Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

These fires are reminding me of the fires we had in approximately October of 1993. I believe a lot of the same areas are burning and this fire seems to be spreading particularly fast as did the '93 fire if I recall correctly. And also the property loss has been particularly high as I believe it was in '93.

Anybody else having the same eerie feeling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:22 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Yes. I remember the 1993 fire. I was on the beach in Santa Monica, working on the set of a film.

The smoke from Malibu kept rising, and moving farther west. The director had to keep moving the camera, and the actors, to keep the smoke out of frame.

Fire trucks kept coming by on the PCH, sirens screaming, so we had to keep stop filming. Many of us on set were mesmerized by the spreading smoke clouds.

Eventually, when the sky became too full of smoke, the director gave up and we wrapped early.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
I have been watching the news about the fire.

Also took this photo from the northern end of Corbin Ave in Porter Ranch...

Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Yes, this event absolutely reminds me of the 1993 fires. It looked like a glowing volcano from the 118 back then.

The sheer size and scope of the Woolsey fire is what caught my attention this time. People who are complaining, "Why did you just let my house burn?" have no idea how difficult it is to move resources around on narrow mountain roads, etc.

A coworker's house is in danger in West Hills. I just visited him and his wife for a BBQ a month ago, and my first thought when seeing their neighborhood was: "Wow, they're awfully close to that hill." Then again, I've lived here all my life, so of course it's the first thing I think of. They're both from out of state, so they had no idea. I can only hope and pray that their house is still standing.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:27 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Supposed to drive to Santa Barbara tomorrow from San Diego.

With the 101 closed due to the fires, what suggestions do you all have for the best alternate route?

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:04 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Supposed to drive to Santa Barbara tomorrow from San Diego.

With the 101 closed due to the fires, what suggestions do you all have for the best alternate route?

Thanks.
5 north
118 west
23 south
101 north

Old 11-10-2018, 06:44 PM

I think the 101 is supposed to open sometime this evening; at least that was their best guess at a press conference an hour ago.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yes, this event absolutely reminds me of the 1993 fires. It looked like a glowing volcano from the 118 back then.

The sheer size and scope of the Woolsey fire is what caught my attention this time. People who are complaining, "Why did you just let my house burn?" have no idea how difficult it is to move resources around on narrow mountain roads, etc.

A coworker's house is in danger in West Hills. I just visited him and his wife for a BBQ a month ago, and my first thought when seeing their neighborhood was: "Wow, they're awfully close to that hill." Then again, I've lived here all my life, so of course it's the first thing I think of. They're both from out of state, so they had no idea. I can only hope and pray that their house is still standing.
I wonder how many transplants who purchase homes in these heavily wooded areas fully understand the danger to homes presented by brush fires. Real estate agents are required by law to disclose the danger, but I wonder just how earnest an effort they're making since discouraging purchases is not in their best financial interest.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:32 PM

276 posts, read 222,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I wonder how many transplants who purchase homes in these heavily wooded areas fully understand the danger to homes presented by brush fires. Real estate agents are required by law to disclose the danger, but I wonder just how earnest an effort they're making since discouraging purchases is not in their best financial interest.
That's exactly right. In dry CA, building adjacent to the wildlands, is almost a guarantee of such a disastrous event occurring sooner or later. Likewise, building on ridges or in canyons adjacent to steep slopes, a surefire way to get destroyed by mudslides.

After one such close call in my younger days in Malibu, I learned very quickly where NOT to buy or build a home! Unfortunately, even the least fire-prone areas there, the peninsula of Pt. Dume, just got partly hit last night, arghhh.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 PM

Yes, that's an interesting question. Of course, these really bad fires, while becoming more frequent in recent years, usually only happen in the same area every twenty or thirty years, so maybe people think the risk is worth it?

I remember when the Verdugo Hills were on fire during the La Tuna Fire last year, there was one burned down house that the fire crews called "indefensible" due to the topography. Would you rebuild in such a situation? I'm not sure I would, knowing it could happen again - and in fact, it's probably just a matter of when, not if.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles