Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,517,629 times

Advertisements

These people on Twitter are idiots . They really think there’s going to be a bunch of new apartments sitting empty in Warner Center .

Median household income in area according to city data is:

Warner Center (Woodland Hills): $106,355

So many run down apartment buildings in L.A Many are willing and able to pay these higher rents for new builds .
—-
“There is an insane amount of 5-7 story apt buildings being constructed in Warner Center. Worried there is only a finite amount of people willing to live there (esp at 3k/mo+ rents). We need to spread the activity citywide and zone for under 35' (cheaper).”

“Couldn't agree more. Worried that most of those apt are going to remain empty.”

Link
https://mobile.twitter.com/housingfo...88425349664768
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 PM

545 posts, read 515,922 times
Because by allocating 10% to 15% to affordable housing, they get a huge density bonus and are allowed to build a ton more units. Same thing happening in No Ho.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,883,244 times
Plenty of "affordable" apartments in Van Nuys for those who seek it. Affordable housing already exists in the Warner Center with people living in cars and on the street.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,573,060 times
I spent 1.5 years in Warner Center. Most of the new housing going up is replacing parking lots and low rise warehouses. As these new luxury apartments come on line then that lowers rents in the older apartments (and there are older complexes in Warner Center).

The valley has lots of these old, run down office parks/warehouse areas and it has a ton more wide open parking lots. We should be throwing incentives and clearing regulations for developers to build housing on those. The more of these mega projects that get built, the more room will be available in older complexes.

Look at the old Fry's on Canoga. That place is not long for this world. The store keeps trying to bring in weirder merchandise and eventually it will close and go online. That is a huge property that could be another complex with some retail.

Incentives for affordable housing are great in the overpriced and built out markets, but the valley has tons of these underused properties that developers would jump on if we got government out of the way. It could be similar to their plans at the old sears property in NoHo or the Topanga mall in WC.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I spent 1.5 years in Warner Center. Most of the new housing going up is replacing parking lots and low rise warehouses. As these new luxury apartments come on line then that lowers rents in the older apartments (and there are older complexes in Warner Center).

The valley has lots of these old, run down office parks/warehouse areas and it has a ton more wide open parking lots. We should be throwing incentives and clearing regulations for developers to build housing on those. The more of these mega projects that get built, the more room will be available in older complexes.

Look at the old Fry's on Canoga. That place is not long for this world. The store keeps trying to bring in weirder merchandise and eventually it will close and go online. That is a huge property that could be another complex with some retail.

Incentives for affordable housing are great in the overpriced and built out markets, but the valley has tons of these underused properties that developers would jump on if we got government out of the way. It could be similar to their plans at the old sears property in NoHo or the Topanga mall in WC.
Yeah that’s true , that’s a point of view that isn’t really mentioned at least in the media .

Yeah there is a lot of warehouse space around I don’t think much of it is empty but could be a way to redevelop them or do some kind of mixed use projects I imagine . I know in Santa Monica there used to be a lot of buildings like that on Olympic and now they look nicer at least .
If these commercial properties are redeveloped that won’t be “displacing “ anyone too .
Kind of like downtown la a lot of the new development was never housing , it was industrial /commercial space.

Canoga Park could use some gentrification. A lot of the development is actually in Canoga Park I believe but they use the Warner Center name .

The Westfield Topanga and Topanga village are both in Canoga Park but they don’t like to make a point of that so they call it “Topanga “

Regarding Frys I wonder how they stay in business . They do seem to sell a lot of random stuff . The Burbank one is the same . I know they do Online sales so maybe their online business is keeping them afloat.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Plenty of "affordable" apartments in Van Nuys for those who seek it. Affordable housing already exists in the Warner Center with people living in cars and on the street.
Yeah or even Canoga Park next door , or winnetka which are both closer than Van Nuys and I think less expensive overall .

Old 11-15-2018, 10:55 PM

4,497 posts, read 3,945,570 times
I think it's a question of balance. Right now it seems that Warner Center is becoming overrun with apartments. However, when the Warner Center 2035 Plan comes to fruition there will be a ton of added office space, retail and hospitality to balance it out. The Plan is to make WC a live/work/play neighborhood. It could be the model for future development in LA with the goal of reducing drive times and congestion while enhancing quality of life. As far as "affordable" housing, the older areas and buildings surrounding WC can handle that as others have mentioned.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM

8,595 posts, read 11,026,172 times
Affordable housing is all over Southern California, from Bel-air, to Blythe.
Affordable housing is housing that people can afford.
Doesn't much mater if the rent is $500 a month, or $5000 a month.
People afford what they feel they can pay for rent.

As I stated earlier, what needs to change is the government's definition of housing for folks that don't earn much money.
People that don't earn much money are, by definition, low income.
They need low income housing that they can afford.

There is a huge difference in low income housing and affordable housing, as I have shown in my first sentence in this post.
If I decided I can afford to pay $4000 a month to rent a sea side retreat, than I obviously can afford it, so that place becomes affordable housing, for me.
Low income housing would be for people who make little money, and can't afford to live in a $4000 rental.

Bob.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,388,465 times
Default Union labor??? residential construction????

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
There is no "affordable" housing because with all the costs (e.g. union labor), taxes, etc., developers are only incentivized to build luxury type apartments where they can actually eke out a profit.

Unless cities provide some sort of special financial incentives, this type of construction will continue.
There is virtually ZERO so-called Union labor in residential construction. It's an underground economy industry.

fyi El Monte, Ca in the San Gabriel Valley is building huge numbers of frame-up townhouse and apt. housing. Sells out immediately.

This "issue" has been ongoing for decades. LA needs to go UP, not OUT. Follow cities like Vancouver, BC and go concrete high-rise. You've already got the transit and train corridors. Make it happen. Other cities are decades ahead of LA.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,173,162 times
If we build up there will be no limits on street traffic.

And if we develop affordable living it won't remain affordable for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles