Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 05:11 PM

71 posts, read 60,804 times

Advertisements

While I haven't dug up a ton of data, the cost to enter the market, as a new purchaser or even renter, is much greater than the average median salary, around 67K/year, would afford for a single person in LA. As a couples it seems more doable but not reasonably doable- a 650K plus mortgage with 10% down and PMI would pretty much preclude saving and investing and some other general quality of life luxuries if you will. The current median home price cannot comfortably and reasonably be afforded at these salary levels- for new entrants especially. This leads me to believe a relatively large piece of the population has been established, or otherwise owned for a considerable amount of time, at least a decade, when prices were at least 20% less and perhaps buying in the late 90s or early 2000s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 05:18 PM

276 posts, read 222,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbar View Post
While I haven't dug up a ton of data, the cost to enter the market, as a new purchaser or even renter, is much greater than the average median salary, around 67K/year, would afford for a single person in LA. As a couples it seems more doable but not reasonably doable- a 650K plus mortgage with 10% down and PMI would pretty much preclude saving and investing and some other general quality of life luxuries if you will. The current median home price cannot comfortably and reasonably be afforded at these salary levels- for new entrants especially. This leads me to believe a relatively large piece of the population has been established, or otherwise owned for a considerable amount of time, at least a decade, when prices were at least 20% less and perhaps buying in the late 90s or early 2000s.
So what's new? This has been discussed at length on various posts in the SF and LA forums.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
the cost to enter the market, as a new purchaser or even renter, is much greater than the average median salary, around 67K/year.....- a 650K plus mortgage with 10% down and PMI would pretty much preclude saving and investing and some other general quality of life luxuries...The current median home price cannot comfortably and reasonably be afforded at these salary levels- for new entrants especially.
New entrants used to look at condos, fixers, and starter homes, not median priced homes. Not sure why that would be any different today. Most starter/fixers are priced at well under $ 650 K, unless one is looking at exclusive neighborhoods.

Quote:
This leads me to believe a relatively large piece of the population has been established, or otherwise owned for a considerable amount of time, at least a decade, when prices were at least 20% less and perhaps buying in the late 90s or early 2000s.
Many first time buyers bought in around 2012, when the housing market was at its last low...only 7 years ago.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
New entrants used to look at condos, fixers, and starter homes, not median priced homes. Not sure why that would be any different today. Most starter/fixers are priced at well under $ 650 K, unless one is looking at exclusive neighborhoods.

Many first time buyers bought in around 2012, when the housing market was at its last low...only 7 years ago.
In checking the records well over 2,000,000 homes sold in SoCal in the last 10 years.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/12/2...four-year-low/

Old 04-24-2019, 06:14 PM

276 posts, read 222,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The median is the median, there's plenty of homes under the median as there are over the median. The coastal parts of LA have the highest prices, and difficult to impossible for most first-time buyers. Inland areas are more affordable, if you are willing to do the long commutes, the air pollution, the hot summers.

Fixers represent a bit of a problem, because many cannot be loaned with FHA, or even conventional. The loan options on those are much more limited, and require larger down payments, better credit scores, licensed general contractors and high rehab costs.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In checking the records well over 2,000,000 homes sold in SoCal in the last 10 years.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/12/2...four-year-low/
What is your point here, expat? (And there's a paywall on your link.)

Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 PM

354 posts, read 414,972 times
My husband and I left California in 1993, not because of the riots that you mentioned but he retired and we wanted a life of camping and boating and we moved to Lake Havasu City and the best years of my life were there. We boated and camped during the summer. We had all kinds of friends and we lived each day as if it were our last. We owned our house there for three years before retiring and we hated to drive back to Los Angeles. My husband is now deceased and I wish I lived back in Los Angeles but you are right I could not afford either of the houses we owned. All of the Californians are moving here in Prescott, mass groves of people moving here. I would not give up our times boating on LaKe Havasu and fishing. Loved our life there, not in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles