We did eat at a waterfront restaurant and walked back to our room at about 10 p.m., and there were no "freaks" at all.

I am just wondering if it changed that much in just six years. (??)

Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,801,058 times
This isn't a thread about homeless people, which is why I didn't post it in the HCT. The aforementioned people wandering around at night are just generally creepy (illicit narcotic consumers, etc.) and many of them possibly have residences, though not in the general area and traveled in via the Metro rail.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:30 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,925,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
Ah yes, Santa Monica. Another fine liberal hamlet. Doing just great, I see.
Yup, even the homeless would rather live in one of these hamlets. lol

Old 10-03-2018, 12:31 PM

136 posts, read 142,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
This isn't a thread about homeless people, which is why I didn't post it in the HCT. The aforementioned people wandering around at night are just generally creepy (illicit narcotic consumers, etc.) and many of them possibly have residences, though not in the general area and traveled in via the Metro rail.

They were aiming for Venice Beach, got off at the wrong stop and ended up in SM.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:59 PM

872 posts, read 604,142 times
How could they tell?????......the beach cities are all just one long excon, vagrant, mentally ill metropolis now- anyone want to try a public (taxpayer paid for) restroom at any of them?

Old 10-03-2018, 01:36 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,917,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
How could they tell?????......the beach cities are all just one long excon, vagrant, mentally ill metropolis now- anyone want to try a public (taxpayer paid for) restroom at any of them?

Really? I thought the beach cities south of LAX -- Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo -- were cleaner, safer, and attracted fewer homeless, than did Venice and Santa Monica. Am I wrong?

Old 10-03-2018, 03:13 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,925,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Really? I thought the beach cities south of LAX -- Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo -- were cleaner, safer, and attracted fewer homeless, than did Venice and Santa Monica. Am I wrong?
There's practically no homeless in the South Bay beach communities, or Malibu winch makes up the majority of LA County beaches. I've been spending a lot of time down there recently, and they are gorgeous areas that i've never really paid attention to, Palos Verdes has to be hands down one of the most gorgeous places within any metro in the country. They just don't have the amenities that SAMO has. Even Del Rey, and Palisades both within LA city limits don't have the same problem, when I think about it the problem is much more isolated when you consider all the LA communities.

It's crazy when people can't see the big picture, and use isolated incidents to cloud their judgement. Even in Santa Monica on most residential streets you'll rarely see these individuals they are mostly cocentrated in areas where there is a ton of pedestrian traffic i.e. major streets, and the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles