Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 11:20 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times

Advertisements

I was at the Santa Monica Pavilion's tonight. The one on Montana Ave. I saw a guy stealing, stuffing water bottles into a HUGE black camping bag.

I went to the security guard at the store's entrance. The thief was about to exit. I told the guard that I'd just seen that guy stealing.

The guard said to the thief, "Don't come around here no more, bro."

Then the guard, and two other store employees, followed the thief out, talking to him and watching him leave. Maybe trying to discourage him from returning?

When the guard returned, I said, "That guy just stole from you."

The guard replied, "Yeah, I can't touch him."

I guess the store is afraid of being sued? Maybe for racism and assault?

The thief was a short black man, very dark skin, age 20s or 30s, with nappy hair. He was dressed entirely in black, as was his HUGE camping bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 12:00 AM

98 posts, read 88,465 times
His boss probably told him they'd rather be out $5 in water than possibly tens of thousands in court costs and settlement bucks. I bet the thief also knows this.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Almost same thing happened to me at a CVS. I saw a guy steal a whole backpack full of expensive makeup. I told the employees and they just watched him run out. All you thieves shoplifting is now perfectly fine. In case you don't already know... which I'm sure you do

Old 10-13-2018, 12:33 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Some say Prop 47 is partially to blame. It reduced penalties for "minor thefts."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/californi...oplifting-jump

ROCKLIN, Calif. – Perry Lutz says his struggle to survive as a small businessman became a lot harder after California voters reduced theft penalties 1½ years ago.

About a half-dozen times this year, shoplifters have stolen expensive drones or another of the remote-controlled toys he sells in HobbyTown USA, a small shop in Rocklin, northeast of Sacramento. "It's just pretty much open season," Lutz said. "They'll pick the $800 unit and just grab it and run out the door."

Anything below $950 keeps the crime a misdemeanor — and likely means the thieves face no pursuit and no punishment, say retailers and law enforcement officials. Large retailers including Safeway, Target, Rite Aid and CVS pharmacies say shoplifting increased at least 15 percent, and in some cases, doubled since voters approved Proposition 47 and ended the possibility of charging shoplifting as a felony with the potential for a prison sentence.

I read a while back that police in Santa Monica (and, I assume, elsewhere in California) are discouraging store owners from prosecuting, because minor shop lifting merely gets a citation. It's not worth the paperwork.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:37 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
The guard did the right thing. At least he let the thief know he was seen and it wasn't okay.
It's not worth risking your life for $12-15 an hour. Especially when CA/Santa Monica laws don't prosecute petty theft.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:24 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
A homeless guy stole some beer at Food for Less a few months ago in Sylmar. The security guard confronted him and got stabbed to death. He sure didn't make enough to have that happen to him.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:56 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
At the Starbucks stores in DTLA, homeless just come in and take food items in the open refrigerators and walk out. Or sometimes don’t even walk out.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:49 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
At the Starbucks stores in DTLA, homeless just come in and take food items in the open refrigerators and walk out. Or sometimes don’t even walk out.
And cue a response from Telemutt in 5...4...3...

Old 10-14-2018, 04:01 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
We really need law and order in this city and state .

But we won’t get it with the current regime that calls criminals “justice affected individuals “

No doubt being soft on crime has encouraged more of this crime . So much of it isn’t even reported . With high rents , high wages , high taxes and high theft /shoplifting L.A doesn’t seem to be an attractive place to run a brick and mortar business . Plus street vending recently legalized so more competition from people that have a Low barrier to entry and hardly any expenses , plus no taxes to pay .

Old 10-14-2018, 01:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We really need law and order in this city and state .

But we won’t get it with the current regime that calls criminals “justice affected individuals “

No doubt being soft on crime has encouraged more of this crime . So much of it isn’t even reported . With high rents , high wages , high taxes and high theft /shoplifting L.A doesn’t seem to be an attractive place to run a brick and mortar business . Plus street vending recently legalized so more competition from people that have a Low barrier to entry and hardly any expenses , plus no taxes to pay .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles