Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 PM

32 posts, read 69,144 times

Advertisements

Courses

I was thinking about taking the Initial Firearms and Guard Card class, as well as the Baton class. Altogether it would cost almost $600. Would that be a good idea, or would I most likely be wasting money? Are security guard jobs relatively easy to get in CA? I have no criminal record, although I have been involuntarily released from a job just a couple months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
avoid firearms. if you have to use it on the job the employer will throw you under the bus to save himself.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM

659 posts, read 940,220 times
First go with Unarmed to get used to Security. Then start getting more classes.

Most security companies, once you're employed, will GIVE you the option after 3 months to take more tests for a higher position. So you can climb up that way.

Getting all those classes and then climbing in head first is asking for trouble even in the security industry. You can make it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Security guard jobs are fairly easy to get, but only pay barely above minimum wage, and you probably won't get 40 hours per week. But if you can stay up all night, you'll get hired without a problem, because all security companies need people to work graveyard shifts.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
All they need is warm bodies to stay awake and follow ridiculously silly post orders. You don't need a class for that stuff.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
All they need is warm bodies to stay awake and follow ridiculously silly post orders. You don't need a class for that stuff.
States require training in order to become licensed, and I believe most states require a license for security. If you're going to carry a gun, you definitely need training on when and how to use it. Most people also need training on laws and when they can arrest someone. They don't understand that security guards only have citizens' arrest powers. However, there is at least one state that gives security guards more than citizens' arrest powers. This state also requires a lot more training than other states.

Being at a site that requires a gun doesn't always mean that it's more dangerous than unarmed sites. I've worked armed sites that were relatively safe, and I have worked unarmed sites that should have required a gun. It's usually up to the client. They often don't care about the safety of the security guard or the other people at the site. They just want a warm body for deterrence, but don't want the liability of having an armed guard on their property.

I'd much rather have a gun. I'd rather be dealing with a case in court than be shot dead. There are companies that provide insurance and/or prepaid legal plans to security guards. As long as you're actively paying your $10 or so a month, your legal services will be completely covered when and if you ever need them.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Security guards are only supposed to observe and report. The weapons are usually just for show.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 AM

473 posts, read 796,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Security guards are only supposed to observe and report. The weapons are usually just for show.

And you know this how?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
To the OP, your security firm should pay for your training. That is how it works in South Carolina anyway. If they want you to be armed, they will pay for the extra training. I'm certified to carry on my job here, but my company only has one armed contract and that's the one everyone wants to be at.

Pay for Security Officers suck though.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment