Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM

23 posts, read 31,998 times

Advertisements

When my husband and I had been dating for a year, he asked me to move in with him. He lives in his mom's garage, so naturally that's where I would live. I love him and never questioned our ability to move out one day, without regard of when this day would come. They were actually "helping" me by the mom charging me only $250 compared to the $630 I used to pay for a studio. The garage was no better, but wasn't worse either and now I was with my love. A year later we decided to get married and even though people would ask me why do I have to pay rent when I'm married to him, it never occurred to me that I would stop paying rent to continue living there until last week (more than a year after our marriage).

Someone reported that my mom-in-law has an attachment to the house next to the garage, which consists of our restroom and room for the washing machine and drier. We have removed the bed from our room and put everything in black bags to make it seem like it's a storage when the inspectors come tomorrow. Most likely they won't say anything about the garage and we can move back in like normal, but for sure they will get rid of the bathroom/restroom. That means that now it'll be FOUR people getting ready in the main bathroom, and I'll have to share with his grumpy sister. She and I clash as it is and she always fights with her submissive brother when they're getting ready; I can't imagine being able to take it like my husband, and that's when more problems will start. Last night we barely slept on an inflatable bed and tonight we'll have to stay at my mom's overburdened tiny apartment to avoid being seen when the inspector comes tomorrow morning.

My mother-in-law will naturally hide that anyone pays rent here because she doesn't want them to think she has "tenants." Yet I've paid as a tenant. Not only that, I haven't even been able to keep receipts because she wants the payments only in cash to evade taxes. I accepted it even though I like to keep those types of receipts because you never know. But now I'm not so sure. She seems afraid. She was telling me, "Remember, I never asked you to pay rent, only what you can give to help out." Weird because I haven't even brought up my doubts about paying rent. My mom says I got her used to me paying my $250 a month, so that she might now expect it, but with all that's happening, it might be a time to have a talk about this with her.

What do you guys think? Am I right or wrong but not seeing it? If I'm wrong to think this way, please talk reason to me. My plan is for us to move out within a year and no later than two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 01:19 PM

98 posts, read 88,465 times
This forum was running low on living in garage posts. Thank you.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:22 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
How about move out and get your own place, then you can quit paying her.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,903 times
If i was an inspector i would leave something behind so I could come back the next day and catch ppl moving back in

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
This.

It's time for you and your husband to be on your own.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:07 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I don't think an inspector is going to be fooled by putting the beds in a black garbage bag. While living in a cheap place, I hope you have been saving money up to move out, if not, start now. You mentioned you were previously paying over $600 a month, so it seems to me, you should be able to save at least $400 a month, if not more, your dh also needs to save whatever he can for"phantom rent" I mean whatever money he is saving by living at home, should be saved, not spent. Then you can move somewhere with bit more space & some privacy.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't think an inspector is going to be fooled by putting the beds in a black garbage bag. While living in a cheap place, I hope you have been saving money up to move out, if not, start now. You mentioned you were previously paying over $600 a month, so it seems to me, you should be able to save at least $400 a month, if not more, your dh also needs to save whatever he can for"phantom rent" I mean whatever money he is saving by living at home, should be saved, not spent. Then you can move somewhere with bit more space & some privacy.
That’s my ideal, but my husband wants to stay because his mom always cries that she can’t make it on her own. We would’ve been gone a long time ago if it were up to me.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
if i was an inspector i would leave something behind so i could come back the next day and catch ppl moving back in
lol

Old 10-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I’d love to do that, but my husband doesn’t want to leave yet. The mom says she can’t make it on her own. She needs his help.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:01 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
No, you're husband needs his mommy, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles